The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL LSR Opinions
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
JBL LSR Opinions

JBL Studio monitors??? mmmm, convince me. My memories of JBL's in the studio are not particuarly positive but a friend has suggested that the new LSR's are worth checking out. I could probably get a pair up but it'll be cashing a favour in to do so. Is it worth my time?

They are certainly priced to do the job but that means nothing.... are any serious bods using these?
Old 16th March 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
LSR 6328P user here...

Although I absolutley (and honestly) think these sing like angels to my ears....It would be insulting to assume they would work for you.

Usual monitor advice here...listen for yourself.

If you are asking are they worth the listen? Then...Yes.

Good luck bro,

Respect,
Old 16th March 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm considering these (the 6328's) as well. What other contenders are there at the $2000 price point?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have the older LSR 28P's and love them to death. I chose them over at least 2 other capable alternatives after a listening test.

Best Regards,

Mike.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsmith64
I have the older LSR 28P's and love them to death. I chose them over at least 2 other capable alternatives after a listening test.

Best Regards,

Mike.
Probably the most under-rated monitor of all time! I have a pair as well....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the older LSR 28's as a surround system. I love them. I usually mix on ADAMs S3As but love to have the JBLs around for the sheer fun of it.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have lsr-32's mounted in my wall. Fantastic.

The LSR series is just a great, classic design.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the LSR's as well.. they've been my small monitor of choice for years now.

but then, from AIR to Abbey Road to Trident to Messina (Geoff Daking's studio) and on and on... I've always got on really well with JBL's.

they've always translated really well for me as well as being comfortable to WORK on.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've got 5 6328's with the sub for music surround work. Unbelievable! Do yourself a favor - don't mess around and put them on Soundanchors stands. Between the speakers and the stands, when I show up at mastering listening thru 150k system, there are no surprises!

You might get the idea that I love these things!!

peace

mixboy
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
I have the older LSR 28's as a surround system. I love them. I usually mix on ADAMs S3As but love to have the JBLs around for the sheer fun of it.

-R
Nice problem to have

can you explain what you mean when you say "love to have the JBLs around for the sheer fun of it. "

I was thinking of the LSR's as well. Every opinion is welcome.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
......."JBL Studio monitors??? mmmm, convince me..."

Nope..you'll have to convince yourself. Do a search. There've been countless praises of the 6328's around here in the past year, including several by me.

After you read the past posts about them, go listen to them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm using them too. The first speaker I've really comfortable mixing on in a long time.

Steve
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
LSR: Midfield vs. Nearfield

For the LSR28p's, I have heard that they don't work so well in the near-field position. They're more of a mid-field monitor. Are you guys using them as near-fields? What about the LSR6238 -- Is anyone using them as near-fields? Do they have too much bass at this position?

Thanks.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
don't mess around and put them on Soundanchors stands.
Hey Bob...which Sound Anchor stands are you using with your 6328Ps?

Just curious.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use them both ways, depending on the studio logistics...

either on the meter bridge or back on stands behind the desk

they work fine either way.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
That's great to know, too, William.

One reads so much about separation...keeping your monitors off your desk. But in almost every studio glamour shot you see, there are the nearfields sitting on each side of the computer screens.
Old 17th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the old LSR32 together with a Hafler amp.
It is a great monitor which translates very well to the world outside the studio.

In comparison to th LSR28 it is a step up - more detailed, not boomy at all, very linear/transparent, slim but deep bass.

The more I had the opportunity to compare it with S3A, KS digital ADM2, ATC SCM20, PMC AML1, K+H O300 the more I had the feeling I did the right decision.

The S3A would have been the next choice I could imagine which is even a bit more transparent but is more difficult to make decisions in the bass regions during a mix.

IΒ΄ve used the LSR32 even on some mastering projects with good results.
In conjunction with a good amp the LSR32 is underrated.
The LSR28 may be more fun (in the first moment) but listening longer to both the 28 is a league beneath - itΒ΄s more hifi like and less a good tool for mixing in my ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Nice problem to have

can you explain what you mean when you say "love to have the JBLs around for the sheer fun of it. "

I was thinking of the LSR's as well. Every opinion is welcome.
You can crank them and they're extremely gratifying, almost big soffit speaker sounding. Great for tracking, programming drums & synths, checking the feel of the grooves. Great for blasting at the end of the night to see if everyone gets up and starts dancing around. Also, for surround mixing, they really disappear. Less sense of sound coming out of a box.

These are the old LSR 28's I'm talking about. A friend of mine has both old and new and doesn't seem to think there's a world of diff.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar
I use the old LSR32 together with a Hafler amp.
It is a great monitor which translates very well to the world outside the studio.

In comparison to th LSR28 it is a step up - more detailed, not boomy at all, very linear/transparent, slim but deep bass.

The more I had the opportunity to compare it with S3A, KS digital ADM2, ATC SCM20, PMC AML1, K+H O300 the more I had the feeling I did the right decision.

The S3A would have been the next choice I could imagine which is even a bit more transparent but is more difficult to make decisions in the bass regions during a mix.

IΒ΄ve used the LSR32 even on some mastering projects with good results.
In conjunction with a good amp the LSR32 is underrated.
The LSR28 may be more fun (in the first moment) but listening longer to both the 28 is a league beneath - itΒ΄s more hifi like and less a good tool for mixing in my ears.
The 28's were my main mixing speakers for a few years and I was quite happy with them, but the S3A's are easier to get there on and more trustworthy to me, even in the low end. They're sort of my NS-10's. Between the two I feel no need tto reference anything else, and any translation problems are simply due to my own lameness.

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LSR 28P here since they came out. We love them and the clients are happy
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
6328 user for about a year - pretty flat to me in a good way, detailed and revealing. They don't have that mid low JBL sweetness of golden older JBL's. Anyone have their room correcting thingy I can borrow?
Gear Addict

14 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've been using LSR32s with Crown K2 power for 5 years. I think of them as VERY flat. Definitely mid-field, not near-field. I had lots of trouble when I tried them near field. I have them in an approximately 8' equilateral triangle now, and love them. I don't get fatigued.

I chose them over LSR28s. I thought the 28s sounded harsh in the high end, and needed a sub for low end. I don't like using subs, because the time-alignment problem screws with me.

Happy hunting.
Lee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm very happy with my 5 LSR28Ps!!!
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Probably the most under-rated monitor of all time! I have a pair as well....
I love mine, too.. although I see people diss them pretty hard now and then. The LSR28P are killer and they were reasonably priced. I'm considering upgrading to the 6328 because they use the room mode calibration kit and they're shielded.

Whatever you get, I suggest BUYING LOCALLY ONLY! I went through some real hassles with returning my LSR's to Pacific Pro Audio a few times. They wanted to stick me with a pair of noisy ones that no one else would keep...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I love mine, too.. although I see people diss them pretty hard now and then.
I had read a bad review right before I purchased my 28P's. I didn't care, because my ears told me that they were the right monitors for me. I brought in one of my own mixes and tested several pairs of monitors and walked away with the JBL's. I've been happy ever since. But isn't that the way it goes? You can always find someone dissing almost any piece of gear.

Best Regards,

Mike.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
LSR 28Ps here also -
I have them on stands about 18 inches behind the console and have been mixing on them for over 2 years. I'm extremely happy and confident with them. I also use NS10s and between the 2, I don't "second guess" my mixes.

But, it comes down to what works for you and your room. I'm fortunate to be in a town with a lot of gear available so I was able to try out several monitors and the JBLs won.

Good luck -
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
JBL vs Dynaudio?

Anyobody compared the LSR32 or 28 to Dynaudio BM15?
ILL
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
And what's the deal with the 4328 ? How does it compare to the 6328 ?
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL
And what's the deal with the 4328 ? How does it compare to the 6328 ?
Well.. not enough power for my tastes. The 28's have 250w LF drives and I think 125w for the highs. And I'd rather leave speaker attenuation to a purpose-built attenuator like my Marchand. Plus they're fugly.
Old 18th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I went through: 824's, NS10's, Truth TA-1P's, Dyn BM15p's with Hafler 9505 and JBL LSR 6328p's. I mixes multiple projects on each monitor pair...

I kept the JBL's.
πŸ“ Reply