The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need help with vocal mic choice
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Nut

Need help with vocal mic choice

hello GS! long time listener, first time caller.

So I want to get a large condenser mic for vocal duties for my home studio, primarily for doing my own demos. I've generally been using an SM57. I tried a 58 and hated it; brought out a weird upper mid-range nasal quality. The 57 is serviceable, but just doesn't really give me the detail I want (which makes me frustrated, and frustration isn't good when trying to be creative). My voice has a Bowie quality in the tonality and his general vocal range, but I tend to be a bit more dynamic in singing style sometimes, a la Jeff Buckley.

I'd rather get something quality than go budget and end up unhappy with the sound. But anything more than $3k feels uncomfortable. I'd been looking at the Wunder CM7-GT; sounds great compared the other U47-inspired mics. Like that it's made in the USA. At the upper echelon of my budget though. But I'm not sure if a U47-type mic is right for my vocal quality? I know Bowie used the U67 a lot, and sounds great on his voice, and the qualities of that mic would make it seem like it's easier to sit in a mix than a 47. But a real U67 is out of my budget, and there seem to be no adequate "inspirations" that capture the magic. Yes, I listened to the Bees Neez Mahalia samples posted on GS threads, and I don't hear that U67 magic sheen and airiness in it. The Bees Neez mics in general appeal to me in terms of quality, price, and good buzz, but the selection and lack of samples of their other mics make their product line overwhelming.

I guess I know what the answer to this is going to be: "We can't tell you, go try them yourself and see what you like", but if I could at least get in the ballpark I could then narrow down the options. Thanks for any input you can provide!
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

"We can't tell you, go try them yourself and see what you like"

100%!!! no.. let me do the math again... errr.... 200%.

It's like asking your mom which girl you should date. Or asking your aunt what's your fav dish. YOU have to decide. Go where there's lots of mics, try. If your local shops don't have too many, research which studios have some, book some time, try. No other way around it. It's like buying shoes on the net. How do you know they'll fit?
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
It's like buying shoes on the net. How do you know they'll fit?
Because they're Converse. They always fit.
Maybe that means I should get a U87...
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Converse are little value for the money. If you like canvas shoes get "Palladium", they manufactured the canvas shoes for the french foreign legion as well. Durable, washable, the lot. Converse are the Behringer of shoes.. half a year later they fall apart.
https://www.palladiumboots.eu/about

Palladium Boots - Pampa

If you have to, get an U87, it's a workhorse that doesn't hurt owning. Does it fit your feet? Sure. Get two, the box they come in look stylish strolling down the beach.
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Get two, the box they come in look stylish strolling down the beach.
Very amusing.

Sorry for asking. Thanks anyway though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search