The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Q about importing gear and customs
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Q about importing gear and customs

hi all,

I plan on buying something off a friend who lives in the US.
I live in Germany and this is going to b a private pruchase.
usuall when I purchased goods from a store in the US, there's some kind of invoice or receipt or something.
this time, there can't be such a thing because it's a private purchase. that means I have no proof for our local customs station about the price I paid my friend and I'm afraid they will charge me the price of that item as "new" like if I bought it in a store.
however, the item is not ne but used. do you have any idea what I would have to do? would a copy of the bank transaction be enough or can my friend write a receipt himself?

thanks for your help.
Old 18th August 2011
I'd ask the friendly fellows from German Customs directly. They'll tell you what to do, or at least you'll know what they think.. and then do what you think.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

You friend can just bodge up an invoice, it's not like they'd call him up to verify it.
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Guru

I would have thought that a written receipt from your friend would be OK.

He just describes the unit as second hand and thanks you for the money you paid has been received OK.

You can back this up with a copy of the transfer.
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czybulski View Post
I'd ask the friendly fellows from German Customs directly. They'll tell you what to do, or at least you'll know what they think.. and then do what you think.
I tried to reach them several times yesterday without success so I was fed up with them haha.

thanks Kaoz and John Willett, I will do it like that.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

In Europe a person can write a private sales receipt, I'm guessing that in the US it's the same?

A description of the item with the amount paid and the seller and buyer information should do it.
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks, I'm pretty confident now that it'll work.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear
I've been in these catch 22 situations a few times, and computers will save you. Have your friend print up an official looking invoice from a fictional used gear company with sig, date and price. Done! You're not lying to anyone, as long as you declare the true price, pay your tax bill and enjoy!
Old 18th August 2011
Jai guru deva om

Have him print the customs forms on the www.usps.com postal site. He can add items, their value, brief description, and whether it is a gift or sale etc. If he goes ahead and makes the shipping label online, he will also get about 5% off on the pricing vs going to the post office. If the item is worth over $500 I suspect he will have to bring it to the post office and fill it all out manually, and pay a bit more.

He could make an "invoice" in a word document and print it out if needed. Not a bad idea to have it inside the box, if customs rejects it for this reason it could be a package returned to the USA...or best case scenario they demand something be faxed or mailed to them.

Cover your bases, don't let things go wrong by overlooking these things.

War
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks guys, much appreciated. better be on the safe side you're right.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_claypoo View Post
hi all,

I plan on buying something off a friend who lives in the US.
I live in Germany and this is going to b a private pruchase.
usuall when I purchased goods from a store in the US, there's some kind of invoice or receipt or something.
this time, there can't be such a thing because it's a private purchase. that means I have no proof for our local customs station about the price I paid my friend and I'm afraid they will charge me the price of that item as "new" like if I bought it in a store.
however, the item is not ne but used. do you have any idea what I would have to do? would a copy of the bank transaction be enough or can my friend write a receipt himself?

thanks for your help.
he has to fill out a form to ship it from usa.
form should state the value.
have him include the invoice and other proof inside.
have him insure it for that same value too.

you will have to pay some duty but only on the actual cost.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search