The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
speaker disposal
Old 19th August 2011
Here for the gear

speaker disposal

So my radio station has a broken speaker (casing and inputs cracked), I'm fairly certain that there's nothing much we can do to fix them without incurring costs equal to a new speaker. How does one go about properly disposing of electronic components? Will kijiji/craigslist nutters pick up anything with the possibility of a deal?
Old 19th August 2011
One of my fav ways to dispose of speakers is to connect them to my 120 watt Basson Sound head, turn it all the way up with a strat and then light the speaker on fire.

It really sounds awesome! It's also a good show at parties.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

LOL, what do you do with it afterwards tho?

I find hooking a woofer up to mains power (vs an amp with program material) is fun at parties (sometimes you can send the cone right accross the room).

Seriosuly though, if you live in any major urban center, just curb it. Some junk collector will come by and grab it (I put stuff out all the time and it's usually gone before I can post a curb alert on a local messageboard I frequent).

Otherwise consult your local waste management department - ours here takes used electronics as part of our regular trash/recycling/organics pickup. For larger items (TVs and fridges) you just have to call ahead and let em know. In some areas you may need to take them to a special depot (we still have to do that for chemicals like unused paint and also batteries).
Old 19th August 2011
After speaker sacrafice:

Always properly dispose of electronic waste. Call your local refuse dept. for drop off locations. Don't throw it into a landfill. Be responsible after you play.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
speaker disposal

The solder connections between the tinsel leads and the voice coil is lead bearing solder. So, effectively a speaker is hazardous waste.

One of the more bizarre RoHS exemptions is number 29 in annex C which allows lead bearing solder in high power loudspeakers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search