The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is Gearslutz imitating life, or is life imitating Gearslutz?
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

Is Gearslutz imitating life, or is life imitating Gearslutz?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a strange resemblance in some of the articles in the past latest issues of MIX and Electronic Musician magazine and this forum? It seems to me like some of the articles are taken straight from Gearslutz. I'm not just talking about the topics. I'm talking about the writing style and terminology (not technical terminology either.) Are there any writers/editors for these magazines that frequent this forum? Come on, don't be shy!
Old 13th March 2006
pro
Gear Addict

Forums like these are an all you can eat Smorgashboard for marketeers.

No question, the slutz are driving!

The question is, Who are the slutz?
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if various manufacturers and dealers have multiple aliases on this forum and post to their advantage anonymously.

Which would be a shame. But I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Not unlike reality TV this is like reality editorials.

I love MIX mag, sound on sound, blah blah blah
but lets face it. If those editors spoke the truth about
gear theyd be out of buisness. They rarely bad mouth anything

This site and some others rock hard because it's opinion in its truest form
Its our opinions right or wrong. And it's up to the individuals reading the opinions to sort it all out and make up their on mind.

I fu*kin love it
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I wouldn't be surprised
ok. you can start being "not surprised" . but i better shut up
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi
ok. you can start being "not surprised" . but i better shut up
Yeah, so what did that mean?
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Nut

Gearslutz is a great place for a lazy journalist to find cheap and easy editorial - especially if that publish deadline is looming and he/she can't be bothered or doesn't have the time or money to do the gear tests themselves.

Also, it's a great way to keep up with what new gear has been released around the world and what people think of it - to confirm opinions if nothing else. Sometimes that little copy and paste saves sooooo much time and effort and who's gonna know.....

Gosh I'm cynical !
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Addict

Face it, the best cross section of thier market is sitting right here, yapping it up. If you're a trade writer, a marketing person, a manufacturer, in anyway associated with making money from retail sales directly or indirectly in the Pro and Prosumer audio world, you'd be downright remiss to not be regularly taking the temperature of the market. It would be stooopid not to. It's not lazy, it's heads up. Never before has there been such an easy way to tap into the collective consciousness of any group that has a message board or a chat room provides. Ain't nothing wrong with it. In fact, if they didn't they might just slip out of touch with the grass roots.

As to which one drives the other? The answer, with all things like this, is yes. Or rather, they both push each other. You can't observe without altering what you observe. You cannot observe without altering the observer.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

I cancelled my subscription to Mix after I signed onto this forum. The only reason I read it was for new product announcements, and, well, we've got that here (and it's much better!) I still get it for some reason, tho...
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

With a little detective work it wouldn't be hard to find out who the marketing posters are. Often I see a new product being released, lets say it performs function X. Next thing, you see newbie posts on various forums saying "What the best way to perform function x". Everyone does a quick google, and presto - a new product is flavour of the month.

I don't really care - I want to know about stuff. What I really don't like is when a marketer trys to be honest, and spams a forum. Inevitably, somebody will take offence, and then everything gets personal and the marketer looks bad.

I think it's much more civilised to have anonymous sharing of ideas - even if you know that it's probably spam.
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERNIGHT
Never before has there been such an easy way to tap into the collective consciousness of any group that has a message board or a chat room provides. Ain't nothing wrong with it. In fact, if they didn't they might just slip out of touch with the grass roots.
And then there are certain companies -- we know who they are -- who sponsor their own forums that are full of great ideas and suggestions from enthusiastic actual users. A never ending 24/7 marketing-research goldmine, essentially for free.

And these certain companies never seem to do anything with this wealth of information.

Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear
I come here for the cult of personality which can be a fun diversion. However, there's a downside such as that awful Sweetwater banner featuring Mitch Gallagher or how Gear Slutz is imitated in the forums at other sites.

My fave site for quality editorial content in the forums is Lynn Fuston's site.
Old 15th March 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERNIGHT
... It's not lazy, it's heads up. Never before has there been such an easy way to tap into the collective consciousness of any group that has a message board or a chat room provides. Ain't nothing wrong with it. In fact, if they didn't they might just slip out of touch with the grass roots.
Yes I was being cynical and patently unfair. I agree and think there will always be a place for good mag reviews because they present different information that is not often presented on the manufacturers websites or on forums like this.

Manufacturers often just present a sales pitch on a brochure - nice picture, good tag line, but rarely a comprehensive list of a device's minute capabilities. Forums like this excel on opinions and the reasons for those opinions, based on real life experiences in the field, but knowledge of the working context of a particular device is assumed knowledge.

Yet I will continue to read Sound on Sound every now and then - even on products that have been mercilessly dissected here because they will systematically list what the thing actually does with pictures of it's front, side, top and back panels if relevant. It's worthwhile information if you've never seen the device or cannot easily get a hold of it. Not many post that sort of detail here unless specifically asked to.

Given all that, the internet is a wonderful thing and is the best place to start research on almost anything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search