The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools 9 Track Count
Old 31st August 2011
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Pro Tools 9 Track Count

not looking to start a fight with this.. yet...Just a question

I record at 88.2 on PT 9. Is there any way to increase the track count? Not the "work arounds".

I know you can buy the toolkit2, but i don't have $2000 and if i did i would rather spend it on coke and hookers. Is there a cheeper upgrade for just the track count? Please don't make me switch to logic because of this.. after everything..

Bordering a Broken Man.
Old 31st August 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Theres people on the DUC selling their Toolkits for $500-700.
Old 31st August 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
Vienna Ensemble Pro might be a answer for around $300. It will also allow use of more ram in the machine if you have it.
L.
Old 31st August 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
lynngraber's Avatar
you could "save copy in" and resample down to 44.1k. this would double your track count and processing power.
Old 31st August 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
KFMG's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
Vienna Ensemble Pro might be a answer for around $300. It will also allow use of more ram in the machine if you have it.
L.
Interesting... Would that be for plugins, VI's, or both? Could you explain how its used? Are there other uses beyond VI hosting?
Old 31st August 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
kooz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemccarthy View Post
not looking to start a fight with this.. yet...Just a question

I record at 88.2 on PT 9. Is there any way to increase the track count? Not the "work arounds".

I know you can buy the toolkit2, but i don't have $2000 and if i did i would rather spend it on coke and hookers. Is there a cheeper upgrade for just the track count? Please don't make me switch to logic because of this.. after everything..

Bordering a Broken Man.
For much less than $2k you can get an HD2 PCI rig...back to the future. Hell if you can find a PCI core and don't need PT9, I have 2 Process cards I can sell ya (with xfer paperwork) for less than a grand and then you could be HD3. PM me if interested.
Old 31st August 2011
  #7
Gear Addict
 
MikeRL's Avatar
 

Not sure exactly what your working on..

A great way to get more tracks is to kick it old school: mix your 14 backing vocal tracks to a stereo track for example... continue to work. Later on if you need to remix those backup vocal tracks, just deactivate some other tracks your using, activate the original BU-Vox tracks, remix them to stereo, reactivate your needed tracks... and so on..
Old 31st August 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Steve G's Avatar
Call the song done and hang out with the hookers and do blow.

Steve
Old 31st August 2011
  #9
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRL View Post
Not sure exactly what your working on..

A great way to get more tracks is to kick it old school: mix your 14 backing vocal tracks to a stereo track for example... continue to work. Later on if you need to remix those backup vocal tracks, just deactivate some other tracks your using, activate the original BU-Vox tracks, remix them to stereo, reactivate your needed tracks... and so on..

yes

when we used to kick it old school, we didn't have 'deactivate' and 'reactivate' and those individual tracks got erased. Today there is no reason to fear doing this because if you screw up, the original stuff is still there.

Committing to these submixes is actually good mix practice, IMO. Once you learn what you WILL need, you can save a lot of time and hassle not dicking around with every element of a stack as if it was individually "important". You can take care of individual anomalies and also apply global processing to the stem at the time of this bounce. In this view, reactivating is mainly just your 'safety net' - not part of some PITA 'workaround'.

Your mix can have 100 tracks, but it shouldn't sound like it has 100 tracks if that makes any sense.
Old 31st August 2011
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRL View Post
Not sure exactly what your working on..

A great way to get more tracks is to kick it old school: mix your 14 backing vocal tracks to a stereo track for example... continue to work. Later on if you need to remix those backup vocal tracks, just deactivate some other tracks your using, activate the original BU-Vox tracks, remix them to stereo, reactivate your needed tracks... and so on..
I do this even when I'm not running out of tracks...much easier to mix that way!
Old 1st September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
sventvkg's Avatar
 

How many tracks do you get when you run at higher sample rates?
Old 1st September 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
Interesting... Would that be for plugins, VI's, or both? Could you explain how its used? Are there other uses beyond VI hosting?
Vi Pro lets you open as many instances as you have ram to support them. I load Superior drummer into VI, then add several input tracks and split out my individual drums..then I run those into a stereo aux in PT.
I can put my vst and some au effects on the tracks inside VI Pro. Open another instance for another VI or put a couple of VI's in one instance and split the tracks out, etc. PT is working with the first 4 gigs of ram, VI is using what you have above that to give you more tracks while taking the load off of PT. A little weird to set it up, but once you have it, it works well and makes things a little neater and easier to work with. PT 9 seems to run much smoother for me with this setup.
L.
Old 1st September 2011
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRL View Post
Not sure exactly what your working on..

A great way to get more tracks is to kick it old school: mix your 14 backing vocal tracks to a stereo track for example... continue to work. Later on if you need to remix those backup vocal tracks, just deactivate some other tracks your using, activate the original BU-Vox tracks, remix them to stereo, reactivate your needed tracks... and so on..
fair point.. I'll have to start working this way. Thanks.

Its a question on behalf of a band i'm in. Love recording, not to fond of mixing because though cause i'm not too good at it. So thats why i'm afraid of committing, so to speak, as i want to leave as many options available for whoever mixes it. The other reason for a lot of tracks is since we're doing it ourselves we have enough time on our hands to try everything out. Including over doubs there are 24 drum tracks (Which is crazy i know, but telling the drummer we have to cut down, sounds like a compromise rather than a commitment after we spend 2 years on minimum wage working and saving for the gear with a view on no compromises!)

someone asked there: Symphony i/o system w PCI 64 card is the setup.

Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated!
Old 1st September 2011
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemccarthy View Post
fair point.. I'll have to start working this way. Thanks.

Its a question on behalf of a band i'm in. Love recording, not to fond of mixing because though cause i'm not too good at it. So thats why i'm afraid of committing, so to speak, as i want to leave as many options available for whoever mixes it. The other reason for a lot of tracks is since we're doing it ourselves we have enough time on our hands to try everything out. Including over doubs there are 24 drum tracks (Which is crazy i know, but telling the drummer we have to cut down, sounds like a compromise rather than a commitment after we spend 2 years on minimum wage working and saving for the gear with a view on no compromises!)

someone asked there: Symphony i/o system w PCI 64 card is the setup.

Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated!
If you print the BVs as a working balance, you can leave the individual tracks deactivated.

Effectively, that's what people did when working with multiple tape machines. Bounce drums to a stereo pair, track over that. Come mix time, sync up the 2 tape machines and mix the original drum parts.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump