The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the AKG C214 better than my ADK or Rode?
Old 19th August 2011
Here for the gear
Is the AKG C214 better than my ADK or Rode?

Trying to figure out if I can get a better sound outta a different mic. Maybe it doesn't make *that* much difference, until you get up into the U87 range, which I cannot buy....and that's why I'm asking.....I've got the ADK Vienna and a Rode NT2. If I tweak the eq like crazy, I can get it to sound ok, but think that I might be missing something which another better mic can provide.
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Nut

The C214 is based on the C414 capsule, so the sound in my experience with that and the NT2 I would be more swayed to the C214,

There is a difference between alot of microphones, and it depends on the source and the engineer as to what you can do with them, ive met some engineers who have made an NT1 sound great, but compared to say a 414, or an SM7 you can CLEARLY tell the difference.

Might i ask what your using it for?
Old 19th August 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scradge View Post
Might i ask what your using it for?
Vocals (mine and female backing tracks), and my Koa Taylor GS and Gibson hummingbird, guitars.....occasionally, another instrument, like violin or soprano sax.

Yeah...it's hard for me to tell whether I'm missing out since I've never had expensive mics. I actually recorded some guitar at a studio where he used a couple U87's, but I couldn't really tell since it wasn't in my studio and, I didn't have time to mess around with the tracks....I'll be going in there to get some files and bring 'em home to try.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search