The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are this a md 421 clon??? Condenser Microphones
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

Is this a Sennheiser md 421 clon???

Hi gear sluts people!!!
I found this mic which looks kind of a Sennheiser MD 421, i havn´t tested jet, but the guy who sold it to me told me that this was a Japanese Md 421 clon from the 70´s.
Its a ( TTC B1092, made in japan ). Does any one knows some thing about this mic?? Thanks in advance....
Attached Thumbnails
Are this a md 421 clon???-la-foto.jpg   Are this a md 421 clon???-la-foto-2-.jpg   Are this a md 421 clon???-la-foto-3-.jpg  

Last edited by atomicohm; 3rd September 2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: there was an error
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicohm View Post
Hi gear sluts people!!!
I found this mic which looks kind of a Sennheiser MD 421, i havn´t tested jet, but the guy who sold it to me told me that this was a Md 421 clon from the 70´s.
Its a ( TTC B1092 ). Does any one knows some thing about this mic?? Thanks in advance....
It's certainly NOT an MD 421 clone - no way.

Sennheiser did make some cheaper mics that looked a little like an MD 421, but this is not one of those.

I have no idea what it is.

I guess he told you it was an "MD421 clone" to get more money from you than it was worth.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
It's certainly NOT an MD 421 clone - no way.

Sennheiser did make some cheaper mics that looked a little like an MD 421, but this is not one of those.

I have no idea what it is.

I guess he told you it was an "MD421 clone" to get more money from you than it was worth.
Hi Jhon, well, i know is not a Sennheiser, i´m almost sure that is a Japanese mic. I´m going to connect it soon and see what happen.
Cost me $120 Mexican pesos, less than $10 usd.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Well, i already test it, obviously the sound is diferent than a MD421, but does not sound too bad. The test was side by side with a MD421 II, and the sound of senhheiser was very good in the low end, but the mid range in the Japanese is more clear and the electric guitar sounds surprisingly good. If you find any of these, do not hesitate to buy it.
Old 11th May 2012
Here for the gear

Hi, atomicohm

I´m Jose, from Mexico City too.
I just bought that exact same mic, close to mint condition, in its original box; now, when I tested mine, couldn´t get it to work. Is there a specific way to plug the provided cable? Is it too much to ask for internal pictures so I can check the wiring?

Thanx!
Old 11th May 2012
Here for the gear

Well, I found out what it was!! After visually inspecting the mic and the cable, it didn't show any signs of stress or damage and I was hesitant to remove the, what seem like the original masking tape in the 1/4 plug, but I took the plunge and removed it, it didn't had any stick left in it, did not put up much of a fight... Anyway, after removing the masking tape the connection looked good, but when I touched it, the center strand moved, and it didn't had any give so, I got a piece of strand from a piece of leftover wire and made a solid solder connection. IT WORKS!!! I'm happy and ready to do some testing!!!

Cheers!!!!
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
But it's a clone "from the 70's"! So even though it's admittedly fake, it's vintage fake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseito
I just bought that exact same mic, close to mint condition
what a coincidence - another 35 year old mic - and it's so well preserved!

Quote:
what seem like the original masking tape in the 1/4 plug,
Okay, now you're just screwing with us
Old 11th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
what a coincidence - another 35 year old mic - and it's so well preserved!
Hey, I know I sounded naive, but I´m not a cork sniffer when it comes to gear, be it mics, amps, guitars, pedals... I was just noting the coincidence, and the fact that the mic form the OP is pretty beaten and mine, bought at a flea market, came in its original box, with the technical sheet included. I know it´s just a piece of 70´s style "vintage" crap, basically. Surprisingly, as I tried it recording guitars, it complements the sound of my M-Audio Nova.

Quote:
Okay, now you're just screwing with us
The thing about the "original masking tape" was because I was on the fence about trying to fix it or returning it (I asked, they said I could), again, more of a tweaker and modder than cork sniffer so, I fixed it...

Cheers
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseito View Post

The thing about the "original masking tape" was because I was on the fence about trying to fix it or returning it (I asked, they said I could), again, more of a tweaker and modder than cork sniffer so, I fixed it...

Cheers
what I was getting at was that even a fake copy of a 421 ought to have an XLR end on it!
Old 13th May 2012
Here for the gear

pictures of the TTC B1092

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
what I was getting at was that even a fake copy of a 421 ought to have an XLR end on it!
Oh, I thought that what this wasn't was established from the first response and you were taking the piss...

Anyway, I took some pictures of the mic and its packaging, hope this helps atomicohm and any other interested party. They're a little big, so the info can be read.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search