The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Exporting wav Files from Logic, Into Pro-Tools DAW Software
Old 4th July 2011
Here for the gear

Exporting wav Files from Logic, Into Pro-Tools

Hello all!

On a regular basis I send off my Logic sessions to be mixed and mastered in Pro-Tools. What routinely happens is after I export all the files individually with whatever effects I want printed, etc; when the files open in Pro-Tools they are all almost always stereo files. Even when recorded mono (vocals, guitars, etc.), most will transfer over as stereo therefore adding more work to the mixing engineer in the arrange window.

I have exported the sessions as OMF files before, and this fixes that issue but I have found the export to be inconsistant and not work every time.

Is there a way to prevent audio files in Logic to not end up as stereo files once they are opened in Pro Tools? When I bounce the tracks (if I want the effects from the busses printed), this does not occur. However, there should be a way when exporting to prevent this right?
Old 5th July 2011
I do this all the time. I track mainly in logic and mix in pro tools. OMF works great, but if you have inserts you want to keep like a compressor or reverb itb then bouncing is your only option. If you are only using mono plug ins and you want to keep the bounce mono it's a fairly painless process.
1. Solo out the track you want to bounce
2. Make sure it's mono
3. Click on the stereo button of output 1-2 and change it to mono (double circle will change to single circle)
4. Hit the little 'bnce' button on the output 1-2 track and your track that is soloed will bounce as mono
Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Matt Greco
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Logic OMF for 3rd party mixing

I'm having a very difficult time with OMF export. I keep getting error messages that refer to something called MOB - "...not found in file". I exported one 10 min. project (created in 64-bit) successfully. All other attempts have ended up crashing Logic with these error messages.
What does itb stand for when you mention them in inserts? I tried exporting "all tracks as audio" and then from there without any processing whatsoever on the created tracks tried to export to OMF without any luck. Do you have any idea of what the problem here may be? Or of another way I can get a rough mix from Logic to an engineer who mixes in Cubase or Pro Tools? Thanks
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

I do the same thing. I usually just export the Logic stuff as-is and then when I goto ProTools, I use the "Split to mono" on a track. Then I get rid of the stereo and other mono track.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search