The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
King Crimson - Discipline
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
This thread sent me looking for my rolodex from the late 90s, I was trying to find Fripps old guitar tech John Stark,
I think you mean John Sinks. Spent a lot of time working on the road with him. He is a great guy.

BTW, this is the live album I mixed from that tour
Live at Cap D'Agde, 1982 - King Crimson | AllMusic

Old 19th August 2011
Gear Guru

yeah well, UK is a small market in any case.
They also have a history of not liking Artists too much. or even intellectuals.
you know the famous phrase.
"too clever by half"

Crimson would fit both bills.

when I say vast, I mean in sheer scale.

Later Crimsons and Eno's sales in the UK would be laughably small, even by UK standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3waytie4last View Post
So, they prefer "I talk to the Wind" to "ProzaKc Blues" or "Happy with What You Have to Be Happy With"?

Fancy.

Old 19th August 2011
Gear Maniac

It is understood and assumed that Crimson does not have a large number of fans (as defined by percentage of population) anywhere in the world.

But Crimson fans of early stuff probably like the later stuff also.

I (mistakenly) thought your premise was that Crimson fans in the UK liked the old stuff but not the new stuff.

They aren't winning a pop-idol contest. Guitar players are probably the only "new" fans the band has ever added throughout their existence. They will never be "popular" sales-wise.
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Guru

Fripp gave up the music industry and went to study at Sherborne house which was founded by John G. Bennett and based on Gurdjieff's teachings.

Gurdjieff had the notion of the possibility of objective Art, which is one of the only places I've heard of the notion of Art being anything other than subjective. it's not easy to find anything out about that though, because I think those teachings were mainly internal to the system.

but when Fripp emerged from that system, he formed King Crimson II.

He also says that after that he didn't feel the need to express his personal preferences over and above that of any group project he was involved in. but one area that he did feel his personal capability was allowed to express itself was in the work with Bowie.

any notion of pop music for Fripp I suspsect, had long gone by then.

that's not a view as such on pop music. just that I think it's part of the crux of what King Crimson became subsequent to those events. or at least his position on his role in respect of it.

my connection with Oldfield is that, Oldfield was always like that from the off.
I sort of have the feeling that Fripp may have recognized that. Oldfields structures are very similar to Crimson II.

but by the same token, there seems to be a lot of connection between oldfield and steve reich, and Moondog.
which is sort of an interesting US round trip connection.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search