The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cost of a top producer? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I would be very surprised if one of 'those' guys/gals came on here and said how much they make. It's the internet, and anyone can read it and read into it anyways they want.

So if they say they make $10k/song, they tell another client $11k, and that client says "I saw how much you charge online! You're ripping us off!" I'm sure management would be the ones hashing it out or arguing, but that'd be the idea... wouldn't it?

I'm purely guessing! I record in my basement and charge next to nothing :( But even I got cheesed when a client went on facebook and said how much he pays me. Cause now anyone who see's that will expect the same.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut
I know people like James Paul Wisner (Underoath, Paramore, The Academy Is, Dashboard Confessional) only charge about 2k a song. While the Ross Robinson and Elvis Baskett do more around 5-10k a song. Theres a lot of people down here in Miami that have done big songs in the rap industry and only charge about 1k .
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
And what sort of things did he "do" gogar? That seems fair for a guy engineering and organizing production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrd View Post
We can assume he engineered as well??
Yes he engineered 90% of the time, and produced. Pretty square deal for everyone IMO. The room was nice, the gear selection was not amazing but much more than adequate.

If it was 1995 I bet we would have paid 3 times as much.
Old 4th September 2011
well..

Nail them with your music, then reel em in quick!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin7475 View Post
Could someone tell me an approximate figure of how much it would cost to have an album produced by a top producer, the likes of ben, romesh, etc?? lets just say ive won the lottery...
heh

Might be a vague question but i have no clue just need some advice from someone knowledgable.
Old 5th September 2011
CXP
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post
no

undercut their price by using the pc built in soundcard
I have a 4-track I can use for that "analog" feel!

Sometimes I think those high-paid console monkeys are as lucky as they are good. If a Grammy-style song lands in your lap and you have decent skills, you win. Pretty sure I could've produced SGT Pepper's just fine!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you were Dr Luke, would you take less than $1m to write and produce Keshas next album?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
I think there is some gross over- estimation going on in this thread! $100k per track?!?!!
Indeed. Quite a hefty detachment from reality there...

OP, you should just send an email to the people you have in mind. You never know, you may be pleasantly surprised. Overall rates for producers/engineers/mixers have dropped wildly over the last few years. These people would rather be working than not...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAM View Post
Indeed. Quite a hefty detachment from reality there...

OP, you should just send an email to the people you have in mind. You never know, you may be pleasantly surprised. Overall rates for producers/engineers/mixers have dropped wildly over the last few years. These people would rather be working than not...
Yes, but at the same time one has to see the big picture and builds a career that is foundedi in sound business acumen and sustainability, nit desperation and devaluation!!!
Old 5th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
If you were Dr Luke, would you take less than $1m to write and produce Keshas next album?
Whilst the terms ARE often used interchangeably, writing is NOT the same credit as producing. you can produce something without writing it; you can write something without producing it. Sometimes as a writer, you get a production credit whilst someone else (usually the engineer) has ACTUALLY done all the production! (bitter, me?!).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search