The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stereo Spread on master channel: yes or no?
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
Stereo Spread on master channel: yes or no?

I've been using Ozone 4's Stereo spread thingy for a while before going into FG-X and now I find myself replacing it with an SPL Vitalizer...But, adding the stereo spread is one of those things that can get away from you and really screw up a fantastic mix. Is anyone using it on a regular basis? Any steadfast rules I should know about?
Old 19th August 2011
I do.
That is to say that I usually boost the sides a hair using a mid/side plugin. Not always, but I find it often helps my mix sound a touch wider and helps things just sit nicely. Never more than a db or 2.

Voxengo has a free plugin called msed (from memory).
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

We use it with the DEQ 2496 across the 2 buss --- great stereo spread parameter,,,,,
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Maniac

As I mentioned it in another thread (so I just cite this in here referring to the use of the Waves S1 and other stereo wideners):

"I`ve read on several forums that if used for the final stereo track or mastering it should always be put into the Send/Aux bus(!) and used as an "effect" rather than to put it directly into the master track insert!

You never should put it directly onto your master track because there it will alter or destroy your mix!

What the plugin does is to invert the phase of the treated track thus it should be used as an "adding effect" to widen your final stereo mix with the original stereo track being kept.Both then played at same time should give you the desired "Wide Mix".
Of course in the appropriate amount you want to widen it.

I`ve heard that if used the other way it will also cause difficulties when played on mono devices then."
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

if needed ill pull the middle back a touch with waves centre.. but as mentioned you need to be careful to retain mono compatibility. to be honest i prefer not to have to use it at all.

i always use a phase scope to keep an eye on things just incase.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Back in the days when I had an MSI StereoMaxx I would on ocassion strap it across the master 2-mix bus. And it worked just fine (the thing was originally designed as a broadcast device, so it's optimized for processing full mixes without too many negative artifacts).

But what I quickly learned was that super-wide stereo is more effective when you can contrast it with normal-wide stereo (and narrow stereo, and mono...). So ultimately I found the StereoMaxx much more effective when selectively applied to certain tracks -- keyboard pads, reverb returns, ambient ear candy, etc. -- rather than applied to the entire mix.
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Addict

I've used a Stereo Enhancer plugin as an INSERT on the Master and as well as an INSERT on my tracks (OH's, Gtr's, BGV).

To touch on a point addressed above to use it as a SEND/AUX and NOT as an INSERT...when I have done that in the past, I find the results are not noticeable and do not give the added effect that I was trying to achieve.

Maybe someone can add more information.
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguitar View Post
I've used a Stereo Enhancer plugin as an INSERT on the Master and as well as an INSERT on my tracks (OH's, Gtr's, BGV).

To touch on a point addressed above to use it as a SEND/AUX and NOT as an INSERT...when I have done that in the past, I find the results are not noticeable and do not give the added effect that I was trying to achieve.

Maybe someone can add more information.
Well I must say that the quality of the wideners might vary with the Waves S1 to me being the most effective one of all.I once tried the QuickQuack(funny name I know, but don`t underestimate it) stereo tool which is for free and I also got very satisfying results when put into the AUX SEND.

They are all surely not constructed to put them directly into the Master insert (remember the phase thing I mentioned) because they there ruin your mix and stretch it in an odd way.
Old 19th August 2011
Forum Idiot

NO i wont tell u again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search