The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there any advantage to protools hd cards?
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Nut
Is there any advantage to protools hd cards?

Now that protools 9 allows you to use there software with the converters of your choice, can you achieve the same quality AND processing power/speed with competing products?

Obviously, there are plenty of converters that are better than the 192s, but what about TDM plugins? Can you run them w/out hd core cards? Does Lynx or anyone make an alternative card, that is equal?
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

TDM Plug-ins are coded for HD TDM DSP cards (Like UA Audio plug-ins)
- lower latency especially when tracking monitoring though plugins with out recording down the DSP

- Hardware based Audio engine so lots of tracks (192) with zero CPU stress

- DSP Caching so when you open the next song in a project your DSP is cached and it opens fast- I/o count goes up up to 160 channels so you can have dedicated I/O for all your pres and consoles and other outboard gear and instruments.

There are still lots of good quality TDM only plug-ins (Heat/Phoenix/Revive/VSS3 etc)
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear
Pretty much the only thing that I find helpful is the plugins that are TDM-only, like what T_R_S suggested, everything else can be dealt with or worked around.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Nut
Ok, well I understand why the core cards are important, but what i'm here is that there are no competing products for the HD Core Cards. Is that correct? If you don't go HD Core - you will be 100% reliant on your CPU to process all of the recording information, plugins, sessions etc.

Does that sound about right?
Old 22nd July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHissin View Post
Ok, well I understand why the core cards are important, but what i'm here is that there are no competing products for the HD Core Cards. Is that correct? If you don't go HD Core - you will be 100% reliant on your CPU to process all of the recording information, plugins, sessions etc.

Does that sound about right?
Yes, that is correct. Only the HD cards allow the PT|HD mixer to run on the cards so that there is basically 0 latency at any point in the process.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search