The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Firewire interfaces and stand alone operation
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Firewire interfaces and stand alone operation

Hi all,
So I'll be upgrading my interface and would like to analyze some things. I've got my choices narrowed down to three of the Motu products (828, Traveler, and the new little one) and the RME Fireface.

The "stand alone" operation is a nice option for me. I like the idea of using the unit as a mic pre and/ or converter in conjunction with another system. Obviously there are better options for preamps and converters but if you're in a pinch, any of these boxes should be fine.

How does this operation work exactly? Being stand alone, there is no computer or software mixer to route the signal flow. Are certain inputs autmatically assigned to certain outputs? Or is there a physical assignment on each of the boxes; a knob or button for example? If I had a Motu traveler and wanted to use the mic pres and the converters via spdif for the output, how would this work?

And finally, off the subject of stand alone operation, the Motu traveler is capable of recording at 24/192 but it's digital options (adat, spdif, etc) are only 96k. Does this mean that I can only use external converters at 96k?

Thanks. I know that's a lot.

Brandon
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

The RME FIREFACE 800 can have it's settings flashed to onboard memory. Setup a mixer/in-out configuration to your likings in TotalMix (included in/out setup app) when connected to host DAW and press "flash" or "store" unit or something similar in TotalMix. This will save the prefered unit settings. Unplug the FIREFACE and use as stand alone.

/D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search