The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sound reduction in my room - please help, my parents are going to kill me
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Here's the cheapest way to fix the problem: MOVE OUT.
Old 14th March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister
Like many have said, its difficult to stop bass frequencies from traveling. It requires mass, or better yet, mass, with an air pocket, and mass again.

Don't confuse sound treatment with sound isolation. You can fill your room with 5 feet of foam, and it won't make a bit of difference in bass frequencies traveling through the walls.

Some have suggested using a high pass filter, and this would probably help, but of course would kill all the fun of it for you.

How about getting one of those "kickers" that drummers use for monitoring electronic drums and the like.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...nes?sku=482251

Use a high pass filter, and mount this to your chair.

????????????
The Aura does the same thing for $38....
Old 14th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
Yes, find a girlfriend that has a defitive crush on musicians.
Or is a narcoleptic, at least sleeps really good, or both.
Old 14th March 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79
Dude, scrap the drywall idea, you don't want to get into that mess at all. There really isn't much you can do. Bass travels, hell its travels for blocks if its loud enough. Whoever said you'd have to make your room the size of a coffin to keep sound from passing thru isn't totally incorrect. With the drywall you'll kill the highs and mids but not much is going to kill the lows but mass, and lots of it. I mean to do what you really want will probably run you into the thousands.
I'm sorry, but adding layers of dry wall WILL increase the mass of the structure, period. If you take precautions to decouple the loudspeakers and beef up the door, make sure it has proper seals, then you WILL reduce the transmission of low frequencies. It won't be 100% sound proof, but it might be enough to be able to listen at a reasonable volume with out annoying others. Hopefully there is insulation in the walls and they are not hollow.

If you have a wooden floor on piles, then something needs to be done to beef that up to, and perhaps a weighted carpet underlay will do this.

And if you think I am talking bull****, I have designed treatment for a band music room in a house to this sort of spec, and it worked OK. Parents and kids all happy!

Thank you
Tim.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1073
how you be bangin' all those hotties on you myspace site when yo 'rents is right across da hall, yo?
**** homie, you should know to never let a hoe know where you live, right? being in a super awesome band with ultra-hot groupies, i can't have millions of model chicks swarming my place, it's a liability.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
The best advice someone mentioned here was to just turn your monitors down.

It's not as fun as blasting the things at 105 db, but your ears and your parents will thank you.

You don't need loudness to hear detail... in a lot of cases loudness can mask detail.

Spend your money treating your room, and buying better monitors.

You can create great mixes with your monitors turned no louder than your TV set... it takes a little discipline... just try it!
i don't always listen with my monitors loud, but sometimes i like to turn them up for brief periods say when the track is all done, just to hear it in it's room-shaking glory.

but my dad is ALWAYS home so he complains if my music is loud for even 5 minutes.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
i don't know where you live, but in my area (san clemente) it's around 800/month for a single bedroom apartment.
Old 14th March 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
I'm sorry, but adding layers of dry wall WILL increase the mass of the structure, period. If you take precautions to decouple the loudspeakers and beef up the door, make sure it has proper seals, then you WILL reduce the transmission of low frequencies. It won't be 100% sound proof, but it might be enough to be able to listen at a reasonable volume with out annoying others. Hopefully there is insulation in the walls and they are not hollow.
Yup, but for the layers & layers of drywall to work & do what they're supposed to do...the WHOLE structure has to be built right from the start. We're talking multiple layers w/ overlapping seams all caulked up tight to each other & to the floor etc. Plus the infastructure of the wall is entirely different in a home build vs. a studio build. Then there's the whole deal about how the walls are coupled to the floor & ceiling and blah and blee...

I know I'm preachin' to the choir here.

Simply tossing layers of sheetrock onto a "regular" house wall won't have quite the same effect as adding multiple layers in a properly built "studio" wall. If anything the kid might hang all that rock & it might not do much of anything...especailly if the 'problem' is more about transmission & vibration and not plain old SPL.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
If you really want to feel the bass, buy some Aura shakers and attach them to your chair. That and some great headphones will help you to experience the bass. It's definitely a better idea than screwing drywall all over the place and not getting any results...
tony, have you used those shakers? i don't know much about them but they seem a little "hokey" to me. sounds like they're worth checking out though for only 30 bucks.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

the main problem is my sub...i guess i could just try to live without it for awhile.

but listening to hip hop without a sub is like trying to have sex with your clothes on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search