The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using one trk to trigger a gate in another via a side chain...
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

Using one trk to trigger a gate in another via a side chain...

Not sure if this is in the right forum, and I'm sure somebody will have posted about this stuff before, but I can't find anything so...

I'm currently learning about gating/expansion. What I'm trying to learn to do at the moment is using one trk to trigger another (with a gate on it) via a side chain. For instance I have these two files below - Kick_in, Kick_out. I prefer the sound of the kick on the Kick_out trk but there is a load of spill at a high level, so I can't get the gate to trigger reliably. How would you go about getting the Kick_in to trigger the Kick_out so that you can reliably set the gate to isolate the sound of the kick from the Kick_out trk? Can't get it to work. Probably a routing issue - I'm using Cubase 5.

Ta in advance...
Attached Files

kick_in.mp3 (2.26 MB, 55 views)

kick_out.mp3 (2.26 MB, 47 views)

Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

Mods, can you move this into the newbies area please? Wrong section me thinks. Ta.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Addict

I can't speak to specifics in Cubase, but I'll give you the PT method and hopefully it'll translate over to Cubase.

1. Put your gate plugin on the Kick Out track (make sure you choose a gate that has sidechaining capability).

2. Set the sidechain key on the gate to a certain bus (pick one)

3. Set up a prefader send on the Kick In track, sending to the bus you chose

Depending on the plug, you may be able to "audition" the key input to set the gate. Some also allow you to EQ the sidechain to make the gate response more accurate.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase and Nuendo

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Using one trk to trigger a gate in another via a side chain...-sch.jpg  
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for tedpenn. when you set the release time, listen to the track in context with the rest of the kit and rest of the song.

as a tip, i like to trigger expanders on room mics using the under snare in this same setup.

and next time, put a blanket over your kick and the outside mic, or build a kick tunnel.
Old 23rd July 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianpolecat View Post
Not sure if this is in the right forum, and I'm sure somebody will have posted about this stuff before, but I can't find anything so...

I'm currently learning about gating/expansion. What I'm trying to learn to do at the moment is using one trk to trigger another (with a gate on it) via a side chain. For instance I have these two files below - Kick_in, Kick_out. I prefer the sound of the kick on the Kick_out trk but there is a load of spill at a high level, so I can't get the gate to trigger reliably. How would you go about getting the Kick_in to trigger the Kick_out so that you can reliably set the gate to isolate the sound of the kick from the Kick_out trk? Can't get it to work. Probably a routing issue - I'm using Cubase 5.

Ta in advance...
Check out page 161. Follow that and It will definitely do what you want done.
Edit: I tried to upload the operation manual but it didn't load. I'm sure you have it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search