The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
home studio upgrade: summing box or AD converter?
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

home studio upgrade: summing box or AD converter?

I'm thinking of upgrading my home studio. I have some good mics, pres, monitoring etc. - I'm really only thinking about summing or A/D conversion at this point. I don't have a summing box and my interface is the M-audio Firewire 1814.

Right now I'm thinking about the BLA Sparrow or maybe the Dangerous D-box...thoughts? I heard BLA used to mod 1814's but it seems they don't anymore :\
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Dbox and couldn't live without it. It sounds great, is well built, and the people at Dangerous are class acts. It's a no brainer.
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

D-box is just D/A and summing - no A/D right? So you think summing is a more important upgrade first?
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthepisces View Post
D-box is just D/A and summing - no A/D right? So you think summing is a more important upgrade first?
Right. D/A only. What are you using as A/D right now?
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

forget about summing

til you have your front end in place, meaning AD.
itb is fine til you've made that investment, and then you can really hear what youre really working with from your nice mics, pres, room...you may be pleasantly surprised how good ITB mixes can be if you have good stuff going in and know how to use the system as it was meant to be.
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

Right now my A/D is my firewire 1814! hence the need for an upgrade. From research I've done, summing seems to be more subtle of an improvement over good A/D...anyone disagree?
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Estock View Post
Right. D/A only. What are you using as A/D right now?
Didn't see the 1814. In that case, I don't think the Dbox would hurt, but I would be more apt to get a new interface/converters, especially if you're looking to spend $1500. I haven't heard the Sparrow, but the guys at BLA do great work so I'd imagine it would be dramatic upgrade. You may also consider a Rosetta 200.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search