The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundcraft GB2R vs.Mackie 1604VLZ. No, I'm not kidding.
Old 19th August 2011
Here for the gear

Soundcraft GB2R vs.Mackie 1604VLZ. No, I'm not kidding.

Howdy! I finally joined after trolling for years. Thanks for all the help and inspiration. I've been recording and mixing since the late '90s but some of you are far more experienced and are generous with your knowledge.

Here's the deal: I own a Mackie 1604VLZ and used to rely on it for use w/ ADAT XTs. Over the years I learned to insert EQ from Focusrite, Ashley, etc. rather than use the on board EQ. I rarely used the Mackie preamps and recorded directly w/ API, Focusrite, SSL, or whatever I could get my hands on. I even installed patchbays and quintupled the routing and flexibility of this Swiss Army Knife style mixer. Though it's flawed, I still like the board, however, I just did a live sound gig w/ a Soundcraft GB2R and was impressed w/ sound quality (thru PA speakers, not studio monitors) but missed little things. For instance, the Mackie not only let's me send fx to stage monitors but also adjust the proportion. Plus the 4 sub busses come in handy for additional monitor mixes.

I record and mix w/ NUENDO now and have a Saffire 56 (soon, I'll have two) but I'd like to have a proper small mixer for FOH, monitors and occassional location recordings. I would also like to integrate it w/ NUENDO in a home studio if needed (probably will never happen but who knows)

What I'm asking for, is opinions from people that have experience w/ both mixers and can offer some insight. Should I dump my Mackie and scoop up a used GB2R or am I wasting money that I could use for a Helios Type 69 for my lunchbox?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search