The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SHE IS GOING TO KNOW THAT THE PACIFICA IS NEW
Old 16th March 2006
  #31
Gear Nut
 
jkshort's Avatar
 

Funny thread!

I do buying for some MI stores and our sales people can put special handling notes on orders. I see things like 'call cell phone when in- NOT home number as wife will kill'
pretty much daily.

I don't buy much gear personally anymore but do get samples to try out regullarly and am always brining stuff home. Since I live in a condo my wife regularly casts dissaproving looks at me as I truck more gear home. She has threatened to put one of those things you see at airports that you have to check the size of your carry on luggage in by the front door. If the gear doesn't fit then it goes back down into the trunk of my car.
Old 16th March 2006
  #32
Lives for gear
 
severe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkshort
Funny thread!

I do buying for some MI stores and our sales people can put special handling notes on orders. I see things like 'call cell phone when in- NOT home number as wife will kill'
pretty much daily.

I don't buy much gear personally anymore but do get samples to try out regullarly and am always brining stuff home. Since I live in a condo my wife regularly casts dissaproving looks at me as I truck more gear home. She has threatened to put one of those things you see at airports that you have to check the size of your carry on luggage in by the front door. If the gear doesn't fit then it goes back down into the trunk of my car.

Where do you park?
Old 16th March 2006
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman
You could always tell her " Oh, yeah, Jim Williams sent these back with the pre he modded for me . You know, the one I told you about! Jim said he wanted me to compare the difference between the modded pre and the Pacifica. And if the modded pre didn't sound as good as the Pacifica, I could just keep it....!".....heh
Yeah Right! I will own up to it and she will get over it.
After I got done switching around a few things in the rack and wiring it in, I had to try it out even though it was getting late.
Even the first tests sitting in the control room with a 57 going "check 1-2, test.." I immediatly could tell that this is a GREAT preamp. Of couse I had to do comparisons to some of my other preamps, and also pull out the Taylor acoustic for samples...
Bottom line is that I LOVE this Pacifica preamp.
Decided to wrap it up, thought it was around 1:00 a.m...it was 3:30 a.m.
Damn I'm tired right now!
Funny stuff here Brothas!
Old 16th March 2006
  #34
Lives for gear
 
airmate's Avatar
 

the other day my girlfriend called me late after midnight to ask me some questions about compressor settings for her own little home studio cubase rig. sweet!
Old 16th March 2006
  #35
Lives for gear
 
themaidsroom's Avatar
 

although this is very dark, irreverant and manipulative, i have heard that
elliot smith's better half often gave him grief about the amount of gear
he bought...........
(i'd keep this one as a last resort)





- jack
Old 16th March 2006
  #36
Lives for gear
 
severe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
although this is very dark, irreverant and manipulative, i have heard that
elliot smith's better half often gave him grief about the amount of gear
he bought...........
(i'd keep this one as a last resort)- jack


Oh Man!
Old 16th March 2006
  #37
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate
the other day my girlfriend called me late after midnight to ask me some questions about compressor settings for her own little home studio cubase rig. sweet!
Marry Her!
Old 16th March 2006
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Riad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
then I'm in real trouble ... both cars and gear

Brian,

I didn't know you were part of the Porsche fraternity!
Old 16th March 2006
  #39
Gear Addict
 
jebjerome's Avatar
 

I feel you. I've got a Purple MC77 on the way right now, and I don't think she'll be able to overlook that.
Old 16th March 2006
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Riad's Avatar
 

I came home with a Control | 24, hooked it up and set it to Vegas Mode. Wife is like "What the hell is that?", I looked confused and reply "What?"
Old 16th March 2006
  #41
jdg
Lives for gear
 
jdg's Avatar
my girl spends more on mixers then i do!

this is the last one she bought! http://www.lauroauction.com/images/c...s/DCP_4787.JPG
Old 16th March 2006
  #42
Lives for gear
 

This is a pretty obvious one, but in case you haven't tried it...simply explain that you just "did a trade" for the gear. You know...for some extra gear you had in the closet that wasn't being used anymore. In the event that you don't want to outright lie about it, keep in mind that you really DID trade...hard earned cash was exchanged for cool shiny box that makes sound.
Old 16th March 2006
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
My wife refuses to merge our bank accounts so she doesn't have to acknowledge the substantial amounts of dough I spend on gear. Works for me...

If you need a hiding spot for your Pacifica, I'm here for you.heh
Old 16th March 2006
  #44
Gear Head
 
jdfoca's Avatar
 

Just tell her that 1) it keeps us off the street and getting into trouble, 2) at least we're not out gambling it away, 3) it's a great "investment" and we can always recoup the money lmao, and 4) at leastshe knows where she can find you to work on the "honey do" list joe
Old 16th March 2006
  #45
Gear Addict
 
dillweed's Avatar
Difference between men and women

if women were rack gear......
Attached Images
File Type: psd controls (1).psd (2.01 MB, 286 views)
Old 16th March 2006
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

My girlfriend has been encouraging me to get something colourful just to brighten up the racks - I know she's a big fan of all things purple and I need another compressor...
Old 16th March 2006
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Tone Laborer's Avatar
If she likes rap, you might try something along the lines of:

Look Biziatch, your pimp daddy needs a new Ho up his jock to help him bust a few rhymes...fo rizzle
Old 16th March 2006
  #48
Lives for gear
 
macr0w's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
Marry Her!
Yes indeed. NOW! Do not wait another day. heh
Old 16th March 2006
  #49
Lives for gear
 
macr0w's Avatar
 

You know, back in january I posted that I recieved a cash bonus from work that my wife didn't know about. And asked if I should tell her or buy a fatso. And people acted like I was the worst liar in the world and that I must have a terrible relationship with my wife if i felt the need to keep it from her. Where's that crowd now? I got myself a fatso btw. heh
Old 16th March 2006
  #50
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w
You know, back in january I posted that I recieved a cash bonus from work that my wife didn't know about. And asked if I should tell her or buy a fatso. And people acted like I was the worst liar in the world and that I must have a terrible relationship with my wife if i felt the need to keep it from her. Where's that crowd now? I got myself a fatso btw. heh
Well my situation is a little different....
She is not my wife yet, but we are getting married on June 3rd.
I am trying to buy as much as I can before it becomes "our" money, but she will still probably be pissed off about this.
Maybe this is a good test.
Old 16th March 2006
  #51
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
This is my pecking order:

It's for a review
It's on loan
It didn't cost much
It's an investment
It is essential
Oh, I told you about that before.

If I am really, really desperate I just try to look as sorry as possible...

I have a bad case of GAS, I know.
Old 16th March 2006
  #52
Lives for gear
 

i spent 2500 a few weeks ago on gear! my chick still hasent gotten over it! but **** it! all i care about is music and sex! lol i love life!!!!!!!! and an eating when im really hungry! like now! peace!
Old 16th March 2006
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
DonPedro's Avatar
 

"I bought this for my cigarette money" (worked for a while after i quit smoking)

Now it's more like "I bought this for my golf money" or "I bought this for my crack cocaine money".

My wife knows I suffer from gearingitis. She chose to marry me anyway. I make sure we don't run out of cash for the "important stuff" (food, housing, taxes and crap... as if), she doesn't mind.

I collect audio gear, guitars and amps, camera gear and lenses, watches, computers and I love cars.

What can I say, I belong here.

Old 16th March 2006
  #54
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPedro
"I bought this for my cigarette money" (worked for a while after i quit smoking)

Now it's more like "I bought this for my golf money" or "I bought this for my crack cocaine money".

My wife knows I suffer from gearingitis. She chose to marry me anyway. I make sure we don't run out of cash for the "important stuff" (food, housing, taxes and crap... as if), she doesn't mind.
I collect audio gear, guitars and amps, camera gear and lenses, watches, computers and I love cars.
What can I say, I belong here.
I will have to remember those ones... good work.
:-)

Actually Janet (my wife) is extremely understanding about the gear.
Also anyone who owns 82 pairs of shoes has very little moral high ground in my opinion.
Old 16th March 2006
  #55
Gear Nut
 
supernova's Avatar
 

My ex wife used to curse the "damned studio" whenever a new piece of gear came in, even if I sold something to finance the purchase. Airmate, you are a lucky, lucky man! Marry that woman!

Now, I'm free to buy whatever I want! Just got selected for the new Toft ATB pilot program and am buying some new monitors (Event ASP8). Yay!!!
Old 17th March 2006
  #56
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetNinja
Could you tell me more about this? The why, the what, the end result anticipated/experienced?
I sure will.
You can read some additional info, and I will post in the following thread after the mods are done.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/62007-need-advice-studio-technologies-mic-preeminence.html
Old 17th March 2006
  #57
excuse #1 " I traded it in for what used to be in that space.
excuse #2 it only cost 100 bucks!
Old 17th March 2006
  #58
Gear Addict
 

Yip, my wife keeps telling me how my stuff already sounds great what do I need more stuff for, then she hears the new stuff and says yeay it sounds better, so ow why do you need more stuff? ..So it can sound even better! she won like me saving for a U67




Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymakestapes
My girl kicks me in the teeth everytime i buy a new plug in let alone any rack gear. Consider yourself lucky. (and not toothless)

No teeth? No Regrets.
Old 17th March 2006
  #59
Lives for gear
 
AdamJay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
I will have to remember those ones... good work.
:-)

Actually Janet (my wife) is extremely understanding about the gear.
Also anyone who owns 82 pairs of shoes has very little moral high ground in my opinion.
i'm with you.
my girl buys a new bag with every new cold front that passes through...
so i can rationalize buying a new pre at the same rate heh
Old 17th March 2006
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Jonathan Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjerome
I feel you. I've got a Purple MC77 on the way right now, and I don't think she'll be able to overlook that.
It's amazing what a couple of ratty old pieces of console tape can do for a piece of new gear!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump