The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade my Speck ASC EQ Powersupply Equalisers (HW)
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

Upgrade my Speck ASC EQ Powersupply

So I've got a pair of the Speck ASC-T EQs, and I really love them. For the price there's nothing out there that really compares.

What I have noticed is they can be a tad noisy (hiss not hum) when boosting a lot.

They come with a wall-wort style power supply. So my question is, would upgrading/replacing the power supply have any effect on the noise floor? Has anyone tried something like this on these EQs?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Nobody has tried this?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of ASC T's and have never encountered the noise you mentioned. Is the gain control at unity, (12:00 o'clock)?

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

I'd have to try some settings again, but I think I'm mostly hearing the hiss when I'm boosting the high-end. The gain knob could be at unity or lower in this case. It's not a whole lot of hiss, but it definitely adds more noise than some of my other EQs (specifically the Great River EQ2NV).

It's by no means an unusable amount of noise, and probably not even apparent in a full mix, but I thought it might be a fun/beneficial diy project.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Increasing the VA size of the power module will not solve excessive hiss. The internal power supply (and its external power transformer) is already overrated and will power up to 3 ASC units.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the reply Vince. I didn't realize that the external piece was only the transformer, but that makes complete sense.

As I mentioned, I really love this EQ. Do you guys have any plans on branching out into compressors/limiters? I would definitely be interested in that!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search