The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Guitars w/ Isolation Boxes like AxeTrak
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Addict

Recording Guitars w/ Isolation Boxes like AxeTrak

has anybody tried/owned this little thing called AxeTrak?

all the reviews on their website are glowing, but i'm interested to hear
from everyone here.

have you tried it & do you recommend it ?
Old 14th March 2006
Here for the gear

I had a short honeymoon with this thing. In retrospect it's because i had such abysmal luck with the various modellers and emulations out there and was coaxed by the promise of real amp tones at listenable levels. It isn't terrible or unuseable by any means and it (like almost everything) has its charm and purpose. Hell, my name may even be on that website somewhere cause i wrote the guy a gushing email after using it for a day or so. What I grew to find frustrating was its lack of headroom. As soon as I'd dial in a useable sound i'd discover I was clipping the Axetrak. Also, as you might imagine, I felt hampered by the lack of control with respect to micing and placement.

Hope springs eternal as always. I thought naively this thing would be the surrogate I was looking for, but it wasn't. For ME there is no surrogate for an amp.

What are your expectations?
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnew
I felt hampered by the lack of control with respect to micing and placement.
I think the sounds on the website are quite allright, but I was also thinking it's a bit limited. The only thing you can do is to swap amps. (hmm, I've got 3 heh)

But... how much flexibility in good tones can you expect from such a little box with mic placement if you could adjust the position?

Pity you can't change the mic. I wonder how the internals look of this box.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Addict

Guitars & the Gearslutz who love them

i have a 3ch. 100 watt dual rectifier...

i am currently in a house, and i was looking for a way to record REAL sounding hi-gain guitars without the cops coming to my house and raiding my place.

i have a Line6 POD XTLive and GuitarRig 2 and while they both have unique features and sounds, i'd like to record my MESA because i love the way it feels & sounds.

the clean amps/modeling in the POD and GR2 are nice, and quite convincing... and some of the distorted amp settings can be tweaked to sound alright.

i was thinking that i could/would combine both the Axe Trak tones with tones from
Guitar Rig 2 and the POD to make big tones with a lot of presence.

i can't record a high gain halfstack like the DUALREC at 10, though i'd like to.

recording clean is another story, as everybody seems to enjoy hearing some clean guitar playing, even neighbors and policia. also, when recording clean, cranking the amp to 10 isn't necessary, so the volume isn't a problem.

i'm not expecting a miracle, just something BETTER than POD XT/GR2 high-gain modeling.

i know the mic is not moveable or interchangable... but i figured using the PODxtlive as a front end to the mesa, or even a cheap solid-state clean amp through the Axe Trak would allow for a lot of tonal possibilities, the primary focus just being on recording an actual speaker pushing air.

thanks guys!

.2012music.
Old 15th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Power scale works and is the first thing I have found worth a sh!t.

http://www.reevesamps.com/amp_custom_18.htm

It's not a attenuator it lets you get the power tube cookin and then kicks down the output scale.Most of the action I look for is in the power tube not preamp,preamp =buzz power tube is cream.

There is a company called London Power that sells kits.

You will have to play with different speakers to find which ones move and grove at lower output,but this is the best way to skin the cat.

Check it out..........

BT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search