The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many inputs/channels can an RME Babyface record? Audio Interfaces
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

How many inputs/channels can an RME Babyface record?

I've been looking online for ages, and even downloaded the manual, and can't find an answer to a few questions that ought to be simple enough.

The Babyface has two XLR mic inputs with pre-amps on the breakout cables. There's also a 1/4inch jack input on the body of the Babyface, which can be set to be either line or instrument.
Can you record via these three simultaneously? Or am I right in thinking the Babyface is just a two-input device that can be expanded via ADAT?

If the latter's correct, are there any ADAT devices that anyone can recommend that cost less than £200?

If not, is there any point buying a Babyface? If you want to use more than 2 inputs simultaneously, aren't you better off just buying a Fireface for £700?
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm asking mainly because I'm unsure as to whether to get a Duet 2 or a Babyface.

If both of them are alike in only being able to record two channels simultaneously out the box, I'll probably opt for the Duet 2, because it seems to have more of a user-loyalty-kudos, meaning I'll be more likely to get a better price for it in 2 years' time. The Duet 2 also has the ability to bypass its preamps, unlike the Babyface, which means I get more preamp colour options overall (my outboard DAV BG1 or the Duet's built-ins). And I quite like the sound of the 'soft clip' thing too.
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Maniac

They're pretty clear that it's a 10 input device. However, if it's anything like the Fireface 800, you may be able to record using the TRS and XLR inputs that occupy the same channel simultaneously. This means you can squeeze a couple more inputs in, at the price of having two of them committed to the same tracks, which would make them a pain to edit later.
Old 29th June 2011
Gear Addict
It's 10 input device but only 2 of those are analog. They list the instrument input separately, so not sure if you can use at the same time...

Dan
Old 29th June 2011
Here for the gear

There are 2 analog inputs with pre amps, which can be used as line ins when the gain is set to zero. If you use the DI ( instrument)input on the side of the babyface, then you only have 1 other analog pre amp input. Then there are 2 spdif in puts and 8 ADAT inputs
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

OK, so as far as my needs go, it's a two-input device.

Long-term then, it's not nearly as good value for money as the Fireface UC. Because that has 6 x 1/4" TRS (4 x Line, 2 x Line/Instrument), 2 x XLR/TRS (2 x Mic/Line).

For £750, I get 8 analogue inputs, including two DIs. As compared to the Babyface's £450 2 analogue inputs, one of which can be used as a DI. For what I do, that's pretty much four times the functionality for less than twice the price. That's a good ratio.

Can any Fireface UC users let me know whether preamps can be bypassed if using an XLR input?
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Nut

Can you connect an external preamp (FMR RNP in my case) to the RME babyface?
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Can you connect an external preamp (FMR RNP in my case) to the RME babyface?

An RME forum mediator told me that you can bypass the built-in preamps on the XLR inputs by simply turning their gain to zero.

Or rather, he said this doesn't 100% bypass the preamps, but that you'd be really hard-pressed to hear any sound coloration whatsoever: you'd be hearing the sound of your FMR RNP, in your case.

Is that what you meant?

I went for a Fireface UC in the end, by the way. Decided I needed more than two analogue inputs. Should be turning up end of the week.
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Nut

And how can I connect the RNP? The Babyface only has one line input! Can I use the two channels found in the RNP at the same time?
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

You'd run two cables from the two outputs on the FMR RNP into the two mic inputs on the Babyface.

The Babyface has only 1 line input, but it has two mic inputs. The line input is on the side of the Babyface itself; the mic inputs are among the breakout cables.

(When you plug an instrument, eg an electric guitar, into the line input on the Babyface, it takes the place of one of the mic inputs. The Babyface is a 2-analogue-input device. This confused me initially: I wrongly thought it might have allowed 3 simultaneous analogue inputs.)

You might even find that, on some sources, you prefer the sound of the Babyface's built-in preamp to your RNP.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

On the RME Babybace, can you use both the analog and digital inputs at the same time for 4 channel recording? ....... (external A/D converter on the digital input, combined with the 2 analog inputs)

How about the Fireface UC;.... both Analog & Digital input recording at the same time?

Thanks!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony777 View Post
On the RME Babybace, can you use both the analog and digital inputs at the same time for 4 channel recording? ....... (external A/D converter on the digital input, combined with the 2 analog inputs)

How about the Fireface UC;.... both Analog & Digital input recording at the same time?

Thanks!
Anyone help with this answer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search