The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help: Setting up a studio
Old 28th July 2011
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Help: Setting up a studio

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, my first post. And I'm looking for some advice on setting up a home studio.

Basically I have an iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.33GHz, its not very old & just toying with Garageband at the moment. However I would like to stretch the potential a bit more...

And basically wondered if you guys could guide me on the ideal basic set-up which can then be easily upgraded once I feel more confident?

I want to use Midi/keyboard controllers, record vocals, maybe 1 or 2 mic's and also record guitar parts, later on possibly adding drums.

So looking for:

1) Microphones,
2) Monitors,
3) Midi/keyboard controllers,
4) Headphones,
5) Soundcards,
6) Audio Interfaces
7) Software.
8) and anything I may have missed/or recommendations.

My preferred styles are R&B, Soul, Blues, Folk, Indie, Rock (bit eclectic) - and do my best to stay away from Pop - but still give it a go if it helps :-s

Thanks guys, look forward to your valued input.
Old 28th July 2011
  #2
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSock10 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, my first post. And I'm looking for some advice on setting up a home studio.

Basically I have an iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.33GHz, its not very old & just toying with Garageband at the moment. However I would like to stretch the potential a bit more...

And basically wondered if you guys could guide me on the ideal basic set-up which can then be easily upgraded once I feel more confident?

I want to use Midi/keyboard controllers, record vocals, maybe 1 or 2 mic's and also record guitar parts, later on possibly adding drums.

So looking for:

1) Microphones,
2) Monitors,
3) Midi/keyboard controllers,
4) Headphones,
5) Soundcards,
6) Audio Interfaces
7) Software.
8) and anything I may have missed/or recommendations.

My preferred styles are R&B, Soul, Blues, Folk, Indie, Rock (bit eclectic) - and do my best to stay away from Pop - but still give it a go if it helps :-s

Thanks guys, look forward to your valued input.
Here's what I'm using man. Let me know if you have any questions:
Shure SM7B Microphone
Triton Audio FETHEAD - Dynamic Microphone Boost
Focusrite ISA One Pre-Amp
Presonus Firestudio Mobile Interface
Stedman XL Pop Filter
Logic Studio
2TB Western Digital LX EHD for Mac
Sony Professional Studio Headphones (MDR7505 Model)
Live Wire Headphone Extension Cable

I spent months on research to find the best. Many musicians use these items I've listed, as well.
Old 28th July 2011
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Newmusic11 - cool thank you, really appreciate the help + the fast response. It's just knowing where to start, it's like an equipment minefield out there, so much stuff... :-s

Are you using a Mac??
Old 28th July 2011
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSock10 View Post
Newmusic11 - cool thank you, really appreciate the help + the fast response. It's just knowing where to start, it's like an equipment minefield out there, so much stuff... :-s

Are you using a Mac??
Yeah I'm a newb too lol so I'm trying to save you time and let you know what's good. I've done really hard core research on what works best with what, especially on a moderate budget.

I am using a MacBook Pro 13" and I project it onto my 47" HDTV and just use the wireless keyboard and mouse to control the tv like the screen... It really helps
Old 28th July 2011
  #5
I didn't see you mention one of the most important things to do when setting up a studio. Acoustic treatments. A tuned room will let you record and mix while hearing the true sound. In an untuned room, you will never hear the actual true sound and your mixes will not translate well onto other sound systems.
Old 28th July 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
The above and what kind of budget are you on max? budget will play a big part in how good your equipment can be. Though many producers produce in untreated rooms and their productions translate well onto other systems, all depends on how good you are and knowing your equipment, of course being treated is always better then not being so as there will be loads of flaw's, but you can work around it if you have good reference speakers and headphones.
Old 29th July 2011
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Hi guys really appreciate the feedback.
Budget-wise, well I already have the computer, so its basically everything else to compliment that now. But I'm looking to spend between £2000-£3000. But if I can get a quality set-up for less, then - even better!

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond guys.
Old 29th July 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
88fingerz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSock10 View Post

So looking for:

1) Microphones,
Blue Bluebird

2) Monitors
Mackie Mr5mk2

3) Midi/keyboard controllers,
M-Audio Keystation 61es

4) Headphones
Sennheiser HD280/Sony MDR7506

5) Soundcards,
6) Audio Interfaces
7) Software
Avid M-Box3/Pro Tools 9

8) and anything I may have missed/or recommendations
Room treatment, Kerig Coffee Machine

My preferred styles are R&B, Soul, Blues, Folk, Indie, Rock (bit eclectic) - and do my best to stay away from Pop - but still give it a go if it helps :-s

Thanks guys, look forward to your valued input.
That's a very budget friendly setup I've recommended but the results could potentially be outstanding. Cheers

Last edited by 88fingerz; 29th July 2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Editing is delightful!
Old 2nd August 2011
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Nice one, thank you for the advice guys. Really appreciate it.
Also checked out rockgardenmusic.com - nice work, cool studio.
Old 2nd August 2011
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Songhead's Avatar
My advice would be to start with one of your most important purchases, which will be your monitors. Not knowing your room size or dimensions, or any other details it's impossible to recommend one specific set of monitors over another, but rue of thumb is "you get what you pay for". If I were in your spot and looking to spend 2000-3000 for your upgrade, I would plan on spending about half of that on the monitors. They are the lens that you use to examine every other factor, and you get much more detail and useful information out of a purpose-built studio monitor than you do from Hi-Fi speakers or cheapo wanna-be studio monitors. People wonder why a small pair of Genelec or Focal or Dynaudio monitors cost so much more than a big pair of Behringers or Mackies, but the truth is in the accuracy and detail. Once you have a good pair of monitors that you know and trust, all your other equipment and mixing decisions will be much easier, and more apparent.
Old 2nd August 2011
  #11
If I had to start over, YIKES, I would start with the following, knowing what I know now.

Mics
Avantone ck40
CAD m179
Behringer B2 Pro

Interface
Liquid Saffire (Has two liquid pres on it)

Compressors
ART Pro VLA2
Chameleon Labs 7702
FMR RNC and/or RNLA

Monitors
KRK RPG2 8"

The computer you already made a great choice.

Software
Reaper

Phones
ex29 iso

two sound treated rooms, one for control and one for recording.

Best o luck

DP
Old 2nd August 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songhead View Post
I would plan on spending about half of that on the monitors. They are the lens that you use to examine every other factor, and you get much more detail and useful information out of a purpose-built studio monitor than you do from Hi-Fi speakers or cheapo wanna-be studio monitors. People wonder why a small pair of Genelec or Focal or Dynaudio monitors cost so much more than a big pair of Behringers or Mackies, but the truth is in the accuracy and detail. Once you have a good pair of monitors that you know and trust, all your other equipment and mixing decisions will be much easier, and more apparent.

Fully agreed. The Mackies and KRK's that have been mentioned are just much lower range and for a really tight budget, which should not really be used in a full mixing/mastering studio.

Got to consider the likes of Adam, Focal, Dynaudio, Genelec etc.
Old 2nd August 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Preamp View Post
If I had to start over, YIKES, I would start with the following, knowing what I know now.

Mics
Avantone ck40
CAD m179
Behringer B2 Pro

Interface
Liquid Saffire (Has two liquid pres on it)

Compressors
ART Pro VLA2
Chameleon Labs 7702
FMR RNC and/or RNLA

Monitors
KRK RPG2 8"

The computer you already made a great choice.

Software
Reaper

Phones
ex29 iso

two sound treated rooms, one for control and one for recording.

Best o luck

DP
This sounds solid. And when you can buy used! It'll go a lot further.
Old 2nd August 2011
  #14
Oh! Man o' man! If I could afford it, these babies are awesome! Do some digging and you will see these are the real deal in monitors, and hardly anyone knows about them.

Pair of SPENDOR SA300 Active Studio Monitors, Exc Cond | eBay

DP
Old 3rd August 2011
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Hi Guys,

Really appreciate you taking the time to provide comprehensive feedback.
It's helping me massively.

Keep it coming.
Old 3rd August 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSock10 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, my first post. And I'm looking for some advice on setting up a home studio.

Basically I have an iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.33GHz, its not very old & just toying with Garageband at the moment. However I would like to stretch the potential a bit more...

And basically wondered if you guys could guide me on the ideal basic set-up which can then be easily upgraded once I feel more confident?

I want to use Midi/keyboard controllers, record vocals, maybe 1 or 2 mic's and also record guitar parts, later on possibly adding drums.

So looking for:

1) Microphones,
2) Monitors,
3) Midi/keyboard controllers,
4) Headphones,
5) Soundcards,
6) Audio Interfaces
7) Software.
8) and anything I may have missed/or recommendations.

My preferred styles are R&B, Soul, Blues, Folk, Indie, Rock (bit eclectic) - and do my best to stay away from Pop - but still give it a go if it helps :-s

Thanks guys, look forward to your valued input.
I would look into some drum loop libraries or at least programming some midi drums into your songs that you could record on a live kit later. I've found addictive drums to sound pretty good and is easy to use. There are others like steven slate drums, etc. Building the groove up with the drums and bass makes it easier for me to "feel" the song, and then my chord progressions and guitar melodies etc. tend to "fit" better.

I'm sure you can work the other way around, but I guess I'm saying don't discount the rhythm section of your productions or have them as an afterthought.

And usually when recording the vocals are tracked once the instrumentals are done. At least, that's been my experience.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump