The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Robert Plant/ Zepp
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Robert Plant/ Zepp

The live footage of Plant using two mics taped together - Anyone know why?
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear
I've seen this done where one is for the house and the other is for recording.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

yes

I agree Ozraves, but i have an theory about a kind of "stereo" or efx live PA experimentation !
Old 12th March 2006
One mic makes you grow smaller......heh

Oh, and I believe he used to control the average rainfall in the Amazon basin with the other one.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

I asked my da about this kind of thing and he said it was they could not split feeds so basically one mic went to one bit of PA and the other went over the other side!!!

The recording theory is probably applicable too for certain gigs.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
One mic makes you grow smaller......heh

Oh, and I believe he used to control the average rainfall in the Amazon basin with the other one.
i also heard that it can make you go blind.

BTW- yes, it was definately for recording. The mic for recording is not always the monitor engineers first choice for feedback rejection purposes. If I remember correctly (i haven't watched that in a long time) one of them was a SM81.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

You guys are way off. And way to young to remember this stuff.

Using two mics taped together was not for recording, it's an old live trick that's used in place of a noise gate. The mics are out of phase and it cancels out all of the stage noise when the singer isn't singing. (And thus the feedback). The singer actually only sings into the top mic. I believe that a Grateful Dead live engineer started this trick.
Old 14th March 2006
More cowbell!

yer referring to the "Wall of Sound" mics

http://www.answers.com/topic/grateful-dead

Quote:
Wall of Sound
The Wall of Sound was an enormous sound system designed specifically for the Grateful Dead. The band were never satisfied with the house system anywhere they played, so in their early days, soundman Owsley "Bear" Stanley designed a PA and monitor system for them. Stanley's sound systems were delicate and finicky, and frequently brought shows to a halt with technical issues. After Stanley was placed in jail for LSD production in 1970, the group briefly used house PAs, but ultimately found them to be less reliable than the systems conceived by their former soundman. In 1971, the band purchased their first solid sound system from Alembic Inc Studios. Because of this, Alembic would play an integral role in the research, development, and production of the Wall of Sound. The band also welcomed Dan Healy into the fold on a permanent basis that year; Healy was a more superior engineer than Stanley and would mix the Grateful Dead's live sound until 1993.

The desire driving the development of the Wall of Sound was for a distortion-free sound system that could serve as its own monitor system. After Owsley Stanley was released from prison in late 1972, he, along with Dan Healey, Mark Raizene of the Grateful Dead's sound crew, and Ron Wickersham, Rick Turner, and John Curl of Alembic Inc accomplished this by essentially combining eleven separate sound systems. Vocals, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and piano each had their own channel and set of speakers. Phil Lesh's bass was quadraphonic, each of the four strings having its own channel and set of speakers. One channel amplified the bass drum, and two channels amplified the other drums and cymbals in stereo. Because each speaker was producing the sound of just one instrument or vocalist, the sound was exceptionally clear and intermodulation distortion between instruments was nonexistent.

The Wall of Sound was designed to act as its own monitor system, and it was therefore assembled behind the band so the members could hear exactly what their audience was hearing. Because of this, a special microphone system had to be designed to prevent feedback. The Dead used matched pairs of condenser microphones spaced 60mm apart and run out-of-phase. The vocalist sang into the top microphone, and the lower mic picked up whatever other sound was present in the stage environment. The signals were summed, the sound that was common to both mics (the sound from the Wall) was cancelled, and only the vocals were amplified..
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Grateful_Dead
Quote:
Because of the technology available at the time, this resulted in poor vocal quality.

I saw the Dead using this system--it wasn't all that great. Anyway, I don't think that is why Plant was holding two mics taped together.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

When Plant saw Jimmy Page playing that ugly thing with two necks, he shouted "then I'm gonna use two mics"..dfegad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search