The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I sold my 414 xlii
Old 16th July 2011
Lives for gear

I sold my 414 xlii

I bought a 414 XLII in 2005, and sold it a few months ago. Here's why:

- the low-end was muffled. I compared it on floor tom against a Beyer MC930 and a CAD E100S. The other two went all the way down. That surprised me because I thought the 414 was supposed to be a good tom mic.

- the high-end could be strident at times. On some sources I could EQ it to taste, but on others I just couldn't. Stringed instruments? Forget it!

I will say that, as a vocal mic, it did really well on two female singers. But, I haven't tracked female vox in a while.

Anyway my aesthetic has changed dramatically in the past few years, and the 414 XLII just isn't part of it anymore. I still need to get a multi-pattern to replace it.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

- Jim
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Guru

If you're looking mostly at toms to judge a multi-pattern LDC, it's hard to do better than a CAD M179 IMO..... I give em 3 thumbs up.
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

- the low-end was muffled. I compared it on floor tom against a Beyer MC930 and a CAD E100S. The other two went all the way down. That surprised me because I thought the 414 was supposed to be a good tom mic.

- the high-end could be strident at times. On some sources I could EQ it to taste, but on others I just couldn't. Stringed instruments? Forget it!

I will say that, as a vocal mic, it did really well on two female singers. But, I haven't tracked female vox in a while.

Anyway my aesthetic has changed dramatically in the past few years, and the 414 XLII just isn't part of it anymore. I still need to get a multi-pattern to replace it.

- Jim

I believe they market the 414 XLS for general instrument usage and percussion. The XLii is targeted more at vocals.
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

- Jim
I used a 414 TLII (the old 414 with a "gold" sided grill) NOT XLII, last week on a Yamaha C3 for a latin jazz trio gig in an old italian villa.. I was shocked how good they were on that source.. They really sounded very good.. everything I needed was there, everything I didn't want wasn't there
and with very little eq, it was perfect.

I used these mics (not really the same mics, but same model) in another jazz concert few years ago (always on a grand piano) and I wasn't very impressed..

But after hearing those... I'm thinking to get a pair and try them out against my Violet Amethyst Vintage pair in a more accurate place (with more time for experimenting)..

just my recent experience,

Ciao

Cheu
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear

I think I might try the CAD M179. How is it for things other than toms?

I need it, mostly, for the side in M/S.

Thanks.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

I forgot to mention that I also compared the 414 with the others on a snare drum with the snares released (turned-off). Again, the sound was muffled with the 414, while the other two were clear as a bell.

Perhaps, it was the response of the high-freqs on the 414 that were giving it a muffled sound (relatively)?

Regardless, I bought another E100s and another M88 with the money from the sale of the 414, and haven't looked back.

- Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search