The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please let me know if I need anything else! Dynamic Microphones
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Addict

Please let me know if I need anything else!

I am just recording rap vocals; using an iMac 27" with 1 TB Western Digital External Harddrive; here's my set-up:

-Shure SM7B Microphone
-PreSonus Fire Studio Mobile Interface
-sE Electronics Reflexion Filter
-Stedman Pro XL Pop Filter
-Sony Professional Headphones
-Atlas Sound Pro Mic Stand
-Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000
-Live Wire Headphone Extension Cable

Does it seem like I'll need anything else? Or am I good to go?

Thanks everyone.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

This is Gearslutz. You need more.
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

You certainly don't NEED anything else to record rap vocals... a really good rapper, maybe? But I'm sure you have that already...
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
This is Gearslutz. You need more.
such as?
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

David R. is just playing ... 'cause it's GearSlutz and most of us have G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) where we can't stop buying gear. EVERYBODY always says you need more gear ... 'cause everybody WANTS more gear.

If you're happy with the sound of what you're making then you don't need anything else.
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
David R. is just playing ... 'cause it's GearSlutz and most of us have G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) where we can't stop buying gear. EVERYBODY always says you need more gear ... 'cause everybody WANTS more gear.

If you're happy with the sound of what you're making then you don't need anything else.
lol alright, i see

well thanks
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic11 View Post
I am just recording rap vocals; using an iMac 27" with 1 TB Western Digital External Harddrive; here's my set-up:

-Shure SM7B Microphone
-PreSonus Fire Studio Mobile Interface
-sE Electronics Reflexion Filter
-Stedman Pro XL Pop Filter
-Sony Professional Headphones
-Atlas Sound Pro Mic Stand
-Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000
-Live Wire Headphone Extension Cable

Does it seem like I'll need anything else? Or am I good to go?

Thanks everyone.
You NEED a better pre!!! You would benefit from better ADDA.
You would eventually benefit from having some nearfield monitors.
Oh and how long is your extension cable? Is it long enough? Maybe it should be longer. Shorter would sound better though.
Old 1st July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
You NEED a better pre!!! You would benefit from better ADDA.
You would eventually benefit from having some nearfield monitors.
Oh and how long is your extension cable? Is it long enough? Maybe it should be longer. Shorter would sound better though.
I'm not going for top notch, it's just to get heard lol.
I'll just use the samsung surround sound for the time being, although I won't benefit from using it very much;

The cords are around 20 feet. It's in a decent size room but definitely enough to fit.

What pre's do you recommend?
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looking at your setup, I would recommend a pre as well. One of my favorites for rappers is the Avalon 737.... a well rounded channel strip.
Old 1st July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Looking at your setup, I would recommend a pre as well. One of my favorites for rappers is the Avalon 737.... a well rounded channel strip.
I'm sorry, may sound amateur or noob , but will the pre just hook up to the interface?

and what is the pre going to help with?

Thank you
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd go for an Avedis MA5 and a lunchbox.. the nice thing about a lunchbox system is that you could expand with other modules... For exemple a good EQ or a nice compressor..or both.. Which could come handy while tracking (and definitely indispensable when mixing).
Or an Aurora Audio GTQC.. Even if the eq is very simple, not the most versatile for mixing, but absolutely effective, more than enough for tracking (for my needs) and sounds great!

And btw you could get an MA5 for (almost) free and help a good cause:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6619001-post29986.html

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 1st July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I'd go for an Avedis MA5 and a lunchbox.. the nice thing about a lunchbox system is that you could expand with other modules... For exemple a good EQ or a nice compressor..or both.. Which could come handy while tracking (and definitely indispensable when mixing).
Or an Aurora Audio GTQC.. Even if the eq is very simple, not the most versatile for mixing, but absolutely effective, more than enough for tracking (for my needs) and sounds great!

And btw you could get an MA5 for (almost) free and help a good cause:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6619001-post29986.html

Just my 0.02$,
Cheu
Any Pre's out there that are under $450 or $500 that would help push they whole system that I'm looking at getting?
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any Pre's out there that are under $450 or $500 that would help push they whole system that I'm looking at getting?
I'd check the classicapi stuff VP26 or 25.. if you can solder it's even cheaper..
Btw the MA5 impart his signature to the vocals.. Which is awesome IMO..
I'd save the extra 200-250$ for getting an MA5.. I think it's worthed..particularly if you intend to use it for vox..

Btw a winner will be picked up on july 4th

Bests,

Cheu
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear
If you win Cheu's MA5 (does it come with a lunchbox?) you're sorted. If not, you're problem is that the SM7B typically needs 55-65 dB or so of non-noisy gain (clean or colored it's your choice)

If you're "not going for top notch" and you're not an engineer, I think one of the best things you could do is a good ol' SM58 into a DMP3. Save some cash for other things!
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry, may sound amateur or noob , but will the pre just hook up to the interface?

and what is the pre going to help with?

Thank you
Once you try a great preamp (like the MA5 or GTQC or a Neve, etc..) you'll understand which is the difference.. heh

beside the obvious sound differences... it will sit in a different way... also stacking will be different.. and if you eq and compress, you'll notice that color even more..

I don't know..it just sounds right from the first stage..less work to do also...
you really need to try for yourself..

just my 0.02$,

Best regards,

Cheu

P.S.: if you want a good and cheap preamp for vocals, I think that the best option regarding price/quality is to DIY..
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
If you win Cheu's MA5 (does it come with a lunchbox?) you're sorted. If not, you're problem is that the SM7B typically needs 55-65 dB or so of non-noisy gain (clean or colored it's your choice)

If you're "not going for top notch" and you're not an engineer, I think one of the best things you could do is a good ol' SM58 into a DMP3. Save some cash for other things!
As Shaolin said, if you win it you'll be golden.. chances are pretty high, and if you don't win it at least you know you did something good (and more important)! heh

It doesn't come with a lunchbox, and just for clarification.. is not my MA5.. It's Avedis MA5 that he decided to give away after that I "introduced" him to the "more free stuff" thread.. He's a great guy! (just to be precise)

but you could always buy a 2 slot lunchbox.. (is a bit cheaper)

Another good preamp will be the TRP (ribbon preamp) from AEA.. no phantom power (but you don't need it with the SM7 of course) and it's clean.. very nice sounding though..

always on the clean/cheap side (but good) you might get a safesound P501.. preamp/compressor in one slot... I use it for live bckg vox.. It's very nice for what is it..

if you could try the gear before buying it.. it really depends on the voice/source... one preamp might be better than another one, despite the price..

Best regards,

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search