The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help EQ'ing vocals. Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Head

Need help EQ'ing vocals.

Ive just started using channel strip plugins for vocals and i was wondering if its ok to use a normal parametric eq before a channel strip plug in. i would only use the parametric eq to low cut and bump and cut here and there then the channel strip to taylor the actual vocal sound. i want to use the parametric first bc i like using the analyzer that comes with it so i can actually see the frequency of the voice.

the plugins on my vocal track would looks as follows:

-de esser
-eq
-channel strip

then send to compressor bus.

would this be okay or is it a little overkill? please help!!

thanks.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

My vocal chain is way longer. Use whatever you need.

-Ben B
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

when itb or hybrid i have no problem using something like digi 7 band to cut problems out before something else for "vibe/mojo" eq. go for whatever works.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
"220, 221, whatever it takes..."
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Very common practice.
Most of my channels have a Parametric (X-eq), then a Channel-strip.
I use the Parametric to cut everything I don't want. HP/LP & notch filters mostly. Then the Channel-strip EQ to "sweeten".
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
"220, 221, whatever it takes..."
Yes!

I use multiple eqs all the time on all sorts of stuff. Often two of the same eq.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Use whatever you need.
Really.

I EQ on the way in with a hardware channel strip and then use as many instances of software EQ (I also like Digi 3) as it takes after that to get things right at the various stages of mixing my vox track.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

my vocal chain:

fader automation.
one EQ.
one compressor.
de-esser (when needed).
more fader automation.

maybe 2% of the time i'll put a second EQ on. on certain singers once in a while i'll rig up a multiband compressor to tame peaky 3khz stuff, or, if i'm suitably motivated, i'll automate the high-mid band on the Digi EQ.

pretty much every time i've tried to use multiple compressors in series, it hasn't done anything special. usually means i just need to use my one compressor better, move my fader better, or mix the rest of the track better.

i think that half the reason digital gets such a bad rap is because i see young dudes with like 13 inserts on their vocal track and it's all turned into swiss cheese.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

You can use 1 EQ or 10 EQ's, but remember, less is MORE.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
whatever it takes...
What he said.

Just make sure you go through the usual process of auditioning the MICS you have per singer - as sometimes it's not always the obvious choice mic that is the best tool for the job. You may even find one mic is best for verses and another for choruses.

Be flexible - not all set ups work for every situation. The "cheap mic" might sound best. It happens!
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

thank you guys! this was actually really comforting to read. im still fairly new and thought using more than one eq for some reason was wrong. even though nothings wrong as long as it sounds good.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

i have a LESS IS MORE approach for Vox

EQ into a Compressor.

Roll off anything below 100hz, high shelf from 5k on up (boost untill the vox is bright enough to sit in the mix), preferably an SSL Channel EQ

1176 Compressor - 4:1 ratio, medium attack-fast release, and SLAM IT! Adjust it so you get 8-10 db gain reduction on loud passages, and about 5-6db gain reduction on normal passages.

now you just automate or ride them volume faders......
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
... SLAM IT!
By that do you mean just turn the threshold up so its a real hard compression?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseo90 View Post
the plugins on my vocal track would looks as follows:
-de esser
-eq
-channel strip
Firstly, I'll just echo what most other people have been saying here -- an EQ before your main compression is very useful for vocals in my experience, if only to scotch any unwanted low-end bumps and plosives from sending the compression into a spin. If you start getting too involved in EQ'ing pre-compression, though, you have to remember that the compressor may then be trying to fight you: boost at 1kHz and the compressor will also become more sensitive to 1kHz, which may undermine your purpose.

However, beyond that, I would personally recommend that you put the de-esser after any compression, simply because the compression is often what causes sibilance to be a problem in the first place. Again, if you put the de-esser before the compressor, then the compression may fight the de-essing.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Jseo90,

On an 1176 there is no threshold control. It is fixed(well, it is fixed at each ratio individual ratio), you adjust the input level to hit the threshold to obtain the amount of compression( this depends on the ratio; 4, 8, 12, and 20 db) you desire, then use the output control to get the level you wish to have. The higher the level of gain reduction on an 1176, the higher the threshold. People also like to use a setting called "all buttons in" which is when you push all four ratio buttons in. This is the same thing as pressing the outer two(4 and 20), because in the circuit, the capacitor (or capacitors) inside of the selected are taken out of the over all circuit. People just like to push all four down.
This is also only if your machine is calibrated correctly.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

I keep things simple with vocals. SSL EQ, 1176 or LA2A compression depending on the song, sometimes De-ess, sometimes not, automate and done. That's the way I work. If you feel you need another way to get you there, go for it.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thank you guys! this was actually really comforting to read. im still fairly new and thought using more than one eq for some reason was wrong. even though nothings wrong as long as it sounds good.
Here's the thing, unless the manufacturer/programmer incorporated the "sound" of a particular piece of hardware or console into the plugin, all EQ plugins sound the same. The only variables would be any fixed EQ points, Q, or HP/LP filters.

Flame on.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
By that do you mean just turn the threshold up so its a real hard compression?
yes. Depending on the type of song......

I personally like to hit it quite hard about 6-7db gain reduction, sometimes more if its a hard rock song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search