The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to sync 24tr. Tape machine to PT|HD the best way?
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

How to sync 24tr. Tape machine to PT|HD the best way?

Hi,
we are running a small recoringstudio and we just got a 2" 24tr. Tape-machine (Sony apr 124) from a friend to "store" an are allowed to use it.
The Question is: How could we sync it to our PT|HD the best way?
of course with MMC and timecode with the tape-machine as master (because its slower than PT). but do we need a sync-HD? or is a simple midi-interface enough?

greetings Luke
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Ideally, PT should be the master and the Sony should chase. You could use a Micro Lynx or similar synchronizer. You could get a SyncHD and stripe the tape and have Pro Tools chase the Sony, but then the computer's word clock would be slaved to the analog. Again, not ideal, but it's been done.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Digidesign Sync and an old Time Line that I have had for years. The Sync is easily interfaced with PT.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear
You can use the old Timeline modules as long as it has a confuration for your machine. I see he mpdule around pretty cheap. The cavling might be harder to find, or you hight have to get it built.

If you find a MicroLynx with the word clock card you don't need need the Sync I/o.

At any rate, as stated above slaving the tape to PT is the way to go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search