The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which DAW?
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

Which DAW?

Hey

So I am graduating very belatedly from a knackered old computer and Reason 3 to a new PC... but I'm a bit adrift and unsure which one is for me. I do roughly equal amounts of audio tracking and MIDI stuff and tend to mix in the box. I had a look at this guide Buying DAW Software - A Helpful Guide | Music Matter which was pretty helpful but I'd still appreciate some tips...

Cheers in advance!
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

If you're already familiar with reason why not just upgrade to the latest version?
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase man. It will take about 5 minutes to realize how much reason sucks
Old 31st August 2011
Reaper 4 is the jam.

For MIDI, I mostly use Ableton Live though. Can't beat it. I've grown to actually like the audio workflow in the past year or so as well. Either one would do the trick.
Old 31st August 2011
Reaper is the way to go. No dongles - no bloatware - no hassels.

The effects and instruments in Cubase are not good enough to justify the huge price difference.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Stick with Reason if you're used to it... Reason 6 is out in a month and you can actually record audio in it!
Old 31st August 2011
Whoohoo - a DAW that finally allows to record audio!

Do you want to record audio, or just play a bunch of virtual instruments? How deep do you want to get?

IMO, 3rd party instruments are the best, so this should not influence your choice of DAW.

Pick something stable, with no strings attached (most of the major DAWs have major companies behind them using the DAWs to steer you in particular hardware directions, to a greater or lesser degree).

Reaper is fast becoming the defacto universal DAW - many people abandon the major name DAWs due to frustrations. Uncrippled full version shareware - no problems, only your own conscience to force you to pay for it. Rapid development from a team of people who aren't motivated by commercial pressures, and obviously passionate about delivering a cutting edge product that meets the needs of it's passionate user base.

Just download it now and see for yourself - there is zero reason to delay.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

stick to the one you're used to......

I like Logic, so I use logic... no major problems with it whatsoever..... I get around ProTools too, but only because it's the "industry standard" but it's been a while since I've touched it......
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for Reaper!
Old 1st September 2011
CXP
Gear Maniac

First let me put on my bullet proof vest and helmet. Ok here we go...

Sonar has always given me good balance between real audio and MIDI capabilities. Been using it since Pro Audio 9 and use X1 Pro today.
Old 1st September 2011
Reaper will make it for you!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Reaper is a DAW more than REASON which is not intended for recording purposes out of itself? Reason in conjunction with some other syncable program is a good tool.

Matti
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIFrank View Post
Hey

So I am graduating very belatedly from a knackered old computer and Reason 3 to a new PC... but I'm a bit adrift and unsure which one is for me. I do roughly equal amounts of audio tracking and MIDI stuff and tend to mix in the box. I had a look at this guide Buying DAW Software - A Helpful Guide | Music Matter which was pretty helpful but I'd still appreciate some tips...

Cheers in advance!
sonar x1
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I just popped for the $60 license for Reaper after demoing it for awhile. This is in addition to Logic, Digital Performer and Pro Tools. No, I do not "need" another DAW :-) but it's built in elastique time has done a better job a slowing down full mixes than Logic (using flex or Radius) or pro tools. And, I wanted to support the developer. It really is fantastic. The good news is that you can try it out for yourself. I would strongly advise reading the manual and watching some tutorials on it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search