The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which EL34 or 6L6 tubes to get for Coreblade amp?
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Maniac
Which EL34 or 6L6 tubes to get for Coreblade amp?

Hi all,

My coreblade bust a tube yesterday

I read that the amp auto-biases tubes, so this means that I can literally take out the broken tube and replace it, right?

I want to get some new EL34 tubes, but I don't have a clue which ones come stock with the amp as I like the sound as it is and don't want to change the sound of the amp too much if I can help it. I've seen that Marshall and Groove Tubes do EL34s and so do ENGL, and there are also 6L6's available too, are they good or not really?

Also, what is the difference between EL34 and 6L6 tubes? I play metal and I've read that 6L6 have tighter bass, but will it affect the character of the sound significantly other than that? The amp can accept combinations of them so would ordering also change the sound?

If anyone has some answers/suggestions it would be greatly appreciated heh
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Head

el34 = more mids / tigher bass.

branded valves are generally cheap sovtek or similar. My recomendation would to be go for the JJ el34 or shuguang el34
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Nut

6L6 are great. I think the sound is a little bit 'fatter' and not so sharp as EL 34.
I have had 6L6 in a Soldano Hot Rod 50 and a Mesa Dual Rectifier.
I Like it

cheers

Machine Head
Old 27th July 2011
My 40+ years of guitar amp experience says EL34's have a much more open top end than 6L6's that sound dark in comparison. Of course, individual manufacturer's will vary that quite a bit. I prefer 6CA7's myself, those are the American version of EL34's I've used since the late 1960's with my old Canned Heat TNT amps. They have tighter low end than EL34's and are ruggedized for longer life.

If your amp came with 6L6's, DO NOT assume you can plug in EL34's! 6L6's have their screen grids internally connected, they are not in EL34 layouts. In Fender amps you need to rewire the power tube sockets to connect that "floating" screen grid. Check with the manufacturer before changing tube types, or you may let the smoke out.
Old 28th July 2011
Gear Maniac
Thanks guys,

The coreblade amp can accept both EL34 and 6L6 tubes in the power tube slots, so they can be mixed and matched. Are there any dangers of electrocution that I should be aware of before I change my tubes? Or is it relatively safe just taking some out and putting new ones in?
Old 26th November 2016
Here for the gear

Actually to be correct the manual of the Coreblade specifically states to only use 6l6GC, or EL34 tubes, from what I've read there is quite a big difference, to a 6l6.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search