The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic guitar mic type (for a certain style of music)
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

Acoustic guitar mic type (for a certain style of music)

Hi, i know people are asking for these questions all the time, but i need to hear your experienced opinion about this.

i would like to get an acoustic guitar mic for folk-styled music, much like james taylor's tunes.

most importantly, what kind of guitar mic would you get for this kind of music?
if you are to choose a mic to record james taylor's guitar what would you choose? LCD, SDC, or SCD pair?

the selection of mic type is more important to me at the moment, but i'll be happy to hear of specific mic models either.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

How complicated would you like it to be? You can do just fine with a decent LDC--say, and AT 4050--at chest level about 18-24" away that will pick up the guitar and vocals both. Tons of threads on this, but it's a start.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
You can do just fine with a decent LDC--say, and AT 4050--at chest level about 18-24" away that will pick up the guitar and vocals both. Tons of threads on this, but it's a start.
+1 on this. I've heard Ed's AC guitar tracks in another forum and he does a fine job with them.

I typically use a technique I read about in Frets magazine once. They were interviewing Scott Rouse. Here's a link to the article, just scroll down to where it says Mic Positions. This works really well with a 4033 and MK012 also.

Scott Rouse
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
+1 on this. I've heard Ed's AC guitar tracks in another forum and he does a fine job with them.

I typically use a technique I read about in Frets magazine once. They were interviewing Scott Rouse. Here's a link to the article, just scroll down to where it says Mic Positions. This works really well with a 4033 and MK012 also.

Scott Rouse
Thank you, sir. Cuz my next step is an Oktava M-012 on the 12th, and the 4050 a little closer.

OP, you've opened quite a can of worms here--we're on the verge of M/S and xy and all kinds of esoteric stuff!
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
How complicated would you like it to be? You can do just fine with a decent LDC--say, and AT 4050--at chest level about 18-24" away that will pick up the guitar and vocals both. Tons of threads on this, but it's a start.
i defiantly want the vocals and guitar to be recorded with separate mics.
the question is, what kind of mic (from the three possibilities i mentioned) is best for the acoustic guitar when i want to capture the sound i described.
i mentioned james taylor because i like how the guitar sounds in his tracks, but have no idea if he used an LDC, SDC, or SDC pair..
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear
See this video of James Taylor in studio doing "Covers" album:
James Taylor | Making "Covers" on Vimeo

See guitar mics at about 1:29 - a pair of different mics (LDC and MDC?) placed with caps close together at 12th fret.

Separate vocal mic.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi607 View Post
i defiantly want the vocals and guitar to be recorded with separate mics.
the question is, what kind of mic (from the three possibilities i mentioned) is best for the acoustic guitar when i want to capture the sound i described...
OP. Regarding technique, I like to use a fig-8 mic on the guitar with the null point pointed at the vocalist's mouth. Then I like to use an LDC on the vocal. Phasing is key here...the bi directional mic will help you with this.

The JT sound is really heavily dependent on the player/the instrument/and the room. If you've got the same or similar gear and you play in a similar style with similar technique, you are halfway there. I don't play by hard and fast rules, best advice I could give is to use the ears and experiment with SDC and LDC to see what moves you.

Hope this helps at least a bit.
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehauser View Post

See guitar mics at about 1:29 - a pair of different mics (LDC and MDC?) placed with caps close together at 12th fret.

Separate vocal mic.
Nice find! looks like one LDC and one SDC to me..

in fact, the LDC looks like a Rode K2 to me, cant identify the SDC.
lol i feel like a microphone stalker.. but you know what, why not, learning from pro's instead of auditioning endless mics makes sense to me..

EDIT: no its not Rode K2, doesn't have the black stripe on the bottom.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehauser View Post

Separate vocal mic.
Cool video, thanks for posting! Looks like a Studio Projects mic on the bgv? C3? T3? can't tell.
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldstone View Post
Cool video, thanks for posting! Looks like a Studio Projects mic on the bgv? C3? T3? can't tell.
I don't think its the Studio Projects nor Rode K2, you can see it clearly on 02:47, there is some blurry logo on the bottom of the mic, doesn't look like the SP.
also, the SP has a slight curve on the metal frame around the grill, on their mic its straight, you can see it on 01:30 and on 02:41.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Maniac

That sure looks like a SP C1 to me! (it looks exactly like mine) It even has the CE (curved font) on the back of it like that. It sounds excellent on vocals, but never tried it on acoustic.

I have however used my 4050 pointed at the 12th fret.....sounds pretty dang good.
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

I opened a Mics identification thread!
Mics identification challenge! (from pics and HD video)

now we can get back to what you guys think, without relating to the video.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search