The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing with a mackie 24 4
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Summing with a mackie 24 4

im working in a apogee daw in nuendo. As of now my 8 in and outs are going in and out of my different compressors and effects for easy routing. IM considering getting a patchbay so i can use my in and outs to rout out to my mackie and back in. IM wondering if that would even be worth the time. Im ultimately looking for seperation of my vocal from the mix. Doing something as simple as routing the music to a stereo pair and my vocals to another pair. I sure it degrades the quality some but isnt that what i do with my analog simulation plugs,

Bryan

thanks
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Don't do it. The Mackie ain't gonna help. For the following reaons:

1. It's a Mackie. I don't hate them like many people here. I think they're quite useful for the money in some situations. That being said.....they definitely will not ADD anything that is typically considered to be euphonic to the sound.

2. Nuendo's summing buss isn't bad. I've heard some dynamite mixes come off of that platform.

3. If you're looking to separate a vocal from a mix, there are far more effective technques than simply analog summing. Take a close look at how the EQ and compression are making the vocal sit. Also, really dig in to the FX processing of the voice (verbs, delays, etc.). This to me is what really defines the "space" for the vocal to live in along with the EQ/compression factors. Also, the recording of the voice is critical to this as well. Certain mics and pres (and combinations thereof) can yield amazing results in this area unto themselves. Don't ask me exactly how....it's probably got to do with phase shift, mic proximity, etc. There's volumes of info on this. The Thrillfactor's posts on this are excellent starting points.......do a search

I'm a fan of analog summing too but if you're solely relying on it to create a "space" for your vocal, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Especially with a Mackie.
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlc201
Don't do it. The Mackie ain't gonna help. For the following reaons:

1. It's a Mackie. I don't hate them like many people here. I think they're quite useful for the money in some situations. That being said.....they definitely will not ADD anything that is typically considered to be euphonic to the sound.

2. Nuendo's summing buss isn't bad. I've heard some dynamite mixes come off of that platform.

3. If you're looking to separate a vocal from a mix, there are far more effective technques than simply analog summing. Take a close look at how the EQ and compression are making the vocal sit. Also, really dig in to the FX processing of the voice (verbs, delays, etc.). This to me is what really defines the "space" for the vocal to live in along with the EQ/compression factors. Also, the recording of the voice is critical to this as well. Certain mics and pres (and combinations thereof) can yield amazing results in this area unto themselves. Don't ask me exactly how....it's probably got to do with phase shift, mic proximity, etc. There's volumes of info on this. The Thrillfactor's posts on this are excellent starting points.......do a search

I'm a fan of analog summing too but if you're solely relying on it to create a "space" for your vocal, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Especially with a Mackie.
i understand all the things u were telling me about .......i was just trying to further create space and seperation beyond what i can do with effects.

thank you for your input

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search