The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good Monitors Without Rear Port
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

Good Monitors Without Rear Port

I'm in the market for new monitors, right now i've been using M-audio's AV40s which seem to have no bass response to my ears...kicks have no umph, just click and maybe a thud... I because of me having to A/B with cheep AKG cans, it made me want to get the lowest bass response i could get out of monitors my monitors. i've been doing a lot of digging through threads and threads here, and i have come up to a few conclusions

A:Room treatment is extremely important... yet not really an option for me right now moving in between my unfinished basement and a dorm-room shared by some other unfortunate sole.
B: Yamaha's are loved or hated
C: New KRK's lie
D: dynaudio, and Focal's are just plain loved
E: Adams are pretty nice but dont have much of a low end

ok so here's the deal, my dorm set up could possibly have the monitors between .5 to 2 feet from a concrete wall... so it makes me think i should watch out for a rear port. this has drawn me to the looks of Four monitors that all seem to have thier pitfalls
A: HR824mkii (from what i can tell have no port at all) i've heard their bass response gets smeared and might not translate well
B: new Event 20/20bas haven't heard much about them
C: focal solo 6 (way out of my price rang)
D: Samson Rubicon 6A or possibly the replaced resolv A8 (seems too good to be true)

If anyone would like to chime in on any of this please do!
PS does anyone have anything at all to say about the Mackie MR8 mkII ???
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

no one??
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Head

port location doesn't matter unless it might get blocked up
Old 3rd August 2011
Rear port shouldn't be a problem.

The rear port on any monitor I've ever seen AFAIK is tuned just below the resonance point of the low frequency driver, in most cases lower then 50Hz. Sound waves aren't so directional down there so it doesn't make much of a difference if that port is on the front or rear of the loudspeaker...the sound had no problem wrapping around the speaker...except for port turbulence or chuffing which is a much bigger problem if the port is facing you, as you will hear the full bandwidh of the noise instead of the attenuated version that has to diffract/wrap around the speaker or bounce off the wall behind the speaker before getting to your ear.
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Addict

Event ASP6, Event ASP8, Event Opal.
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcp View Post
The rear port on any monitor I've ever seen AFAIK is tuned just below the resonance point of the low frequency driver, in most cases lower then 50Hz. Sound waves aren't so directional down there so it doesn't make much of a difference if that port is on the front or rear of the loudspeaker...the sound had no problem wrapping around the speaker...except for port turbulence or chuffing which is a much bigger problem if the port is facing you, as you will hear the full bandwidh of the noise instead of the attenuated version that has to diffract/wrap around the speaker or bounce off the wall behind the speaker before getting to your ear.
so it wouldnt matter if it was practically pushed up agains the wall? i would have thought that the sound coming from the port would be sort of exaggerated because it would bounce off the wall and hit me too quick
Old 4th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRich View Post
so it wouldnt matter if it was practically pushed up agains the wall? i would have thought that the sound coming from the port would be sort of exaggerated because it would bounce off the wall and hit me too quick
Its not that it doesn't matter...its just not as much a function of a rear facing port. Low frequencies from a front facing woofer wrap around the sides of the speaker and hit the wall just the same...Check out this and all other Genelec info on their page to further educate yourself on loudspeaker tech and placement strategy.

Wall behind the Loudspeaker Cancellation
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Nut

very interesting, i would not have even thought of phase cancellation as a way of correcting it, to me it sounds like something more theoretical and less real-world. that thing also said, unless i'm reading it wrong that bass traps would have too be soooo thick that it would be pretty much pointless, idk about that. but thanks for the link!
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Addict

Focal cms 40's

They're pretty much made for what you're looking for.
Can even be mounted on the wall.
I just got a pair. Love em!
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Nut

i forgot about the cms line, i'm not sure about the cms40s doesn't seem to have the low end i'm looking for, i might go for the 65s if i want to shell out the money, i like the smaller profile everyone seems to be ok with the fact that focals have smaller woofers. I went to GC yesterday and heard some HS80m's and didn't sound terrible to me...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search