The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 units power supply 500 Series Chassis
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

500 units power supply

I'm a bit late to this, but can someone tell me how lunchbox units are powered?
Do you need to have a lunchbox? Same goes for all? Neve etc and not just API?
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

Yeah I was kind of wondering if there's a way to get around that. Some of the units are pretty cool, but I don't want to spend 10 trillion dollars on the power supply system just to be able to use it..
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Exactly, it's f*****g stupid that you need to pay half the price of the actual unit just for powering it.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

Buy a rack from A-Designs. Space for 2 units and $299

A Designs 500 HR Rack | Sweetwater.com
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBackwardsman View Post
Exactly, it's f*****g stupid that you need to pay half the price of the actual unit just for powering it.
Then buy a wall wart and some connectors and record something...
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

I'm sorry, I am not quite sure what you guys are asking. No, you don't need a Lunchbox, it is a choice. Have you researched the Lunchbox at all? Do you currently own any rackmount pres? Have you noticed the price difference between the 500 & rack modules offered by the same vendor?

Once you get the lunchbox you are able to power 6 or 10 modules, depending on which model. The variation of 500 offerings is stunning. Please go to this site.

LunchBoxHero | Home
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

No I don't own a lunchbox unit, that's why I'm asking.
Can't really go out and buy something for 1000$ without knowing if I'll be able to power it or not just to figure that out.

So if you don't need lunchbox, how to power the units?
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBackwardsman View Post
No I don't own a lunchbox unit, that's why I'm asking.
Can't really go out and buy something for 1000$ without knowing if I'll be able to power it or not just to figure that out.

So if you don't need lunchbox, how to power the units?
What units? The 500 modules? Sorry, I misunderstood your question. If you get the modules you need a lunchbox or similar like Tuberizer suggested.

Did you go to that website? Check the value of having several of the modules and then calculte what it would cost to own the stand alone version of the same pre. Then compare the options that the 500 module offers that differ from a full channel strip etc. I think it is a bargain when you consider you only pay once for the power supply and can have such a choice of tools to use with it.

You can try different ones, trade them with your friends etc, but be careful because it can be addicting.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Get a +/- 16volts //48 volts PSU from ebay. Solder a few wires to your lunchbox module. Done. Can be had for less than 50 bucks. I don't understand your problem.

Your signal is nothing else but modulated voltage from the PSU. You can have a cheap one or a solidly engineered and built one. You decide. You think a lunchbox is expensive? Fine.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Get a +/- 16volts //48 volts PSU from ebay. Solder a few wires to your lunchbox module. Done. Can be had for less than 50 bucks. I don't understand your problem.

Your signal is nothing else but modulated voltage from the PSU. You can have a cheap one or a solidly engineered and built one. You decide. You think a lunchbox is expensive? Fine.
An interesting alternative. I would love to do this but lack the skills. Great way to make some extra money though.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

It's a no-brainer. I bought a lunchbox. But as I'm ridiculously rich anyway, don't listen to me*. Or even better - buy a 51x-alliance lunchbox.

GroupdDIY 511 Racks: TAKING ORDERS

*my wife's an millionaire ex-model. Pro audio? I must be bored. Anyway, it's very likely I'm totally crazy and don't know what I'm talking about. Why not just duct-tape a few flashlight batteries together and have a PSU that way?
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Too bad, I'm rediculously poor and technically ******** when it comes to electronics.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

The rack mount lunchbox format is space efficient and cleaner. For example, my friend wanted a set-up to mic his entire studio kit. He brought an 11-space lunchbox (BAE) and filled it with 11 312a pres. One power cord for the lunchbox is the only power connection he needed. If he had went with individual units, he would have needed to buy five of the dual pre units and a single. That's six power cords, more spaces used on the rack, and given the amount of pres he brought, more money by around $800, even though the BAE lunchbox is, I believe, the most expensive one on the market. (IMO, BAE build quality makes it worth it, but others do the job quite well too). Whatever floats your boat.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

I get how great it is if you use several units.
But for me, that just want to get a single pre it's not an alternative.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

If you don't even need the Empirical Labs or A-Designs or Atlas Pro Revolver two-space lunchboxes...

Chameleon Labs CPS-501 Powered Chassis
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
*my wife's an millionaire ex-model.
Please replace your avatar with a picture of her.

Share the wealth, man!
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Walker View Post
even though the BAE lunchbox is, I believe, the most expensive one on the market.
I'm guessing that you are generically using "lunchbox" to refer to any 500 series unit that will house and power modules? The Radial Workhorse goes for ~1400USD retail if I remember correctly, but it has a summing mixer included. (although you can get it without the mixer also).
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Yup, I'm just a swedish fool and don't know the terminology
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
Please replace your avatar with a picture of her.

Share the wealth, man!
If I put up the URL of the underwear company where you can see her in the archived advertisements that would seriously detract you. I mean, we're both working, aren't we? Hard. Fierce deadlines. Wait. Now that I'm thinking of it..we're on Gearslutz ...
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
I'm guessing that you are generically using "lunchbox" to refer to any 500 series unit that will house and power modules? The Radial Workhorse goes for ~1400USD retail if I remember correctly, but it has a summing mixer included. (although you can get it without the mixer also).
Didn't count that one, as you noted it is more than just a box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search