The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking with different converters Audio Interfaces
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Nut

Tracking with different converters

Hi,
I use an Apogee Ensemble and I would like to invest in a high end 2 track AD (such as Burl, HEDD or Sparrow) for 2Buss and/or mastering duties.
Will I be able to use it in conjunction with the Ensemble to track a full drumkit (with the 2 "high end" AD taking the overheads or room mics) without phase problems ?
Cheers !
Old 19th August 2011
I think as the 2 channel converter would obviously have it's own latency, and the interface has no way of knowing what that is, the same tracks recorded through both converters would not be 100% time aligned.

My own plan is to go ahead and get an extra converter anyway because I don't think a little bit of latency will be too much of a problem since I would be recording different sources (as opposed to say splitting a signal for whatever reason and wanting them to be in perfect phase).

Akin to moving the mics a few cm, hopefully. And the usefulness of having a few high quality / extra channels will outweigh the problems.

I can never get my overheads perfectly in phase anyway ;-)

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

The latency would be different, but no different than moving the overhead mics a few inches or feet. Test the latency on both converters and go from there. Should not be a problem. Do not, however, use the Ensemble converters on one overhead mic and the HEDD (or whatever you buy) on the other overhead mic. This would be asking for phase problems.
Old 19th August 2011
As said before, each converter box has its own latency. You could probably get away with recording your pair of rooms with the separate converter since there is already a naturally perceived distance in time with the relationship to the drum kit.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search