The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need some help with my recording project
Old 4th August 2011
Here for the gear

Need some help with my recording project

Hi there, I'd like first to apologize for my noobness, but after all we all started once.

I'll try to make it short : I'm playing the guitar since 15 years, jazz since 5, and never recorded myself until 2 weeks ago.

I just started a duo with my sister, playing rhythm guitar (archtop) and she's singing the tracks I send to her over internet.

That was for now just a test run and as we're pleased with it I'd like to invest in a decent recording solution. I'm obviously not a big fan of digital recordings, preferring the warmer sound of analog but due to the distance between us we have to work that way as we can't record together.

So far I'm entirely displeased with the sound I get from plugging my guitar straight to a DI box (a zoom pedal with usb interface) and recording it with audacity. I'm not an expert nor too picky but this just sounds poor, cold, lifeless.

So I did a bit of homework and figured I'd need a mic to record either my guitar acoustically, my amp, or maybe even better both, with 2 mics.

Amp sims and the like, while ok for rock stuff just doesn't cut it for jazz, tried to mess with it it's not "the" sound.

So far my shopping basket contains a Shure SM57 that I can use to record my guitar unplugged or my amp, an ART Tube MP to warm it up, and I still don't know if I should just try that first and plug it in the audio in of my sound card, or if I'd be better with an USB interface (I'll need one sooner or later if I want to record both the guitar and the amp).

Which makes me also think I'll need independant phantom power if I'm using the Shure SM57 for the amp, and a mic requiring 48v for the guitar itself? Only saw the Motu Audio Express having this feature in my budget, other interfaces have a global +48v switch.

Sorry if I'm asking too much at once, I'd just like to get a decent, warm recording of my archtop while not spending too much while I'm practicing on this stuff, but I'd also like to avoid spending 200 Euros in an audio interface that will bring various background noises, coldness or clips and **** to my record if I can have a good one for 350 if that makes sense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search