The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does mackie Universal control affect sound?
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

Hi, New user and first time poster and I have kind of a dumb question. I am thinking about getting either the Mackie Universal Controller or the Command 8 to control Pro Tools 9 on a Mac. I have an apogee ensemble as my interface and I love the converters. Do either of those controllers change sound coming out of monitors? Also is either one capable of controlling effects plugins (like for sweeping an EQ).

Thanks
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

Control surfaces will NOT change any sound as they do not process sound. They just tell software what to do.
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you. I saw this on another thread, that's why i asked

""How is the monitoring on the Command 8? I've seen some threads warning of noise and the usual descriptors ("smaller sounding") but is anyone using the monitor section and happy with it? I know I can completely ignore it but I'm curious.""

If anyone know if I can control automate EQ knobs, that would be great.

Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

If you use the analog monitoring section, it can most definitely have an effect on the sound. If you're worried about getting the best analog monitoring for your studio, you can get a dedicated monitoring controller like the Cranesong Avocet.

Crane Song Avocet

-Ben B
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

the Command-8 contains a monitor section - essentially a volume knob in front of your speakers. The Mackie does not as far as I can tell from the photos.

how this volume control is achieved can slightly color the sound or add noise. This is probably what the people are complaining about in the Command-8.

Your Ensemble seems to have a volume control and headphone jacks already, so if you end up with the command-8 you could use it strictly as a controller and bypass the monitoring section.

as Elpimpo says, the actual controller part of either of these boxes will not affect the sound, it's just a "mouse" when you come right down to it.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Most plugins will map to the rotary encoders on a control surface. So you can do things like select an channel, select a plugin, select which range of plugin parameter will be controlled by the available knobs, figure out which knob is doing what and then twist the night away. I only use this when I want to close my eyes and listen for what sounds right. I still have to go through all the trouble before grabbing the knob and closing my eyes. Otherwise it's faster to just use the mouse. A lot of times I can click on a virtual knob and use the mouse scroll wheel (PC) to set something without looking.

There are some controllers coming out with dedicated sections for EQ and such. And of course the big time Digi desks have this. But that's another barrel of green.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search