The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Just bought a pair of DBX 163's.... Where do they shine??
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Addict

Just bought a pair of DBX 163's.... Where do they shine??

They haven't arrived yet, but I've just paid the paypal on a matched racked pair of DBX 163x's.
I'm starting to mix OTB and am interested in peoples experience of where these shine.... apart from Drums. I get that. Will certainly be trying on Drum buss, Kick and Snare.
My other comps are 2 Aphex 661's, 2 Aphex 106 (quad comps), DBX 166, DBX 166XL.
I was hoping they might serve well on Guitar buss's, acoustic and distorted.
Anyway, look forward to hearing your experiences.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

I have 2 of them and I use them on pretty much anything and everything vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar but mine are modded. Before I modded them they were kind of noisy but heard people talking ab out using them on bass. If your interested in doing the mod look it up in the tapeop forums it's a good project to learn on and well worth it.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

I have a pair of original vintage ones and love them for parallel crushing the drum bus/room mics.
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
I have a pair of original vintage ones and love them for parallel crushing the drum bus/room mics.
Very nice, I thought they might be nice for crushing
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Vocals, Bass, AC GTR, Drums. Hmmm, that's kinda everything, ain't it...
I rarely crush anything with them though, just a kiss of compression is
how they really "shine" IMO...

have fun!
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Yup. These little things are very versatile. Run ANY sterile sounding track through these (pushed lightly as mentioned above) and you'll see the strength of the 163. Synths, bass, gtrz, drum loops, Kicks, snare, anything really! They've got "mojo" in spades.

Besides the FMR stuff, these are my favorite low-cost comps of all time. If I owned my own La2a and a Slate Dragon comp, I'd rack the 163's right underneath them, lol heh. I have heard some folks complain about noise issues with theirs but mine are whisper quiet. Guess I just lucked out.

Enjoy!
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

I never pick up a guitar or bass without plugging into one of these. It's a nice-ifier. Gently, now, just a little (I modified mine to smooth the curve a bit too).

LP
Old 3rd August 2011
Here for the gear

I've got 6 of them. I particularly dig them on bass, But they can work well on just about anything. I once used one to crush a fairly whimpy piano sample and it worked wonders. They can be a little noisy, but on rock mixes, I use them all the time.
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Addict

I'm feeling better and better all the time hearing this
I'm happy too that they're sequential serials and are coming with the rack kit!
Going to be having some fun
If I enjoy them as much as I think I will, I'll likely splash out on a few more.... why the hell not huh :P
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Head

I have one stereo version and used it for bus compression more than anything. Sometimes on the whole mix hitting very lightly. It really does turn harsh digital in the box processing into butter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search