The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode NT1-A vs. Studio Projects C-1
Old 12th March 2006
Here for the gear

Rode NT1-A vs. Studio Projects C-1

I am looking to buy one of the aforementioned microphones. I need an inexpensive ($200 or less) large-condenser for my home studio for demo stuff. I have narrowed it down to the Rode NT1-A and the Studio Projects C-1. I am using it on vox, acoustic guitar, strings, etc. Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12th March 2006
Here for the gear

I am usin C1 for vox and acustic rec. and its a really really good mic. But they say that you cannot beat the rode K2 if you working with vocals and acoustic ins...... ??

Old 12th March 2006
Gear Nut

I had a C1 once. I hated it. It wasn't very dimensional, it wasn't all that detailed, and it was very bright. I've never had a rode nt1, but I've had a rode classic, and the C1 wasn't even close to what a good mic sounds like. It's good to have a least one decent vocal mic. Save up and spend the extra money on something of good quality.
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Nut

i have an nt1a and really like it. i think its worthy investment that will get use. i also have a studio projects b1 and that thing is sweet for a hundred dollar mic. i am pretty sure both will have many uses. id say i would probably get the nt1a first.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

I own a NT1-A, but worked with both in the past, and found the C1 to be much better than the NT1-A... more open, more detailed, and more musical in almost all the applications I tried them in... vocals, ac. guitar, and other acoustic instruments like flute, harmonica, percussion, etc...
Besides, the max. SPL of the C1 is slightly higher... not a great deal, but I remember situations where I had to swap mics because the NT1-A couldn't handle the pressure.
I only have the NT1-A cause it's a really cheap mic for when you need a lot of them (big ensembles), but if someone ofered me a C1 in exchange for my NT1-A, I wouldn't think twice.
Sorry if I'm confusing you, as I seem to have a different idea from the previous posters, but that's my experience. It might be a question of taste, who knows...
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Addict

I've had both and loved neither. The C1 is more useful if you know how to hit it with the EQ.... and it takes EQ ok. The Rode was almost useless for my purposes. I actually liked the C1 alot under snare and for it's ok some vocals (if you ramp it down above about 4Khz a few db).
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear
A much, much nicer mic than either of these is the AT4040.
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozraves
A much, much nicer mic than either of these is the AT4040.
....+1
Old 13th March 2006
Gear Maniac

I did try an older version of the NT1, the one with the plastic body, and I thought it was absolute rubbish.
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

I have two of the NT1-a mics and I like them quite a bit. I haven't tried the C1 though.
-Mike
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

A buddy of mine used to have a nt1-a and I really did think it sounded very well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search