The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Yamaha O1V and multitrack recording
Old 18th July 2011
Here for the gear

The Yamaha O1V and multitrack recording

Hey... as you can see this is my first post here..

But I need your help! I'm using ableton and the mbox2pro as my audio interface... The studio i work with has an O1V mixer... how can I multitrack recording using that equipment? I wanna be able to manipulate each individual track on Ableton, is there a way I can do that? I know the O1v is not an audio interface so its 16 channel inputs must be combined as a single stereo track before going into my mbox, which means I'd have to record each band member separately, then combine them, no?

Much obliged!!
Old 18th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by minks View Post
Hey... as you can see this is my first post here..

But I need your help! I'm using ableton and the mbox2pro as my audio interface... The studio i work with has an O1V mixer... how can I multitrack recording using that equipment? I wanna be able to manipulate each individual track on Ableton, is there a way I can do that? I know the O1v is not an audio interface so its 16 channel inputs must be combined as a single stereo track before going into my mbox, which means I'd have to record each band member separately, then combine them, no?

Much obliged!!
I'd avoid using the 01V except for monitoring.

Unless you can use it as an additional stereo preamp, thus giving you 4 inputs to Ableton...2 via the Mbox and 2 via the 01V (clock the Mbox to SPDIF, and output the 01V channels to it's spdif output...you may need to get the manual out, or ask someone who knows the desk to help you in person).

Using the 01V preamps, then converting back to analogue to go into the Mbox is a step down in quality. Even using the 01V preamps and going into the Mbox digitally isn't likely to be an improvement (though it might be worth doing some tests).
Old 18th July 2011
Here for the gear

cool thanks!

but then how do people multitrack record on protools or ableton? do they need to buy an audio interface with that many inputs or do people usually just use an external mixer/multitrack recorder to record stuff?
Old 18th July 2011
Quote:
cool thanks!

but then how do people multitrack record on protools or ableton? do they need to buy an audio interface with that many inputs or do people usually just use an external mixer/multitrack recorder to record stuff?
Exactly.

The Mbox is an interface designed mainly for home use - it can only record 2 channels simultaneously (or 4 if you've got the pro version) - most people at home won't want to record more than that at any one time, and therefore don't want to pay for channels they're not going to need.

There are other Avid interfaces that have more channels - the 003 has 8 out of the box, and is expandable to 18 ins and outs.

Professional level studios doing large scale tracking generally have a minimum of 24inputs, often much more.

Some people do submix as they're recording (personally I'll do this if I've got multiple mics on a guitar cab, for example) but generally individual mics are recorded separately.
Old 18th July 2011
Here for the gear

I see... so do most large scale professional studios record onto protools or do they just have an external multi-track recorder they use?
Old 18th July 2011
Quote:
I see... so do most large scale professional studios record onto protools or do they just have an external multi-track recorder they use?
Most offer PT...some offer alternatives, such as other DAWs, 2", RADAR, etc.
Old 18th July 2011
Here for the gear

So they need to have an audio interface directly connected to the source of audio in order to do that or can they do it through a mixer than has an out source for each individual channel ? or does the mixer act as an audio interface?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search