The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tracking headphones poll
View Poll Results: Which tracking headphones?
Sony MDR7506
19 Votes - 35.85%
Audio Technica ATH-M50
16 Votes - 30.19%
Sennheiser HD280
18 Votes - 33.96%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th August 2011

Tracking headphones poll

Hi, i'm getting a new headphones for studio tracking, and trying to decide between these three sets. It looks like these sets are quite popular and liked. These are all closed back headphones, as i understand it's better for tracking because it has less leakage to the mic.

I'm going to be using those mainly for acoustic music.

You can also suggest other sets if you like.

Thank you!
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Addict

I'd grab the Sennheiser's over the Sony's for sure. I haven't personally tried the Audio Technica's though. The HD280's are my pick for tracking.
Old 17th August 2011
Love the ATH-M50's!
Old 17th August 2011
I would look at these beyerdynamic dt770s beside they sound great there built like tanks and will last a very long time. I have learned to avoid headphones with the plastic adjustment bands. just my 2cents that might save you some.
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Nut

Try Looking at the equivilent shures, we have the ATs at Work Great phones but the Shures pip it for me.
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Nut

+1 for the beyerdynamics, love them
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for ATH-M50s...

though IME the absolute best are musicians with proper, custom moulded in ear monitors. They pretty much eliminate any chance of bleed from headphones and the musicians can often hear the guide tracks much better. Great for drummers and click track bleeds.
They aren't cheap though, and you find that only the more serious musicians have these.

Oh and BTW, ALWAYS lower a guide track for custom in-ears by about -12db to what you would normally send them and adjust it from there. I was nearly deafened once by some prick of an engineer who just swapped jack inputs between takes without adjusting the difference!
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Out of those 3, I've used the Sony's and the Sennheisers. I'd go the HD280's in a flash. I'm about to buy a second pair that I can leave at work, as I often do location recordings for events etc, and those bad boys are like a pair of ear muffs with drivers in them. I find tonally they are a little mid focused compared to other things like the Sony's you mentioned, but the isolation you get is way worth it!

I say give them a go!
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

+2 for HD280's
Old 18th August 2011
Here for the gear

For my ears and dollars the Sennheisers Win hands down. The economies of scale achieved through their consumer market penetration have brought professional personal monitoring to the masses. In other words, best bang for your buck.

It's ALL about the performance!
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Beyerdynamics DT770's. I have eight pair.

I definitely hate the Sony MDR7506's. I own two pair and really dislike coil cords on headphones. Also, too much bleed from these.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
I would look at these beyerdynamic dt770s beside they sound great there built like tanks and will last a very long time. I have learned to avoid headphones with the plastic adjustment bands. just my 2cents that might save you some.
+1 for the 770's.

I have the 7506's - highs too shrill for me. Only use them in the vocal booth for artists.

I have the AT's - sound nice. worth the price. I have to watch the mids (can be a little muddy). Sometimes hard to judge the low end.

I have the 770's - best of the 3 for me. Very comfortable. Sound great during tracking and mixing. I can get a good idea of what the lows are doing. They cover the entire ear. No complaints. These cans rock!!
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Nut

I think the 280s are way too hyped for tracking, but I have a pair and have used them as such. Mids and upper mids seem way too forward. But yes they do provide good isolation. I'd also look at the Denons, I've heard good things and they should be a bit more neutral.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

I voted for the ATH m50's. That's what I got, and I love them for tracking. They have a nice stereo image, and aren't fatiguing. They do sound kind of soft for lack of a better word. I also use them for checking the low end on my mixes.

Used to have ATH m30's. m50's are leaps and bounds better.
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Addict

I can hear tuning perfect with the Sony's
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Head

DT 770 Pro

+1 for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros (80 ohm). Tremendously comfortable, with great deep bass, slightly laid back midrange and an open soundstage. They're not the most efficient cans out there, but the combination of isolation, bass response, ruggedness and comfort make them winners.
Old 18th August 2011

Thanks guys, keep voting and commenting, its very helpful.

I'm reading some good stuff about the KRK KNS 8400, any opinions on these for tracking?
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Guru

For tracking work the Sennheiser HD 215 are good cans (and cheaper).

But if you are looking at the HD 280s, I would also look at the HD 380 Pro which are about the same price and a newer design.
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by midoban View Post
Thanks guys, keep voting and commenting, its very helpful.

I'm reading some good stuff about the KRK KNS 8400, any opinions on these for tracking?
I have these and they are good cans.

But - they do make my ears warm (one of the properties of memory foam I think - a bed shop warned me about this as memory foam does not breathe and makes you sweat) and they are not so detailed as I would like.

Someone posted a track with a problem and I could not hear the problem at all with the 8400s, but could clearly hear it with other headphones.
Old 18th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I have these and they are good cans.

But - they do make my ears warm (one of the properties of memory foam I think - a bed shop warned me about this as memory foam does not breathe and makes you sweat) and they are not so detailed as I would like.

Someone posted a track with a problem and I could not hear the problem at all with the 8400s, but could clearly hear it with other headphones.
May i ask how would you compare the KRK KNS8400 to the Sony MDR7506 (if you used it)? i like the slim and compact design of those sets..
Old 18th August 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

ATH-M30 for tracking. Minimum bleed and cheap.
Old 18th August 2011
Here for the gear
Hello friends!!!

I'm house music producer.
This is a recommended headphone for tracking and mixing of this type of music?

Beyerdynamic DT770PRO

Thanks
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball_kid View Post
I think the 280s are way too hyped for tracking, but I have a pair and have used them as such. Mids and upper mids seem way too forward. But yes they do provide good isolation.
This is precisely why they make good headphones for musicians out on the tracking floor...especially considering how most of them are likely somewhat hearing-damaged from careers on stage. For more advanced cases, the 7506s work quite well. We have both.
Old 18th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
This is precisely why they make good headphones for musicians out on the tracking floor...especially considering how most of them are likely somewhat hearing-damaged from careers on stage. For more advanced cases, the 7506s work quite well. We have both.
So you say that specifically tracking headphones are supposed to be more hyped? why is that?
So when people say that the 7506s are too hyped for them, they just don't understand that it should be like that for tracking?
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using 7506s for years out of habit. They're fine. The HF boost serves to provide "detail" and "excitement" to musicians and aids in getting good performances.

I have been getting annoyed with their leakage, though, especially with click tracks. So I'm considering getting a couple of Ultraphones for the drummer and vox positions.

I guess I kinda see the 7506s as the NS10s of headphones. A bright, revealing "standard" that delivers one particular thing like nothing else.
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
Yeah, I use DT 770 M's for tracking. The sound is pretty good for a closed phone, they have lots of isolation both in and out and they are sturdy. Beyer seems to prefer steel frames and leather pads to plastic stuff that breaks sooner. OTOH, that makes them more expensive.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 18th August 2011
I hate to be religious about anything but I am when it comes to the 770s.I have two pairs and if i buy a third pair of cans it will be another pair of 770s.There is a good reason you see this in a lot of big studios. focused bass,great clarity amazing high end, valor ear cushions, metal adjusters, leather head strap, and made in germany.heh
Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

I have both the MDR-7506 and ATH-M50.
They are completely different sounding but for tracking a lot of people prefer the Sony's....maybe because they are so bright and not that bass heavy. Some people like to hear themselves clearly with some reverb and these do that no problem, unless your the bass player! The bass is there if you listen for it, but it's not bass heavy for sure! They are not as heavy on the head as the ATH-M50's, and the Sony's can get fatiguing with there brightness which the ATH-M50's do not suffer from at all. I think you could wear those all day and night!
For mixing the Sony's can be very accurate but you have to realize they are only good at details and not overall mixing. It can be done but you have to learn which frequencies are accurate and which are not...like the bass. It's there but you find you need to compensate with levels. Same with the high end you need to compensate for that not being too crispy in the final mix.
I do like the sound of the ATH-M50's a lot, they are not as bright and crispy like the Sony's and they have a fuller bass, but you can see why in the response curves because they are hyped from 200Hz on down (like the DT770's and HD280's).
I will use both for mixing, tracking or listening. It's nice to have different headphones to compare.
The HeadRoom is a great place to compare specifications.
You'll notice how flat the Sony's are to the rest mentioned in here.
They do roll off at the low end (flat out to 50Hz) and they jump around at the top end like the others do but in the middle not much hype....relatively flat for the most part as opposed to the rest which are hyped or low across the response. You can hear that in the Sony's. They sound like there response, pretty darn flat!

Doon's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Attached Images
File Type: png graphCompare.php.png (46.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by midoban View Post
May i ask how would you compare the KRK KNS8400 to the Sony MDR7506 (if you used it)? i like the slim and compact design of those sets..
Sorry, not used the Sony.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 18th August 2011
member no 666

Having used all of those at one time or another... I can say with some authority that you will experience less musician ear fatigue over longer sessions with AKG K-141's... they're not on your list so I can't vote for them... and won't vote for any of the other 3 [though if I were forced to it would be a vote for the Sennheisers as I've found them to be the best of the 3].

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search