The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need your Help with Setting up a Home Studio!
Old 21st July 2011
Here for the gear

I need your Help with Setting up a Home Studio!

I really need some Good Advice & Help with Planning a Home recording studio. This seems like one of the best forum on the Net for studio setup and gear , so I feel like you guys can Really Help me..

I`m trying to set up a Studio in my Room so I can record music, mix and Master. I know the acoustics in a Bedroom are far from ideal, but I don`t have much choice. It`s either up here, or down in my Hollow, echoing basement.

The first and only thing so far that I`ve ordered Online is the Mic. It`s an Audio technica 4033 CL, Link Here: Long & McQuade - Audio-Technica AT4033/CL - Studio Mic

I heard good reviews for it`s use in Hip hop, rap, rnb, soft rock, etc So I believe it will suit Me Well. Maybe I am wrong, Lol. But it`s sitting on my desk, so that ship has sailed..

I`m also Planning on ordering Two Krk Speakers, I`ve heard raging reviews and after hours of research am set on them: Long & McQuade - KRK RP-5 G2 Powered Monitor (Next paycheck:D)

Of course I`m getting a Mic stand, pop FIlter, and an XLR Cable for my Mic. But, here is where I am Lost...I am confused about what `Preamp`to get and what Soundcard...or sound interface. I THINK I`ll need both? From what I've researched, I was planning on purchasing This Behringer Mini Mixer with Preamp: Amazon.com: Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps and British EQs: Musical Instruments ..And a CHeap audio Interface to couple with it..: Amazon.com: Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out Usb Audio Interface with Digital Output And Massive Software Bundle: Musical Instruments . My primary use for my mic is to Record Vocals for Songs. But I would also possibly like the capability to hook up Instruments as well.

I Really don't know if what I showed you above is what I need. I don't want a Real Beginner set up I wanna start around the intermediate level If i can. But, I'm not sure if this will even Work. Or even how to hook the mixer up to the sound interface....Lol.

Is this an Ideal set up? And if not, is there an audio interface that has a preamp in it Like M-box (I think)..that you would Reccomend? I was looking into protools and Would not mind learning on it. Also, If I get headphones, where Am I going to plug them in? The mixer?

If anybody could be humble and help me out I'd really appreciate it, just trying to get this project Off the Ground.heh
Old 21st July 2011
Here for the gear

judt upping for at least 1 person to help me..
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Addict

Eric,

Are you in Canada? It's the reference to Long & McQuade
I would shop there when I was in Vancouver a long time ago.

Do you have a computer that can move data fast enough for audio?

Let's start with that, PC or Apple?
Old 21st July 2011
get reaper instead of pro tools!
aphex 107 is a good cheap preamp option.

Luck!
Old 21st July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by babooino View Post
get reaper instead of pro tools!
aphex 107 is a good cheap preamp option.

Luck!
Oh how I wish I'd started out with Reaper!! What an awesome DAW. I love it.
The most bug free program I've ever used on a computer. amazing
As for mics, check out the cad m179. It is as good as the AT4050, and perhaps better in some ways.

DP
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Don't completely dismiss the idea of that big basement. A few well spaced gobos to calm down reflections, and it's likely the modal (bass) response will be far more accurate. Assuming of course it's a larger area.
Old 21st July 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the quick replys Guys,

Jack- Yes! I am Canadian, currently around 40 minutes outside of Toronto. L&M is one of the only sites I trust becaue of good Reviews.

I am not sure about my computer..if it's fast enough, but I can give you the specs because I got it From Tigerdirect: Buy the HP Pavilion p6627c BT457AA Desktop PC at TigerDirect.ca

That's the computer I have in my Room right now, Im not sure if it's really good for Audio.,,but it's a PC.

Babooino/Darth Pre - Thanks for the reccomendation to Reaper. I looked at the interface and it looks Cool, Love the layout and its Cheap! Not sure if protools is still the better choice now...Although it's a little too late for cad m179 because I only had a budget for 1 mic, the at 4033 cl is what I'm stuck with for now Lol, I know..i jumped the Gun.

John - I didn't know what a Gombo was until I searched in google Images, great Idea. Do you know where I could order them?
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

stop and think first

What is it that you really want to do.
Stop and think.
Stop buying at random hoping you can end up where you want to be.

You say you want intermediate then talk the cheapest behringer interface.

I am conflicted.

What is your budget?
What do you want to do?
Forget products.
Think function and end result.

Describe what you have generically. eg mike, preamp, etc.
Nobody knows every product and we are not going to research them all for this sort of question.

We can then fill in the holes , if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Allen View Post
I really need some Good Advice & Help with Planning a Home recording studio. This seems like one of the best forum on the Net for studio setup and gear , so I feel like you guys can Really Help me..

I`m trying to set up a Studio in my Room so I can record music, mix and Master. I know the acoustics in a Bedroom are far from ideal, but I don`t have much choice. It`s either up here, or down in my Hollow, echoing basement.

The first and only thing so far that I`ve ordered Online is the Mic. It`s an Audio technica 4033 CL, Link Here: Long & McQuade - Audio-Technica AT4033/CL - Studio Mic

I heard good reviews for it`s use in Hip hop, rap, rnb, soft rock, etc So I believe it will suit Me Well. Maybe I am wrong, Lol. But it`s sitting on my desk, so that ship has sailed..

I`m also Planning on ordering Two Krk Speakers, I`ve heard raging reviews and after hours of research am set on them: Long & McQuade - KRK RP-5 G2 Powered Monitor (Next paycheck:D)

Of course I`m getting a Mic stand, pop FIlter, and an XLR Cable for my Mic. But, here is where I am Lost...I am confused about what `Preamp`to get and what Soundcard...or sound interface. I THINK I`ll need both? From what I've researched, I was planning on purchasing This Behringer Mini Mixer with Preamp: Amazon.com: Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps and British EQs: Musical Instruments ..And a CHeap audio Interface to couple with it..: Amazon.com: Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out Usb Audio Interface with Digital Output And Massive Software Bundle: Musical Instruments . My primary use for my mic is to Record Vocals for Songs. But I would also possibly like the capability to hook up Instruments as well.

I Really don't know if what I showed you above is what I need. I don't want a Real Beginner set up I wanna start around the intermediate level If i can. But, I'm not sure if this will even Work. Or even how to hook the mixer up to the sound interface....Lol.

Is this an Ideal set up? And if not, is there an audio interface that has a preamp in it Like M-box (I think)..that you would Reccomend? I was looking into protools and Would not mind learning on it. Also, If I get headphones, where Am I going to plug them in? The mixer?

If anybody could be humble and help me out I'd really appreciate it, just trying to get this project Off the Ground.heh
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
John - I didn't know what a Gombo was until I searched in google Images, great Idea. Do you know where I could order them?
"gobo"

They are very easily made using materials from a Homedepot/Lowes...

Check out the acoustics forum on this very site for some great threads on the subject.

Depending on your necesity for cosmetics, you could spend anywhere from $30/a piece an up.

To purchase something so large and have it shipped... I'd guess you're easily over $200 a piece.
Old 21st July 2011
good thing about the CAD m179, is that it's almost a 1/3 of the price of the 4033 hehheh
So you could pick it up REAL cheap.
CAD Audio M179 Variable Pattern Condenser Microphone | eBay

No its not my company or auction

DP
Old 21st July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
What is it that you really want to do.
Stop and think.
Stop buying at random hoping you can end up where you want to be.

You say you want intermediate then talk the cheapest behringer interface.

I am conflicted.

What is your budget?
What do you want to do?
Forget products.
Think function and end result.

Describe what you have generically. eg mike, preamp, etc.
Nobody knows every product and we are not going to research them all for this sort of question.

We can then fill in the holes , if any.
I may have been vague but I will try to keep things cut and dry from now on, my mistake..

All i have right now In my possesion is the AT 4033 CL Microphone. I also have the Computer (PC) that i put above in my post directed to Jack. Those are all I own right now.

What I really want is to record vocals on this microphone. Hip hop, rnb, soft rock, things like that. I guess for right now I don't need the option to plug in instruments because I will only be recording. Maybe later on things will change.

My budget for a preamp is 100$-200$, And for a sound interface, Max 150$. Maybe $175. I dont even know if I need both. I'm not even sure how to Hook them to my computer. If all I need is a preamp..my budget for it is Max $350 then.

My end result will be Demo CD's for Labels and such. I want quality if possible. For recording interface, Reaper has been mentioned alot. I don't know about buying an Mbox just for Protools..ive heard low end Mbox isn't that great (Amazon reviews)

I also don't know if When i get my Monitors (krk) if I have to plug them into a Mixer? Or a preamp will include the Hook ups?

I hope I've been more clear..any info would be greatly apreciated
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

dealing with room acoustics on that list? i see none.
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Addict

Eric,

You might want to look on Amazon for a book on basic recording.

Nothing to in depth at this point, something like recording at home or how to make your own demo. It will show the basic building blocks of a digital audio workstation. I think a little study could answer a lot of questions for you.

Welcome to the recording club.
Old 21st July 2011
Here for the gear

I think you're right Jack. I could use a basic book for understanding all thise...after some more research I have a sidebar question for you guys though-

If i Get an AudioInterface, specifically, Amazon.com: Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Audio Interface Featuring Two Focusrite Pre-Amplifiers, Saffire 6 USB: Musical Instruments

The focusrite Sapphire, will I need to hook it up to something like the outboard soundcard i posted from Behringer, does the Sapphire come with a soundcard built in, or will my home computer sound card be good enough?
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Maniac

Eric-

Look at the pictures, it's a USB interface. It will go right into a USB port on your computer.

I second the recommendation of getting an introductory book on digital recording. Seems like that will help you a lot.

Also, if you're really looking to do a pro demo to launch your career (reading between the lines on your posts), don't discount going to a studio to record. The digital age of recording has opened it up to a lot of people, but you're not going to be (likely) getting submission quality recordings with your apparent level of experience and (again apparent) budget.

On the flip side, if you're doing a demo, I think making a cellphone/home video or something that is clearly not pro quality is better than doing a middling "real" recording. That's just my personal feeling, though, and it depends what kind of music you're making.

If you're going to spend for example 2K getting gear, figure out how many hours of local studio time that would get you, and see if that might not be a better option.

Also, I don't see that it's come up again since your first post, but I strongly recommend you do not try to master anything. It's hard enough (IME) to mix in a non-treated/setup space, much less master. Either don't master it (which is fine), or get it done by a professional.

If you would detail a little more what you're looking to do, we could make some recommendations. Are you recording demos for yourself or others? Are you looking to charge people for that work? What is your budget?

Good luck and again, welcome!
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I may have been vague but I will try to keep things cut and dry from now on, my mistake..

All i have right now In my possesion is the AT 4033 CL Microphone. I also have the Computer (PC) that i put above in my post directed to Jack. Those are all I own right now.

What I really want is to record vocals on this microphone. Hip hop, rnb, soft rock, things like that. I guess for right now I don't need the option to plug in instruments because I will only be recording. Maybe later on things will change.

My budget for a preamp is 100$-200$, And for a sound interface, Max 150$. Maybe $175. I dont even know if I need both. I'm not even sure how to Hook them to my computer. If all I need is a preamp..my budget for it is Max $350 then.

My end result will be Demo CD's for Labels and such. I want quality if possible. For recording interface, Reaper has been mentioned alot. I don't know about buying an Mbox just for Protools..ive heard low end Mbox isn't that great (Amazon reviews)

I also don't know if When i get my Monitors (krk) if I have to plug them into a Mixer? Or a preamp will include the Hook ups?

I hope I've been more clear..any info would be greatly apreciated
you need:
pc
interface with preamp and phantom power
mike
software

mike stand
cable

everythign else is optional

look at emu0404 or 25ex interface
check kellys computer and music (music and computer?)
for a comparison guide to interfaces

recent catalog had one too (sweetwater?0

recording review dot com has an interface wizard

you can get a decent i/f at that price
to do two mikes
two line ins
and
midi in

you may want to get a second mike
then record everything live in stereo
with a group maybe a third mike for vocalist/soloist to mix in the center channel of the stereo
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Nut

I agree, get a basic usb audio interface with a couple of mic pres in it. The Daw of your choice, (Reaper, Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Protools, Reason, etc.). Your monitors will hookup to the audio outputs of your interface. Figure out how to use that setup.

As you learn more you can upgrade the weakest link in that process. You may find that using just the DAW and interface with your mic is enough for your needs.

Different DAWs come with various combinations of virtual instruments and effects. I would get the system that works for your style of music and the way you like to work.

Do you have a MIDI keyboard or USB/Midi controller? That could be very important as well. Something like an M-Audio Axiom 49 works really well for inputing some basic virtual instrument parts.
Old 22nd July 2011
Here for the gear

Darhgo - My main purpose of this is to create my own music, I have some friends too who might want to Record as well but I've been writing for around 8 years so i want to take a step into the right direction,. I think Ive already found a good book for Learning but I'm a hands on Guy..I gotta have it infront of me to understand,

That being said, I want to learn how to make my own music. Even if i have to take the first step without knowing much at all. I want to record songs here in my Room(possibly basement) and learn the basics. Then, when I have a good few tracks that sound good on Demo recording i'd take it to a Metalworks studio in Missisauga or something Similar..Ive been planning it for a while.,

After buying the mic, I have around 1,600$ Left on my Budget., Two KRK speakers are 179$x2 sooo, I've got 1240$ for Preamp, Workstation desk, cables+hooksup, Pop filter, mic stand, And D.a.w., plus whatever else I need...maybe that studio foam stuff...Lol, I just want the quality to be deacent and Good,.

Analog - Thanks for putting it out like that, makes alotta sense, I spent half my time at work today researching and im getting alot better Idea. Been using the comparison Tool..so far really good reviews on Focusrite Products and I`m leaning towards their Pre.

Jade- Yes I`ve actually been Looking into a MIDI controller as well, as I`d like to make my own Beats and instrumentals shortly down the road after I get the Audio thing figured out. I was actually looking at that piano on Amazon and it looks like a STEAL Lol. Nothing comes close to it in reviews and rating, from what I know it`ll hook right into the back of the interface.
Old 22nd July 2011
I think the best deal going in a stand alone audio interface is the Focusrite Liquid Saffire. You get two channels of the liquid channel, which i supposed to be amazing, and very true to the preamps it is emulating, plus all of the other features of the Saffire range. If I was starting over I would use this, actually , if I had the money right now, I would probably buy it!!!

This was the best price I could find for one online. They will typically really take a lower offer on equipment.

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 saffire56 PROAUDIOSTAR | eBay

DP

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search