The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
recording guitar: Combo vs tube?
Old 3rd August 2011
Here for the gear

recording guitar: Combo vs tube?

Hey guys I'm back. So I've been trying to record guitar through a mic and I was wondering, what is the difference, if any, in recording with a line 6 Spyder IV vs a head and cabinet? I will be using a Shure 57. Thanks!
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

What head and what cab???

I use 7 different cabs and 3 head - they all sound very different. But I definatelly dont use Line6-stuff - had a Pod some time ago - no good for recording imo compared to the real stuff.

Just learn to position the mic correctely, try recording at different volume levels, try recording amp and cabs from your friends and get experience - there is no substitute for that - in none of the forums!!!
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

recording a combo vs a separate cab will sound different but don't over think it too much. Just mic the speaker. If it sounds good it is good. If you want to skip the mic try some ITB guitar amp sims like AmpliTube
Old 3rd August 2011
There is no single, definiative "correct" electric guitar tone; just as there is no single, definative "correct" vocal tone, or "correct" genre or style of music.

There are millions of tools and combinations of those tools for making music.

Hating on a Pod (which one?) is as silly as hating on an SM57: both have been used on countless hit recordings. Are they the best tool for all jobs? Of course not. Are they cheap and versatile and capable of professional results ... in the hands of a professional, yes. In the hands of a monkey, probably not.

A Pod is basically a couple of hundred tools in a single box. You don't have to use them all, or any. But what you get for the money is incredible ... and you can do a lot worse.

Not knowing what style of music you want to make, I can't tell you what you might enjoy. But I could tell you that if you had a new Pod HD, for example, if you couldn't make a professional recording with that, you probably couldn't make one with a truckload of vintage analog gear either.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak2129 View Post
Hey guys I'm back. So I've been trying to record guitar through a mic and I was wondering, what is the difference, if any, in recording with a line 6 Spyder IV vs a head and cabinet? I will be using a Shure 57. Thanks!
Line 6 Spyder amps are digital modeling amps. They are CPUs running internal plugins. If they also come with cab sims, or you have access to 3rd party cab sims (eg Redwirez etc), then there is no benefit to micing those amps.

True tube amps come in "combo" format, as well as "head + cabinet" format. Lot of different flavors of tube amps, but true tube amps have:

1) Tube preamp
2) Tube poweramp
3) Tube rectifier

There is a benefit to micing a true tube amp. It is the current state of the art in live instrument music recording.
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post

True tube amps come in "combo" format, as well as "head + cabinet" format. Lot of different flavors of tube amps, but true tube amps have:

1) Tube preamp
2) Tube poweramp
3) Tube rectifier
Mostly true.. but diode rectifiers have been in place since the mid/late 60's in MANY amps. Marshall Plexi's and many other 100 watters all have diode rectifiers, but are most certainly in the category of "all-tube amp"
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRL View Post
Mostly true.. but diode rectifiers have been in place since the mid/late 60's in MANY amps. Marshall Plexi's and many other 100 watters all have diode rectifiers, but are most certainly in the category of "all-tube amp"
Good point. Thanks for that info.
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

You also don't need a tube amp for a good guitar sound - solid state amps by Kustom, Acoustic, and Sunn were used by some of the best guitarists ever, like Chuck Berry and John Fogerty.
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
You also don't need a tube amp for a good guitar sound - solid state amps by Kustom, Acoustic, and Sunn were used by some of the best guitarists ever, like Chuck Berry and John Fogerty.
True. Don't forget Andy Summer's use of the Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus as well.

Definitely don't need a tube amp for a good sound, but the OP specified either the Line 6 Spyder (modeling amp) or a tube amp, no mention of considering solid state amps or solid-state pre-amps (eg Sansamp etc).
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
When a guitarist brings a solid state amp, I tend to record it with a tube mic...
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Ha...I hate pods and 57s! Man, am I silly!
Old 4th August 2011
well, with a head you can have it separate from the speaker so you can use the cab in a different room.

there really is no sound difference in a combo vs head/cab of the same model of amp
Old 4th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Ha...I hate pods and 57s! Man, am I silly!
Not at all.

But what would be silly would be suggesting to somebody on a limited budget that they shouldn't bother recording until they can afford, for example, a U67, 1073, 1176 & Burl converter chain and the rooms to go with them ...

It's a matter of public record that some truely great guitars, drums and vocals have been tracked with an SM57. You can even use it on kick & bass at a pinch. At the very least you should own one - if for the only reason that you can later publish all over the net how much you hate it compared to your other luxury purchases ...

Pods are probably the most widely abused and misunderstood guitar tool. Most guitar gear is marketed at Neanderthals for whom more than two knobs is a enigma wrapped in a mystery ... many don't even get the concept that running a guitar preamp, cab sim into a real amp with it's own preamp and cab may not be the smartest move in their career ... The thing about a Pod is that it is a collection of powerful tools that can be used or abused to your hearts content.

People don't hate on Eventides - but for some reason it's trendy to bash Pods because they are affordable by the great unwashed.

Fair enough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search