The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who records to cdr or back into computer?
Old 11th March 2006
Lives for gear

Who records to cdr or back into computer?

What are most people using to complete their mixdowns where a desk is involved in the chain these days?

Back into the computer through your convertors?

Or to something like a cd recorder or masterlink?

What do you feel is the best option?

Thanks

Dan
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

Both. No real price difference between printing to one or those 2 formats (but the 1" 2-trk is awesome). Depends what converters the client wants to use to the CDR/PT, but it does leave the mastering engineer the choice between the 2.
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
Back into the computer through your convertors?

yep.
works best for me.
using Lynx Aurora 16.
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.

Do you feel that there is a big difference in quality between the cd-recorders most studios have and recording back in through convertors (such as the lynx and apogee)?

My gut feeling is that the convertors in the cd recorders would not be as good as in the standalone convertors? I havent really got the option to try this side by side so other slutz opinions are much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

When I was working in LA I typically saw people printing back to their DAW, as well as, to a Masterlink and DAT. I would stay away from the converters in the Masterlink and DAT. They don’t really sound all that great and you would hopefully be a lot happier using a good quality 2 channel AD/DA. I would check out the Apogee Rosetta 200 and Lavry Blue. I have seen both converters in some pretty rockin’ LA studios.
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Zach-great info.
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

We record back into the computer- sometimes hitting off analog 2 track.
Old 13th March 2006
Lives for gear

I take one straight back into the PC and one to my Studer A810 and back into the PC. The A810 mix sounds best to me and my clients 90% of the time, I love that little beauty
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwinter
When I was working in LA I typically saw people printing back to their DAW, as well as, to a Masterlink and DAT. I would stay away from the converters in the Masterlink and DAT. They don’t really sound all that great and you would hopefully be a lot happier using a good quality 2 channel AD/DA.
I agree unless you're just using this for a ref and not doing anything with the CD, but if you have the AD converter, then have it hooked up full time to your CDR/DATs. We have the Rosetta 200 on the front end of our CDRs and Dat (and AD16x on PT). Also keep the Lavry gold around as engineers choice
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

You should always print a mix back into the computer so you have a 24 bit file to work with during mastering.
Old 14th March 2006
24 bit 96K to Masterlink and tape when possible.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

24 bit back into computer.

…oh and a copy to analog tape.
90% of the time I end up using the tape version.
casette tapes rule! heh
Who records to cdr or back into computer?-casette-tapes.jpg
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for both...and then some.

- Most of the time I'll mix in file (real time) or bounce to a new separate folder called "Final Mixes(ClientName)"
- Sometimes I'll real time playback mixing to a R2R (Technics 1506), then real time playback THAT to the new folder at a higher sample rate...
-Sometimes I'll realtime playback via SPDIF/AES to another PC

Really depends on how fast I need the mix and what's intended for it next.
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
We record back into the computer- sometimes hitting off analog 2 track.
I was thinking of trying this too. Any comments on pros/cons (if any)?

regards

/D
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
24 bit 96K to Masterlink and tape when possible.
I do this too Thrill , but i assume you by-pass the AD on the Masterlink with something better , no? I'm using a Rosetta at the moment for this task .
Old 14th March 2006
Here for the gear

Straight back in to toools....

If you have great converters, use them!!!!

Personally, i have HD3, Apogee AD 16X, not only are they nice converters, but you can backup you session and you mix masters at the same time. If you need a vox up, you dont have to bother with lineing up any audio files, its all there.

If you dont have an amaizing setup and you prefer the sound of your external CD writer, then use it.

The great thing about what we all do is that there are no rules, if it sounds good, do it!!!thumbsup
Old 14th March 2006
Lives for gear

I used a Masterlink for a couple of years, great piece btw and then about a month ago I started mixing back through Nuendo. I use a digital console so I go AES/EBU back to Nuendo. For me it's so much easier and quicker keeping the mix in the computer. The Masterlink is now for sale, I don't see a need for it anymore.

YMMV
Old 14th March 2006
Gear Addict

also back into ProTools thru the converters of my L2. sounds great when the L2 is on bypassheh

cheers, Julian

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search