The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sound reduction in my room - please help, my parents are going to kill me
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Maniac

sound reduction in my room - please help, my parents are going to kill me

is there an inexpensive way to at least REDUCE the sound (mostly bass) coming out of my room?

my parents' room is right across from mine and they're ready to shoot themselves, or me, whichever is more convenient at the time.

i've attached a detailed, high-resolution image of the situation at hand.
Attached Thumbnails
sound reduction in my room - please help, my parents are going to kill me-soundproofing.jpg  
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Try turning down your monitors. Honestly, that's the best solution. There's not much you can do there unless you wanna make your room the size of a coffin. Most of the sound is probably escaping thru the bathroom. You could try setting up a baffle to shield the door, that would help. They're still gonna hear it if you're blasting it, no matter what you do.
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Maniac

LOL! I sympathize with your plight.

Try asking your question to these fine folks:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scius
is there an inexpensive way to at least REDUCE the sound (mostly bass) coming out of my room?
I hate to write your tomb stone, but .... No there is no cheap way to reduce the bass coming from your room... not in any significant way at least.

Nice pictures!
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Addict

Man... in my days with the grupp's, the old man pointed to the garage...
Not a word was ever exchanged. stike
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

There's a way to do it, but it's going to require a floating floor, and new walls. Wonder if your parents will really hate you then...

Might wanna check out some good headphones

Also, if you have subs, try getting them off the floor and isolated from the floor with spike feet or thick rubber pads. Same for your speakers if the stands are touching the flooring. This will help a little, but not a lot.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Kick parents out of their room. Tell them that is your new control room. Track in your bedroom. Problem solved!
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Headphones.

Sadly, the best, cheapest, & easiest answer given that you aren't planning (or able to facilitate) a complete build-out of your room, is to monitor on GOOD headphones.

Hey- it could be worse. thumbsup
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Maniac

There's a quick way to lower the db's from your room that I use in my house on every door to reduce the sound level. Bass you can't do anything about, but for mids and highs this solution may save your life. heh

Get some door gasket seal from Home Depot, not the foam kind but the rubber kind with an adhesive strip. I use M-D Building products Tear Drop Profile Ultra Weatherseal Silicone Rubber Door gasket. What you do is place it along the door jam so it barely touches the door, you don't want the door to compress it or the door won't shut. Don't worry about the bottom of the door, just do the top and sides and you will be amazed at the sound reduction. Get the white color or your parents will make you paint it since it will be visible from the hall.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

That seems like a good suggestion, Diablo. I'll have to give that a try. Is there anyway to address the larger gap at the bottom of the door?

To the original poster, maybe you can look into using smaller monitors.
Old 12th March 2006
Set it up so that at night you flip a 100hz bass cut off - accross your mix...

Then as soon as they are out the house

DROP THE BASS BACK IN

(or - Mom is it OK if Bootsy Collins stays for dinner?_

heh
Attached Images
sound reduction in my room - please help, my parents are going to kill me-bootsy-collins-new-york.jpg 

Last edited by Jules; 12th March 2006 at 07:55 AM..
Old 12th March 2006

You better get to investing in a good set of headphones.... For the music you are doing probably the Sony MDRV700's.... $100-ish.
Old 12th March 2006

Also, nothing beats the Sony Super Lights, but those are around $600-ish...
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Mixing w HP sux ass.

Unless it's only for 15 - 30 mins or so IMHO.
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat
Mixing w HP sux ass.
headphones or high-pass?
Old 12th March 2006

Well despite the negative replies, you might not be able to eliminate the bass thru the walls, but you can certainly reduce it by adding extra layers of dry wall to the existing walls. Ideally, a layer on resilinet channels will further help by introducing a small airgap.

It's all about mass, the more mass you add to the structure, the better the structure will be at containing bass. This would have to apply to the floor, ceiling and doors too. Without a shell within a shell type construction, you will always have the problem of structure bourne noise however.

Is the floor wooden or concrete?

Cheers
Tim.
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Addict

It won't matter what you do, if they don't like the music, they will not like your hobby at any decibel level. The headphones is your best bet; just watch the decibel level there too
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown
Kick parents out of their room. Tell them that is your new control room. Track in your bedroom. Problem solved!
haha amazing

-t
Old 13th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
That seems like a good suggestion, Diablo. I'll have to give that a try. Is there anyway to address the larger gap at the bottom of the door?

To the original poster, maybe you can look into using smaller monitors.
For my room (not my kids rooms), I put tiles of 3 inch thick solid foam around the door covering the frame and extending down to the carpet. I put duct tape around the foam that's touching the carpet so it will slide on the carpet. This pretty much seals the door. I can sing and play acoustic guitar in the middle of the night without bothering anyone across the hall. I just pick up the foam where ever I could and patched it together. I use the big dry wall screws and fender washers to hold the foam to the door.

In the picture, the whole door used to be covered, the two pieces of missing foam fell off and I never bothered to put them back up because it still reduces a lot of sound. It's just a crappy hollow core door too.

The bummer of treating your door with the door gasket and the foam is that when you are in the room you cannot hear anything in the rest of the house. No doorbell, no stove alarm, and no parents yelling. heh

The wife (now ex), who never remembered her house key, learned to kick the side of the house when she was locked out because I couldn't hear the doorbell. The low frequency vibrations come right on through.
Attached Thumbnails
sound reduction in my room - please help, my parents are going to kill me-dsc01343x.jpg  
Old 13th March 2006
Gear Maniac

thanks for all the suggestions guys

i think i'm going to try the drywall and the door treatment first...if that doesn't work i'll use the high pass method, and if THAT doesn't work then i'll reluctantly go to headphones.

i'll let you know how it all turns out, if i'm still alive
Old 14th March 2006

Remember - bass is REALLY hard to hold back...

Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Dude, scrap the drywall idea, you don't want to get into that mess at all. There really isn't much you can do. Bass travels, hell its travels for blocks if its loud enough. Whoever said you'd have to make your room the size of a coffin to keep sound from passing thru isn't totally incorrect. With the drywall you'll kill the highs and mids but not much is going to kill the lows but mass, and lots of it. I mean to do what you really want will probably run you into the thousands.
Old 14th March 2006
try decoupling the speakers from the ground, or walls. some heavy stones and spikes will do the trick. simple but effective. it may alter your sound, so you have to get used to it again.
Old 14th March 2006
One with big hooves

What kind of monitors do you have & more importantly, what's the position in the room? What are they sitting on? If they're on some kind of hollow speaker stands...well...there's 'yer problem! Get some sand from the hardware store & fill 'em in! If the monitors are pushed up against the wall and/or in a corner then pulling them so they're at least a foot away from the boundries.

Beyond that bass trapping can start to work but the door seal is MUCH better bet. To seal the bottom of the door you can install a retractable threshold or build a permanant one, but replacing the hollow door with a solid one would yeild MUCH better results.
Old 14th March 2006

Buy the headphones and save yourself the headache....

Your parents are going to kill you if you turn your bedroom into a construction site!
Old 14th March 2006

If you really want to feel the bass, buy some Aura shakers and attach them to your chair. That and some great headphones will help you to experience the bass. It's definitely a better idea than screwing drywall all over the place and not getting any results...
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

how you be bangin' all those hotties on you myspace site when yo 'rents is right across da hall, yo?
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Addict

Like many have said, its difficult to stop bass frequencies from traveling. It requires mass, or better yet, mass, with an air pocket, and mass again.

Don't confuse sound treatment with sound isolation. You can fill your room with 5 feet of foam, and it won't make a bit of difference in bass frequencies traveling through the walls.

Some have suggested using a high pass filter, and this would probably help, but of course would kill all the fun of it for you.

How about getting one of those "kickers" that drummers use for monitoring electronic drums and the like.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...nes?sku=482251

Use a high pass filter, and mount this to your chair.

????????????
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scius
thanks for all the suggestions guys

i think i'm going to try the drywall and the door treatment first...if that doesn't work i'll use the high pass method, and if THAT doesn't work then i'll reluctantly go to headphones.

i'll let you know how it all turns out, if i'm still alive
The best advice someone mentioned here was to just turn your monitors down.

It's not as fun as blasting the things at 105 db, but your ears and your parents will thank you.

You don't need loudness to hear detail... in a lot of cases loudness can mask detail.

Spend your money treating your room, and buying better monitors.

You can create great mixes with your monitors turned no louder than your TV set... it takes a little discipline... just try it!
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Cheapest way: Headphones/work when they aren't there
Alternative: Moving out?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search