The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ebay scam - how can I bust this guy?
Old 19th August 2003
  #1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
ebay scam - how can I bust this guy?

After 'winning' an auction on ebay, I paid for a custom made guitar cab almost 2 months ago. The seller's ad said the cab would ship a week after payment was received. After two weeks, I called him at a number that turned out to be his work phone number. To make a long story short, he said the cab would ship the week after next because he had several orders to fill. Well, that week after next has passed and so have 3 more since then. I should mention that he never once contacted me by email or phone to tell me what was going on.

Before I make my next move, I want to get some advice on what I should do. He's up in Oregon, I'm in California. Finding out his work address shouldn't be too hard, and then driving up there for a surprise meeting isn't out of the question. I don't know if the local police would help, but does anyone know if the police ever enforce the law in such cases? Maybe I can get them to bust his ass.

Anyway, what else can I do? I paid by paypal, and neither they nor ebay will do jack **** about this.

I want to get this guy busted and have him picking up soap in an Oregon jail for month!!!

If I kick his ass, that'll only get me in trouble!
Old 19th August 2003
  #2
Lives for gear
 
heinz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I assume you've left negative eBay feedback and filed a NSS report...

You can get his address and home phone # via ebay (assuming it's not bogus), and then contact the local police dept where he lives to see if a detective can help you. Be prepared to fax them all relevant documentation immediately. I did this in one instance, the detective paid the guy a visit, and suddenly I got my money back. Worth a shot, but also know that in some precincts they don't give a ****...

Good luck man! The in-person meeting might help too, but they can be unpredictable. stike
Old 20th August 2003
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Screws's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
3 friends
ski masks
baseball bats

Sicillian justice
Old 20th August 2003
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Tim L's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Screws
3 friends
ski masks
baseball bats

Sicillian justice
.... That's 2 mouths too many...
Old 20th August 2003
  #5
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
.... That's 2 mouths too many...
Or two extra mouthful's off asswhompin'.
Old 20th August 2003
  #6
Mindreader
 
BevvyB's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
'I will always love you'

Sung by Celine Dion
Old 20th August 2003
  #7
Lives for gear
 
cashewcupcake's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Ok seriously, a few questions-


1. How did you pay for it?
2. How did you send payment? USPS/Fedex/Online?
3. Have you tried calling him at work recently? What's his story?


You've got a few options, I'll suggest them after I get your responses.
Old 21st August 2003
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Ok seriously, a few questions-


1. How did you pay for it?
2. How did you send payment? USPS/Fedex/Online?
3. Have you tried calling him at work recently? What's his story?


You've got a few options, I'll suggest them after I get your responses.
1. paypal
2. online
3. called him two days ago and was told some story about how the coating hadn't been applied yet and the company that he sub'd it from BLAH BLAH BLAH...

I'm supposed to have a tracking number today but it's already 2:30 and nada. He mentioned in the first phone call that he was going on tour with band soon. If he does that, it'll be 3 months before I can really do anything about this.


PS - I'll make sure to act like a jackass the next time you jackasses need help (not you, fae).
Old 21st August 2003
  #9
Lives for gear
 
flexoffset's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
ebay police ... how effective?

i have filed a few complaints during my tenure on ebay.

One guy who reallllly shafted me is STILL ON THERE and he's got several negatives.

Where does ebay draw the line on stuff like this?

How can you follow up to be sure the bastards that do this sort of scamming get what they've got coming to them?

I got the guys home number and address in kentucky and I just figured he'd been killed in an accident or something (that stuff CAN happen, you know), then just the other day I saw the bastard had done some business on ebay under the same name!!!!!!!

I'm back on the case!!!!
Old 21st August 2003
  #10
Gear Nut
 
ROBB007's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the tip Jax

I would expecially like to thank Jax for the buyer beware info,I myself will think twice about a investment in any Ebay productI hope this all unfolds in your favour Jax !

Rob Begg
Marpole studio
Vancouver bc
Old 21st August 2003
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Tim L's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
PS - I'll make sure to act like a jackass the next time you jackasses need help (not you, fae).
Easy there sweet cheeks, your panty's are showing... fuuck
Old 21st August 2003
  #12
Lives for gear
 
cashewcupcake's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
1. paypal
2. online
3. called him two days ago and was told some story about how the coating hadn't been applied yet and the company that he sub'd it from BLAH BLAH BLAH...

I'm supposed to have a tracking number today but it's already 2:30 and nada. He mentioned in the first phone call that he was going on tour with band soon. If he does that, it'll be 3 months before I can really do anything about this.
More questions:

1. What did you use for paypal? Credit card? Bank transfer?
2. Have you initiated a paypal complaint? If you do, and he doesn't give up the stuff they can freeze his bank account.


Recommendations:

1. Call up guy again. Tell him if you don't have your product by the end of next week, you will file a complaint in civil court in the county he lives in. Be amicable but firm. Tell him that you have consulted your lawyer on this and that this was his recommended course of action. Make sure he understands that in addition to having to refund you the amount he owes you, he will have to pay court costs and attorney fees.

2. Tell him that you will press charges with his local police for theft as well.

3. Have him understand that you do not want to do this, but you feel like your money has been stolen from you and you will do whatever it takes to get it back if he does not ship the product.

If you want I can pretend to be your "lawyer"and give him a call and tell him this stuff myself. I could also dig up some standard "you owe me" letters that sound like they were written by a lawyer.

Personally, I'm all for vigilante action, but generally that won't help you recoup your bucks will it? You already know that though.
Old 21st August 2003
  #13
Lives for gear
 
cashewcupcake's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Also about Paypal, if you are persistent, it's more likely they'll help.

If you paid with a credit card, some credit cards have a 30 or 90 day insurance policy- if the stuff is stolen or broken you get it replaced for free.

Last ditch option for you would be to add it to your studio insurance policy (you DO have insurance don't you?) and then file a claim one month later. You pay your premium year after year for coverage so you may as well use it. Unless you're talking about a 1-300 cabinent.

How much was this anyways?
Old 21st August 2003
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
More questions:

1. What did you use for paypal? Credit card? Bank transfer?
2. Have you initiated a paypal complaint? If you do, and he doesn't give up the stuff they can freeze his bank account.


Recommendations:

1. Call up guy again. Tell him if you don't have your product by the end of next week, you will file a complaint in civil court in the county he lives in. Be amicable but firm. Tell him that you have consulted your lawyer on this and that this was his recommended course of action. Make sure he understands that in addition to having to refund you the amount he owes you, he will have to pay court costs and attorney fees.

2. Tell him that you will press charges with his local police for theft as well.

3. Have him understand that you do not want to do this, but you feel like your money has been stolen from you and you will do whatever it takes to get it back if he does not ship the product.

If you want I can pretend to be your "lawyer"and give him a call and tell him this stuff myself. I could also dig up some standard "you owe me" letters that sound like they were written by a lawyer.

Personally, I'm all for vigilante action, but generally that won't help you recoup your bucks will it? You already know that though.
1. bank transfer from debit card
2. I haven't issued a complaint with paypal. Mainly because I keep hearing from everyone that they never do anything about it. Your mention of the bank freezing bank account is the first I've heard. Sounds great!

If by the end of the evening, I still have no tracking #, I'll call him tomorrow and begin the course of action you've outlined above. All seem like very good ideas and I might take you up on assuming the lawyer role.


And Tim, guess what? When I started this thread I was already angry. Hard for you to imagine, huh? If you want to be belligerent, take it to the moan zone. I didn't ask for bull**** comments from the peanut gallery.
Old 21st August 2003
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
How much was this anyways?
Not a lot, $224 including "shipping." But that's not the point. Unless they're destitute in the street, I'm not giving my cash to someone for nothing... no way.

Fwiw, it's speakerless and I was planning to load it with Webers.
Old 22nd August 2003
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Steve Smith's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hope this works out JAX..

one other thing that is a nice potential safety net is to use an AMEX card when using paypal. they are complete ****S about getting your moneies back in this sort of situation. as a side note, they ( AMEX) also give you great insurance for loss or damage when flying for your luggage, I had a photog friend get 15, 000 worth of gear get replaced within 6hours of it getting trashed by an airline... didnt even miss the shoot!
Old 22nd August 2003
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Tim L's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
And Tim, guess what? When I started this thread I was already angry. Hard for you to imagine, huh? If you want to be belligerent, take it to the moan zone. I didn't ask for bull**** comments from the peanut gallery.
And calling people "jackasses" isn't belligerent? WTFDYGO... hello? ... and as for "the moan zone" (since you brought it up), that's exactly where this should have been posted in the first place. FWIW, I really hope this works out in your favor, honestly, I don't like to see anyone get screwed ... but before you go insulting people for what amounts to (at best) a ridiculous reason, perhaps you should take a good look at the JAXass in the mirror..... Good luck with your dilema... PLUNK!
Old 22nd August 2003
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Screws's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Sorry for being flip, Jax. It was a clumsy attempt at putting a smile on your face during a time when there probably didn't seem to be much to smile about.

I certainly wasn't trying to make light of you or your situation.
Old 22nd August 2003
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
FWIW, I really hope this works out in your favor, honestly, I don't like to see anyone get screwed ... PLUNK!
Thanks Tim. Ya know, that's all you had to say.

And Steve, AMEX sounds like the way to go in the future. Great tip!
Old 23rd August 2003
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Tim L's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Thanks Tim. Ya know, that's all you had to say.
You're right of course...
Old 10th September 2003
  #21
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
LO and Behold!

The ****ing idiot finally sent the cab!

Not only that, but it looks like a nice one. He ****ed up on the color, which should have been dark green and is sort of a light, lime green (pretty damned fugly actually, but in a cool way). And the input jack is bent - probably from shipping - but it should have been covered or placed inside the cab (duh).

Thanks for your help, faeflora and others. Nothing happened until I threatened legal action and gave him a date to comply.

Warning: DON'T BUY FROM (ebay tag) enigomentoya (aka Jason Johnson of DB cabs, Eugene OR)
unless you're prepared to put up with a lot of bull****! His feedback has grown steadily worse, even while I waited for the cab.
Old 10th September 2003
  #22
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Glad to hear it worked out for you Jax!

Like I said in another post, I'm avoiding ebay unless it's local, or someone I've dealt with in the past. I had a couple close calls recently.
Old 10th September 2003
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Thanx, cue. Yeah, me too - I'm not doing ebay except under the circumstances again, ever.

Right before the cab I bought a gtr amp that was supposed to be perfect and needed fixin'. Grr...
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 0 views: 608
Avatar for Ged
Ged 11th July 2012
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump