The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal mic suggestion for 'delicate' vocals
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Addict

Vocal mic suggestion for 'delicate' vocals

I'm looking for a new vocal mic:

For quiet, delicate male vocals.

£600 budget ($1000 ish?)

Bands like 'blind pilot' and 'seabear' would be good examples of this.
‪Seabear - I Sing I Swim‬‏ - YouTube
‪3 Rounds and a Sound - Blind Pilot‬‏ - YouTube

Everyone raves about sm7's on here, but i don't think a dynamic would suit this type of vocal?

Any help would be fantastic

Thanks,

Pete
Old 20th July 2011
Best thing you could probably do is book a room with a good mic collection and try a few out. It's really impossible to tell you what mic will work for what vocal on what song on the basis of a verbal description using subjective words. Gimme a shout if you are anywhere near the midlands.
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Head

The Bock 195 is epic triple winning.

I own it. I love it. I use it. I highly recommend it.

Examples: Hatless Bastard - used on songs 1,3,5,6
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Addict

[email protected],

I'm from north-east wales, so not too far away I guess. To my knowledge there are no decent studio suppliers in the area you can rent 'high-end' mics to try out. I only know of kmr audio in London, but I'm sure there are lots more? I think I'd rather try them out in my home project studio than book a studio for the day if possible, since this is where it'll be used.

P.s I did post some youtube videos of the kind of vocals I was describing, but no worries.

Robert Holm: Bit too expensive, but thanks for the suggestion!!! (It's £1000 in the UK and $1000 in the US, lol)

Thanks,

Pete
Old 20th July 2011
No worries. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdmyfinger View Post

P.s I did post some youtube videos of the kind of vocals I was describing, but no worries.
I didn't listen because, tbh, if it isnt the same voice you are recording it isn't really relevant to the question as different voices react differently to different mics.
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

RE20 all the way
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

414 works well on delicate vocals, among other things. Great mic.

Can be had for around £600 second hand. Not sure how the new XLS compares to the older versions.
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Maniac

If you can find a Soundelux u195, that would be the ticket I would say. Not sure if they are still made but were around £ 600-700 a few years ago when I checked one out. They sound alot more expensive!
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Maniac

Btw, I would also give a thumbs up to the 414 suggestion.. can be quite detailed, but not suited to every voice. I prefer them on females.

The RE20 as mentioned above is a classic but not sure if I would describe the sound as particularly detailed. Very characterful, though.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Thom York uses the RE20 a lot and his vocals sound decent, the vocals in that clip sound like they were recorded with some kinda 47 ish mic.
Old 21st July 2011
Here for the gear

Shure KSM32 is very neutral, accurate mic, with good sensitivity. I'd recommend you shortlist that.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

I can vouch for the Gefell M930,
I have the UM930 and in cardiod (which is the M930) you get a beautiful up close and intimate vocal sound - using proximity to your advantage

but I did just pickup my new Bock 195 today, can't wait to try it
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Cardan View Post
I can vouch for the Gefell M930,
I have the UM930 and in cardiod (which is the M930) you get a beautiful up close and intimate vocal sound - using proximity to your advantage

but I did just pickup my new Bock 195 today, can't wait to try it
For the "quiet, delicate" tone the OP is looking for I think the M930 may have the edge over the 195...only by a little though.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

see if you can find a used Gefell UM70 or M71.
the older ones with the transformer.

they can be had for between $900 - $1100 USD and are really great mics.
they are great for delicate vocals and just about anything for that matter!
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Addict

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately I didn't really take into account that mics are in general cheaper in the USA compared to the UK. My simple conversion from £600 to $1000 doesn't quite work, a lot of the mics suggested are more than I was expecting if i bought them in the UK (oops, my fault)!!! Also if I were to import I'd have to pay import duty too so it turns out quite similar (Maybe a little less, but with more risk).

I have read a lot of reviews about the mics suggested and they all seem to hit the nail on the head in terms of what I want from the performance of them, so thanks for that.

Although I could stretch my budget I don't think I could really justify the buying some of the suggested mics for my project studio. Only really the akg 414 & Shure KSM32 seem to be in my price range. Although lots of people seem to suggest the Gefell M930, maybe I should just wait for a used one to show up!!!

I think for now I will look for a used 414 as this is very popular mic. Hopefully this will give me 90% of what I want out of the mic, and be on the look out for a used Gefell M930 which I expect will be harder to find.

One of the big problems I have is finding a place to rent microphones in my area to try them all out. That's why I'm kinda happy to risk getting the 414 without trying it as I know it's so industry standard and I would find a use for one even if it doesn't suit the vocals.

Looking around on the internet, other mics I thought might be good would be be the Audio-Technica AT 4040 (£359) and Neumann TLM102 (£479). Does anyone have any experience with these mics for this type of vocal style or perhaps have some other suggestions below the £600 mark ($600 maybe ??? lol)

Thanks for the help,

Pete

P.s It looks like the 414 is winning atm (Although would it be the xls [£599] or xl II version[£785]?), I can easily rent a 414 to try out too :D
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur Man View Post
Shure KSM32 is very neutral, accurate mic, with good sensitivity. I'd recommend you shortlist that.
My vox could be described as delicate........hmmmm, maybe not.

Either way....I used KSM32 for a long while. Switched to a tube LDC. You can score a decent tube LDC on the cheap if you shop carefully.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Addict

Like a k2 perhaps? What did you buy as your tube LDC?

Pete
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

I find tube processing also adds to the perceived "delicateness" of a vocal.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Addict

I'm strongly considering the Universal Audio 4-710D so that might help a bit too then, maybe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search