The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RME Raydat vs Pro Tools HD Native
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear
RME Raydat vs Pro Tools HD Native

Fellow slutz,

I’m in the same position that I’m sure a lot of you are. I have a Digi 002/003 with nice converters hanging off the ADAT/SPIDIF i/o from the days of my Pro Tools LE system. I would really like to move on from a FW based setup to a PCIe based one.

The 2 best options I can see at this point are RME’s Raydat card or a Pro Tools HD Native card. I know that the HD Native card will out perform the Raydat card simply because it speaks directly to DAE and doesn’t have to go through core audio. It also integrates with Pro Tools perfectly as it should.

With that said, it’s a lot more expensive than the Raydat card and would require that I buy another, or new ad/da converters that I don’t need. I’m very happy with my current conversion. I also already have Pro Tools 9 and a CPTK2 license so getting an HD license with the native card does not matter to me.

Can anyone share their experience with PT 9 and a Raydat card in terms of performance and stability?
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

When PT9 came up, I jumped on an IZ Radar with classic converters and ADAT i/o, built a computer and installed the Raydat. I have been very happy with the combo. Has been very stable (no crashes yet) and the latency is excellent. (It helps that my new PC is powerful enough to run at the lowest buffer setting, even during mixdown).

I also have an RME adi-8 (nuendo faceplate) that handles headphone sends and aux sends and the Raydat keeps the Radar and the adi-8 clocked together very well. (I have the Radar set to master and the adi-8 to external clock source).
Old 3rd August 2011
What Interfaces are you using? I would assume they've got a HD Digi-Link adaptor on them, as otherwise, it doesn't sound like there is any good reason for you to get the HD native PCI-e offering, if you already have invested into PT9+CPTK, and use ADAT/SPDIF only interfaces that you want to keep using. The RME card is then the better option, but if you plan to expand your PT I/O in the future, this would be reason in favor of the Native Card. The biggest advantage besides sample accurate, low latency DAE link, is 64 I/O streams, with PTHD and other Core Audio/ASIO applications.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Raydat with Radar here aswell - I dont look back - sound great!
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, I'm not concerned with expandable i/o count or having SUPER low latency for tracking as this is more of a mixing rig. If I ever need more than the 32 i/o offered by a Raydat and PT 9 I'll spring for an all Avid based system.

I'm really looking to see if anyone "feels" a difference with their Raydat card as opposed to a FW based set up. Most people using HD Native are saying that their system feels snappier and that they are running more tracks / rtas at lower buffer settings.

Also, what is the min / max playback buffer setting with the Raydat card?
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

hey, you're in brooklyn, i'm in brooklyn, stop by and check mine out if you'd like. I think my lowest buffer setting is 32. Can't remember because the first time I opened PT9 and the Raydat settings, I set it to the lowest setting and have never moved it. And that's tracking and mixing. Granted, I don't do a ton of plug-ins, but it "feels" much better and more responsive when I had a BLA 002r.
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

PT9 and Raydat card here on Mac. VERY solid. Had a few crashes initially, but figured out it was my Novation Nocturn. Uninstalled and have not had a crash for months.

For cues I use a Hearback system connected via ADAT. The Cuemix software from RME works great for routing and sub mixing in front of Pro Tools. Well under 1ms of latency. I leave my playback buffer at 256 whether I am tracking or mixing.

I came from a Digi 002. For the control surface, I went with a MC Mix. Don't mind it, but I feel the 002 control surface "feels" more solid.
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

min/max buffer on mac is 64/1024.

I should mention, I use a UAD2 loaded pretty hard when mixing. Still solid, and snappy.
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear
This is great info, thanks everyone. It sounds like the Raydat is being used with great success by a lot of people.

I'm doing a lot of post work at the moment, can anyone working with video chime in? Any issues running a bunch of tracks and video at the same time?
Old 4th August 2011
Vum
Lives for gear

PT9 +RayDat here as well. 1ms latency coming off the RayDat for headphone mixes is pretty incredible. Lovely architecture - clunky, but useful.
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
This is great info, thanks everyone. It sounds like the Raydat is being used with great success by a lot of people.

I'm doing a lot of post work at the moment, can anyone working with video chime in? Any issues running a bunch of tracks and video at the same time?
I do it quite usually and never had crashes.. It's very stable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search