The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
took some new pics of the studio
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

took some new pics of the studio

Love to hear what you slutz think of these new pics. I'm not the best with a camera, but I think these turned out OK

BTW, I know this is dumb stuff, but how do I post the picture in the message instead of as links?
Attached Thumbnails
took some new pics of the studio-cr-color.jpg   took some new pics of the studio-tr-e.jpg   took some new pics of the studio-tr-stage-b.jpg   took some new pics of the studio-control-room-turn-ons.jpg  
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for Jesus

Nice dude !

I love the 2"

and the red lights

steve

Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

looks great man. How do you like that Dual Vocal Combo? I have had that thing on my wish list for a long time.

nice vibey place...and you got tape!
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

thanks man. I do love that 2".......it really helps my lowly A/D converters. Can't wait to finally make that upgrade
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for Jesus

just use the Tape ...... !!!! heh

Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you like that Dual Vocal Combo? I have had that thing on my wish list for a long time.

Get it! That's the one piece of gear that I bought brand new. Had about $1,600 to spend on something nice, and haven't looked back. It's also my only real decent compressor of any kind, so alot of stuff goes through it even if I'm not using the preamps, and it always does the trick......I'de be lieing if I said I didn't want a distressor or MC77, but it does what it's suppose to do, in a pleasing way.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
just use the Tape ...... !!!!

probably 40% of what I do never sees a single A/D conversion, unless I'm doing my jerry rigged mastering.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for Jesus

Are those lights in the control room in front of the desk ?

It looks like they would be shining right in your eyes ?

Maybe its just the pic.

steve

Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

The track lighting is above the mixing board, and they can swivel around. There's 3, so it's usually one pointed at the 2", one at the board, and one at the patchbay. So it works out pretty good, although the shadows can be a pain.

the red rope lights are on the other side of the double window, and there's a decent amount of space between the panes of glass. The way the window box was built was a little funky and both panes are "smoked glass", so there's lots of reflections going on

keep in mind, this studio is 100% diy, no studio designer was hired, and there sure as hell wasn't any hired labor. I'm sure there could have been ways to "do it better", but we didn't have the luxery of taking too much time.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx
Love to hear what you slutz think of these new pics. I'm not the best with a camera, but I think these turned out OK

BTW, I know this is dumb stuff, but how do I post the picture in the message instead of as links?

what 2" machine is that?
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
what 2" machine is that?
Otari MTR90 mkII

It's an older one..."B" lot.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
The track lighting is above the mixing board, and they can swivel around. There's 3, so it's usually one pointed at the 2", one at the board, and one at the patchbay. So it works out pretty good, although the shadows can be a pain.

the red rope lights are on the other side of the double window, and there's a decent amount of space between the panes of glass. The way the window box was built was a little funky and both panes are "smoked glass", so there's lots of reflections going on

keep in mind, this studio is 100% diy, no studio designer was hired, and there sure as hell wasn't any hired labor. I'm sure there could have been ways to "do it better", but we didn't have the luxery of taking too much time.
I think you did a great job !

Its so hard to do this construction thing and have a life or even live like normal.......

how long have you been open ?

and how long was the construction project

steve

Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

I'm a little bit concerned about your speaker placement, I don't know if it's the angle of the shots, but they seem to be too high. As if they would be firing over your head.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc
I'm a little bit concerned about your speaker placement, I don't know if it's the angle of the shots, but they seem to be too high. As if they would be firing over your head.
That´s what I thought. Maybe place them horizontaly ?

Apart from that you have a really nice studio. I wish I had a recording room like you do.

Good stuff !

Bill
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

I don't see many chairs - maybe they're just the right height if you mix standing up
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc
I saw the same thing (and the bud bottle ) but did not see a chair, so I figured he is standing up all the time?

Glenn
Old 14th March 2006
If you post one pic per post - it shows up in the post..
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

how do you go with the MTR in the room with you?, they can be quite noisy with their 2 fans, have you done anything to quieten it down?
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Guru

Nice job..thumbsup
what is that mixer in the CR pic to the right?
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you did a great job !

Its so hard to do this construction thing and have a life or even live like normal.......

how long have you been open ?

and how long was the construction project
Thankyou, luckaliy I have a pretty rad wife. Been open at this spot for about 2 years now. The construction was about 4 months. My former studio partner was really the one that knew how to build stuff, but it was 90% just the 2 of us, with a little help here and there from various friends, and my dad was kind enough to do a CAD drawing of our design.

Quote:
I'm a little bit concerned about your speaker placement, I don't know if it's the angle of the shots, but they seem to be too high. As if they would be firing over your head
Yeah, they're a bit high. I guess I really should just turn them on their side. Right now when sitting in the "mix chair" the woofers are at ear level, which puts the tweeters a bit high. I'de also like to get the monitors a little closer together, basically I want to get them right where the computer monitors are.....I'de also like to get some new monitors. Now that I have a pretty decent front end, I can really hear the need to ditch the (gasp) behringers

Quote:
If you post one pic per post - it shows up in the post..
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
what is that mixer in the CR pic to the right?
It's a Quad Eight sidecar. MM61 modules

14 channels, direct outs, 4 busses and quad panning.
Old 14th March 2006

have you used some software to combine multiple photos into one panoramic one? if so, what is it?

narco
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
how do you go with the MTR in the room with you?, they can be quite noisy with their 2 fans, have you done anything to quieten it down?
In all honesty, the G5 is noisier. And no, haven't done anything about the noise......like a good friend of mine once told me when I was frustrated on getting the buzz/hum out of a guitar amp he told me.....hey that just means it's on
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
have you used some software to combine multiple photos into one panoramic one? if so, what is it?

I just discovered it today. I've had all along and never used it

The digital camera my wife got about 2 years ago (cannon...not sure which model), has a setting for taking panoramic shots, and came with a piece of software called "photo-stitch" which than puts them all together. It's actually really cool, and does alot of the work for you.

I can't believe no ones made mention of the ashtray in the last pic.
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Bump. Just wanted to see what you daytime slutz think of the new studio pics.
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Looks cool. Nice and Vibey!

ERic
Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

budweiser?????!!!

sheesh, in a nice place like that? your slummin.

you need some good beer if you want to get any respect.

maybe some sam adams boston laagaahh.

now that would really dress up your place!!!

Old 15th March 2006
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
I can't believe no ones made mention of the ashtray in the last pic.
Yea i thought you should have at least 2 or 3 .................

You dont want people putting them out on the floor.....

steve

Old 15th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
budweiser?????!!!

sheesh, in a nice place like that? your slummin.
First off, thanks for the compliment. To hear a fellow gearslut call it nice is pretty darn cool. I only charge $25/hour, and by no means consider myself one of the "big boys" in town. BTW, the weiser wasn't mine, can't stand the stuff. In fact, in the studio I'm all coffee and although this grindcore band was in here a bit ago and they brought a keg of some pretty nice darker stuff, and I couldn't help but indulge a bit.

Quote:
Yea i thought you should have at least 2 or 3 .................
There is 3, one in each room....control room, tracking room, lounge.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search