The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drums: no place for overheads, what to do
Old 31st August 2011
Drums: no place for overheads, what to do

my room is 2,50m high and i have no place for overhead mics. i heard about putting them in front of the kit, but how? advice please.
Old 31st August 2011
I'd place them behind the drummer, a foot or two above the shoulders, pointed at the drum heads.
Old 31st August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
my room is 2,50m high and i have no place for overhead mics. i heard about putting them in front of the kit, but how? advice please.
Try

1. A modified glynn johns approach - one by the ride low, pointing at the Floor Tom, and another either behind or in front. Or right above the center of the kit high as your room allows. Search Slutz for Glynn Johns...

2. A pair low and pointed at the cymbals slightly above them.

3. One 5-6 ft in front of the kit, very height for balance and another over the drummer's shoulder pointing at the snare...

4. Try somewhere else in your place...

best of luck-
Jonathan
Old 31st August 2011
So, about 8 feet high... it's not ideal but I suspect you actually do have room for mics above the drums.

Rather than try to 'angle' them in from the front or back, I think I'd still try to get a pair of cardioids above the cymbals, counting on the directionality of the mics to reject the ceiling reflections. If you tried coming in at an angle from front or back, I'd be afraid of picking up early reflections from that ceiling.

That said, as always, experiment to find the best placement in your circumstance.
Old 31st August 2011
You can mic the cymbals from underneath as well.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
Lots of people do a fairly compact Glyn Johns setup. I've done it with either a home-made absorber or a Reflexion filter between the forward mic and the ceiling.

For short rooms, a mid-side pair out front with the mid looking at the drummer's face has worked great for me. Add diffusion to the side walls out where the sides are looking.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

In my space the ceiling is only a click over 7', and I do just fine with my O-H's over the kit. They are set up as a spaced pair.
Not ideal of course but it hasn't stopped my from working. Only thing I can't really do is use ribbon mics, phase problems
Old 31st August 2011
Jai guru deva om

My overhead mics are generally no higher than 6' (2m), seems it should be OK. If anything just use them a bit lower, and maybe more over the drummer's head looking THROUGH the kit.

War
Old 31st August 2011
Fix up a ceiling mount to hang a goose neck then a TBar?

Tape 2 pzm MICS to the side walls?
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post

do a search here for "underheads" and you will find a lot of discussion of specifics

a lot of people prefer this method even when they have high ceilings

IMO your ceilings are not too low for overheads provided they are well treated. good thick absorbers on a low ceiling will act like a very high ceiling.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
My overhead mics are generally no higher than 6' (2m), seems it should be OK. If anything just use them a bit lower, and maybe more over the drummer's head looking THROUGH the kit.

War
This or Glynn Johns
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I have just over 7' and do fine with overheads.

If you can get the cymbals lower, as the drummer, but you should still be good as long as the ceiling isn't super reflective. If so, maybe you should treat it if you are planning on recording there in the future.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search